Gamble foiled - by the BHA !

wilsonl

Senior Jockey
Not really sure what to make of this, from today’s RP

Trainer Sean Curran was left "flabbergasted" after his heavily backed runner Aces Full was prevented from running two minutes before he was due to take part in the novice handicap chase.
The stewards ordered the horse to be withdrawn following a request from the BHA’s integrity department to interview connections.
Aces Full had been off the track since being pulled up last October but attracted strong support during the morning, being cut from 14-1 to 9-4.
Curran said: “I am shocked and flabbergasted at what has happened and I don’t know why it’s been done. As far as I know I have not broken any rules. The horse is owned by my cousin Joe English but has been leased to me.
“He runs under my other name John Curran and I pay all the entry fees and jockey fees. It’s strange that there was no problem when he ran under my name last time and it makes me think the BHA has just taken action this time because the bookmakers have been concerned about the gamble.
“I have put a lot of work into this horse and all that time and money has been wasted now. I thought he would win today, although I was a little concerned by the horrible weather at Exeter.
“Joe would have backed the horse I'm sure, but he’s retired so I don’t believe he would have had a lot of money on. We are not a big stable and we need winners like this to make ends meet.”
At the request of the integrity department, the stewards had asked the trainer to provide information regarding the selection of the race for the gelding, their expectations and the riding instructions.
Mark Scully, a spokesman for the BHA, said: “We are unable to provide any further details on this matter at the present time.”

You can bet they had the horse flagged because some idiot thought it wasn't off a yard at Stratford.

He actually looked like a decent sort held up by Richie McLernon and seem to travel well but kept losing a bit of ground at each fence despite jumping well enough.

Richie found himslef having to bump him along several times like something was amiss. Eventually despite Richie doing a Paddy Brenna bump along and getting absolutely no response he pulled him up.

Asked for a reason by the stewards the excuse was "he made a noise" which is perfectly feasable considering the way he ran.

They get him home find and solve the problem and an obvious good horse starts to improve.

Unless you want to call connections liars the BHA are way out of order on this one IMO.

"We need winners like this" Declaring it the winner without it having run tells you it was "on" good and proper. I've leased a horse from my cousin, run it under my " other " name and gambled the balls off it. All sounds completely innocent to me :) You gotta love 'em

I think that was my concern Danny. I’m all for the smaller trainer truly plotting one up but that sounded as bent as hell and then they cry foul when someone steps in.

Exactly what has he done wrong Wilson?. Do you know?

You can accuse them of cheating but without physical proof the horse was never in another yard to start with it is purely circumstantial evidence which doesn't mean ****.

I don't know the exact details so I am just winging it but aren't you guys doing the same.?

You’re right Fist, I don’t know that they’ve done anything wrong, hence my opening post but those words which Danny quoted suggested they were at best - less than transparent. Why lease the horse and run under your “other name” ?

It may be there are logistical reasons that made it necessary but to the masses it smells of wrongdoings

The horse is registered as being trained by Sean Curran and owned by John Curran. This is hardly an elaborate deception, most people would assume the two names were at least closely associated, even if few would have known they referred to the same individual.

The most likely scenario to me is that, after Aces Full's first run for him, Sean Curran was able to identify and have treated something that had been ailing the horse and that yesterday it was finally ready to return to the form of its debut run two and a half years, and two trainers, ago. Is it then a crime to back it accordingly? I don't think so. Unless there was some additional element of hookery involved I don't see why there is a problem.

I can't remember seeing this happen before either.

So maybe it sets a dangerous precedent aswell?

There is also the possibility to consider that the horse may not be as good on the racecourse as they believe him to be at home, and he may, therefore, not have actually won yesterday.

I would suggest that investigating improvement after it has actually been shown to have happened would be the correct course of action, not beforehand based on betting patterns.

There is also the possibility to consider that the horse may not be as good on the racecourse as they believe him to be at home, and he may, therefore, not have actually won yesterday.

I would suggest that investigating improvement after it has actually been shown to have happened would be the correct course of action, not beforehand based on betting patterns.

But if it had won,the bookies would have lost and we cant have that now can we.

Since when was it a crime to move ahorse from a licence holder Patrick Breen to a licence holder Sean Curran even if he's your damn father.

This is like that Clown Bragg indiciting Donald Trump then trying to find a crime later.

Since when was it a crime to move ahorse from a licence holder Patrick Breen to a licence holder Sean Curran even if he's your damn father.

This is like that Clown Bragg indiciting Donald Trump then trying to find a crime later.

Trump needs locking up for a long long time.

I think that was my concern Danny. I’m all for the smaller trainer truly plotting one up but that sounded as bent as hell and then they cry foul when someone steps in.

Personally I can see why he's sore as this goes on day in day and has done for years so I can understand him wondering why he's the one that's been singled out. But like when a gaffer at work collars you for something you "shouldn't be doing" that everybody else "is doing" you have 2 options you can point fingers moan and create a bigger fuss and everyone gets dragged down with you or you accept that life ain't fair sometimes, so you take your medicine and keep your mouth shut.

I think it sets a very unpleasant precedent.......basically means bookies can cry wolf, whenever they're in the process of having their pants pulled down...........the justification for refusing to let the horse run seems very thin to me.

Last edited:
Just noticed the Englands landed a touch with Whataboutyoueh.

In his last 2 runs in Novemeber he went off at odds somwhere around 300 and 670 on the machine.

On the books 125/1 and 125/1

Today he goes of at 0/30 but the BHA don't stop him from running and winning why????? I thought that was the done thing now

Just noticed the Englands landed a touch with Whataboutyoueh.

In his last 2 runs in Novemeber he went off at odds somwhere around 300 and 670 on the machine.

On the books 125/1 and 125/1

Today he goes of at 0/30 but the BHA don't stop him from running and winning why????? I thought that was the done thing now

Can you empty your mailbox please.

This is like that Clown Bragg indicting Donald Trump then trying to find a crime later.

"Postman Pat " Breen trained Apache Gold to win his first race, his only winner under rules.
He has stables and gallops outside Youghal and at that time deliver post from Mallow 45 miles away.
4.30 am starts were the norm with Postman Pat.

Back