Galway

Not going but I'd say it will be a cracking week as always.

Apparently there are racehorses running nearby again this year as well.

Last edited:
Always love it. Should have won the hurdle with Iron Man two years ago but Paddy made an unusual exit through the rails.

Love this festival from a betting point of view - just back everything Dermot Weld and Mrs John Harrington run and you will make a profit. I think there's some races at this festival that Dermot Weld has won 20 years running or something like that - Incredible!! :thumbsup:

I remember that race with Iron Man, Mr Owen - I backed him because i'd backed him in the Summer Plate and he won so easy - he had a great year that year - how is he and what's his nickname?

Last edited:
From a punting perspective I would like to sit back and only get involved when horses go ridiculously short.Had a good punting week last year -will be swerving Goodwood-I know it's better class but I find it hard to back winners there.

Love this festival from a betting point of view - just back everything Dermot Weld and Mrs John Harrington run and you will make a profit. I think there's some races at this festival that Dermot Weld has won 20 years running or something like that - Incredible!! :thumbsup:

I remember that race with Iron Man, Mr Owen - I backed him because i'd backed him in the Summer Plate and he won so easy - he had a great year that year - how is he and what's his nickname?

just coming back after last years Summer Plate. Cantering and will run again soon. A big result. We ought to call him Lucky really as I didn`t think he would make it.
Will see him tomorrow at Peter Bowen`s open day. All welcome.

just coming back after last years Summer Plate. Cantering and will run again soon. A big result. We ought to call him Lucky really as I didn`t think he would make it.
Will see him tomorrow at Peter Bowen`s open day. All welcome.

Wish I could come down but it was father-in-laws 76th birthday this week and I've been roped into cooking Sunday lunch for all the family as mother-in-law can't cope.(17 family members turning up)

Would have loved to see Royal Scoundrel (hopefully good things to come for him this season) & Always Waining (the 2011 Grand National winner) fingers crossed.

Considering he beat a classic placed horse when he won his maiden Ballyhaunis has been a real disappointment.Place lay for me.

The 2yo maiden looks like being a serious betting heat, obviously Im with Tashqeel. What of Silas Mariner in the 8.05?

A Word Apart has been installed as evens (or odds on in places) which is way too short - think that was a weak enough maiden he ran in.

Have backed Tashqeel while I prefer Alexander Pope to the other O'Brien runner Robin Hood.

Agree about the Weld horse being too short. From a form perspective, Robin Hood's second to Pathfork sets a decent enough form standard.

Tashqeel looks a big price but I'm happy enough to lay A Word Apart at evens to be honest.

I don't agree about the Weld horse being too short. On the day, his maiden didn't look too shabby with Patronus Maximus looking in a little trouble at the time he slipped.

The form has been let down, but taking into account that Weld rarely has them right first time out, it probably was a satisfactory run even if it wasn't a good maiden. His price on the day, given big race entries(which I can't see but Sporting Life assures me they are there), seem to indicate a whole heap more improvement than normal. Weld also takes an almost unhealthy interest in this maiden, whereas AOB doesn't bring anything expected to have much talent to this track.

I wouldn't want to be relying on him losing to pay the electricity bill.

Surprised to see her out at Galway - can be tricky in a big field but I think she looks a Group 2/3 filly in the making at the very least.

I would question that - not many Weld horses improve that much for their debuts. Generally pretty straight.

It's fairly easy to see the ones he's laying out for Galway though ~ generally running on in 6f Curragh maidens around June time.

I love how there are 6 other races on the card (including the GPT) and we haven't moved beyond the 2yo maiden! :D

Last edited:
Tashqeel now a top price 3/1. His first run was full of promise and McDonagh knew the writing was on the wall two out (the winner was given too much rope by the field) and I would expect him to run a very big race.

Is it still 7/2 about Robin Hood (don't have access to prices in work)? If anything, he ran a more promising race than Tashqeel at the Curragh, and has since improved to finish second in a hot-looking maiden.

4/1 with Betfred, Sportingbet and StanJames. 7/2 with Powers, Ladbrokes, Skybet and William Hill.

DONT GET SUCKED IN!

Looks like Shark Hanlon is putting the money down (or someone is anyway) on his horse Acclaimed in the Handicap Hurdle, as short as 8/1 (VC, Powers and Coral for Gearoid) now.

Any money for Dul Ar An Ol would be significant in the handicap hurdle. A lot depends on the ground; if there is a genuine ease a line can be drawn through a fair few in that handicap hurdle.

Im throwing a few quid on Maytide to upset the Weld horse in the bumper. Ran a fair debut race at Leopardstown and shouldnt be hindered by the slower ground on breeding.

Back