Galway

A good sign for the economy, but, on memory, weren't figures down about 25% last year. If so it's still 10% or so down on 2008 figures. A bit like car sales, there's only so low you can go. Still a significant increase.

How are the standard Ballinrobe type meetings going, do you know?

Last edited:
I would think alot of people not travelling abroad this year might take in the Galway races on their stay at home holiday.

Maybe the improved road is having an impact. I wouldn't be surprised if attendances are up because people can get home afterwards without the expense of a night in a hotel.

Interesting that there were two smashing betting races last night, the maiden and the bumper, yet the Tote was down. Then when you throw in a bunch of handicaps, the Tote is up!

Slieveardagh has a very interesting profile in the hurdle tomorrow despite his lack of experience. Looked very much as if he had a bit up his sleeve in winning what looks a decent Killarney handicap and I'd be fairly hopeful that this stiffer two miles will bring about further improvement. 7lb rise looks fair enough, with the expected decent gallop expected to suit as well as he has looked quite a keen sort.

Fosters Cross makes some appeal off 2lb higher than when running a good race until tipping up at the last last year as well at 25's. The better ground should be a further help to his chance. Whilst the favourite and Dirar have to be particularly, it doesn't seem as if this year's renewal is as competitive as year's past.

Must admit, I never expected Pop Rock to be turning up at Galway after seeing him run so well at Melbourne a couple of seasons back!

Back