Galway

The gamble on Rainforest Magic in the second last suggests Mr Weld has been learning from Sir Bloody, or is it vice versa?

Slight change of plan -backed the last winner at Wolverhampton -now have free ew bet on Tashqeel with favourable ew terms.sure to end in tears.

A nice quiet ride, letting his willing horse pick up any time something closed up on him.

There was plenty of money for Alexander Pope to be placed in that maiden. More to come from him. I had a bit on him at 7/4.

Deegan's ran well in the two year old race and just won the handicap. That Weld runner just didn't look like the type he normally wins those handicaps with although might have been pulled up lame. Rainforest Magic looks like his type!

Great win for Mikey Fogarty too. He's come on so much in the last 18 months. He started off very weak and making a few mistakes but he's developed into a clever, strong rider. He's winning left right and centre. Rode a great race on Defying gravity at listowel, Luna Runner from the front in Wexford, Don't Be Bitin x2. He's well worth his 5lbs.

Last edited:
I was quite sweet on the chances of Don Leone this morning but not at that price. You need a hardy individual to win around there and not sure I'd like to take the chance on his experience at that price.

Was there an enquiry? I had no bet but Heffernan was squeezed into the rail by the claimer who had his whip in the wrong hand. If I backed the fav Id feel hard done by.

Not sure it made much difference. The other jocks should have been shot for giving Heffernan such an easy lead. Only the winner chased.

True, he was getting it gift wrapped. McDonagh was almost put through the rail at the start in 7.00 but having been held up the last few runs I never saw his draw as a massive positive.

Serious chasing got me back to a respectable level -though not profit.What I said at the start of the thread about laying ridiculously short ones -I think Why was a definite lay at odds on.

I think any odds on shot, other than a Weld one, is a lay at Galway. the racing is so competitive, even the outsiders have a chance, as we saw in the 2yo maiden.

Go on Lucky Beguine!! The Mulvaney horses ran well yest and this one was well supported in the place market. 6/1 did nicely. You don't have to back the winners to make money. I'll be keeping my eye out for more runners from the yard later in the week.

Just the six winners so far for Weld at the meet.

He has started that way before but doesn't keep up the pace through the end of the week. There are plenty of races that suit his horses on day 1 and 2. I'd say he has another 4/5 winners for the next five days.

The hugely successful Galway Festival continues to buck all economic trends, with far more people and much more money being bet at Tuesday's meeting, than last year's corresponding fixture.Today's attendance, in common with yesterday's, was up on last year's total, with 17,860 people attending Tuesday's meeting, up 2,119 (13%) on last year.
The bookmaker total was 11% up on last year's figure, with €1,850,346 being bet this year while the Tote's figure of €967,172 was up €155,000 on last year's figure.

Back