George Washington

Two of my horses sustained their tendon injuries (we think) at Wolverhampton before the change of surface.

I still find it hard to believe he is no longer with us. I know some pople may say he is only a racehorse but somehow losing some horses have a big effect on me when they die in such tragic circumstances.

My personal tribute to Gorgeous George is to have him as my screensaver at the moment. :luv:

Originally posted by Powerscourt@Oct 27 2007, 11:17 PM
Same Breeders....both George and Barbaro.. same result ..sad
No one likes to see it happen but the only difference being Coolmore have the best outcome. They get the insurance money as George was no good at stud and would have been no use to them after racing. And the other owners would be thousands out of pocket after not doing the right thing in my opinion.

Excellent article in The Times, although sadly it says only one mare is carrying a foal to him:

George Washington suffers tragic finale

Death of brilliant four-year-old caps a miserable night for European raiders in New Jersey on Saturday night

Julian Muscat in New Jersey

Somewhere in Italy, a broodmare seven months pregnant roams the paddocks. She is the only known mare in foal to George Washington, whose muddy carcass was winched aboard a horse ambulance after he was put down here on Saturday night.

From a European perspective, that broodmare represents the sole ray of hope from a soul-destroying Breeders' Cup renewal at Monmouth Park. In shocking weather, on a racing surface resembling a sandy beach at low tide, George Washington's right ankle splintered beyond repair just 100 yards from the winning post.

So it was that a horse of immense charisma, and talent to match, met his maker some 4,000 miles from home. Aidan O'Brien, his trainer, took one look at the stricken horse before sanctioning the inevitable. He then collected his distraught wife, Anne-Marie, and their four children before leaving the track in tears.

They departed a scene of bedlam. John Magnier's inscrutable features contorted with anguish as he sought to fortify friends and family against the loss. His wife Susan, who had taken great care in naming the horse, was inconsolable. This was what George Washington meant to the people around him. He was the equine embodiment of Jack-the-lad. And now he was gone.

It was a night of inquests all round. The penultimate one was under way as soon as George Washington became detached from the field halfway through the Classic. What went wrong with a European challenge that failed to win a race for the first time in nine years?

Yet that was instantly superceded by the sight of George Washington thrashing around like a beached whale. The most appalling conditions imaginable begged the safety question; the simple answer is that George was the sole fatality in an event that often verges on the attritional. Twelve months ago, under cloudless skies at Churchill Downs, two fillies were killed in one race. And any sighting of Lester Piggott is accompanied by bone-shuddering recollections of his crashing fall from Mr Brooks on the Florida dirt in 1992.

There was resonance in the words of Dr C Wayne McIlwraith, the on-site veterinarian at Monmouth. In acknowledging concerns over the state of the surface, he added: “It is also possible, since [George Washington] had raced primarily on turf, that ... he might not have been landing [his feet] as smoothly as a horse more experienced over the surface.”

However, to suggest that Magnier and his partners would have indulged any strand of risk over and beyond that associated with racing horses is to overlook what George Washington meant to them. They doted on him. Besides, the common theme with all these fatalities is the unforgiving dirt surface - irrespective of its condition.

American racing is in heated debate over the merits of uprooting traditional dirt tracks in favour of synthetic surfaces, such as Polytrack, on which casualty rates decline. Next year's Breeders' Cup is bound for the synthetic racing surface at Santa Anita, California.

A fatality-free renewal would surely represent the last rites for traditional dirt. The Breeders' Cup, already creaking from international competition, can ill afford another scene that saw Curlin's connections celebrate their triumph while George Washington lay prostrate in the shadows.

Earlier O'Brien had lamented the dismal showing of Dylan Thomas, whose Turf bid subsided on saturated grass as English Channel galloped to victory. And he was entitled to believe that Excellent Art might have won the Mile, rather than finish a close second to Kip Deville, had he not been drawn wide in stall 13. Never will O'Brien have been so pleased to return home.

When there is an exceptional amount of rain as there was at Monmouth over those two days, the racing on an old-style dirt surface dissolves and the horses are racing in effect through liquid mud but on the compacted hard core of the track - like compressed cement chips, as one expert described it yesterday.

Horses which are used to racing on dirt develop a technique for letting themselves down on it, according to some theories - GW wasn't used to it. I doubt his legs and hooves had been conditioned with much roadwork either, as used to happen in the past with racehorses - it's too dangerous these days with the speed and volume of traffic.

In any case, such a surface will find and exacerbate any underlying weakness. The collapse of his cannon bone, sesamoids and fetlock joint probably began with his initial burst of speed when racing up with the pace to get a position - it wouldn't have happened suddenly and all at once when eased down; GW prob started to fall back because he was beginning to feel it all going.

We all know how dangerous it is to have a horse bolt and gallop down a tarmaced road... It's amazing GW was the only casualty in those conditions.

Like Kathy I'm still finding it hard to come to terms with this particular loss.

This is probably the best photo I have of Gorgeous George. I am trying to post one up of Headstongs which will hopefully follow shortly.

PHOENIXREACHATANDREWBALDINGSBEFOREH.jpg

Thanks Kathy. Sorry I folks I kept lightening it so you could see his expression better, but the edit wouldn't save :what:
Photo taken at Goodwood, coming into the pre-parade ring

Didn't he have just the most elegant head? His eyes were very high set, which gives him look that horses in stylised drawings have - the equine equivalent of an elongated fashion model! But always alert, always fascinated by his surroundings, and engaging with his audience.

Looking at the 2 photos, I feel sorry for the lad.

He looks to have aged 10 years from the 1st picture to the 2nd one.

The powers of sunlight

Fantastic pictures ladies.. really captures him well!

Back to what you were saying about the Sports Illustrated picture Chris, there seems to be a different standard or norm when it comes to such things as injuries

Remember watching the American coverage (NBC Sports) of Barbaro's injury on Youtube and they replayed it a load of times.. in fact, at one point it was like they were playing the video on a loop.. :(

Originally posted by trackside528@Oct 30 2007, 10:26 PM
Back to what you were saying about the Sports Illustrated picture Chris, there seems to be a different standard or norm when it comes to such things as injuries

By far the worst feature was the Go For Wand write up they did, stomach churning :(

Alternative scenario...

Colt (that owed them nothing) gets six mares in foal but has obvious fertility problems that may be improved with maturity. Owners decide to call an early halt to his 2007 breeding season, give him the rest of the year off to mature / let down with regular, managed exercise in a stud environment.

2008: Colt hopefully gets second chance to suceed at stud and onwrs reap a just reward.

George Washington was only 4. He was clearly still possessed of some talent, or Coolmore would not have risked damaging his stud career by putting him back in training anyway. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with returning a talented 4yo colt back to training, not least when it was evident from very early on that he was not fertile enough to cover for the season. In fact many people were pleased to see him back on the track, myself included.

I also struggle to see how Coolmore can be blamed for George's demise in what was nothing more than a tragic accident that no-one could have foreseen, despite what some are saying now with the blessing of hindsight.

...and I don't think that anyone could have foreseen the accident that happened. In fact if he already had an underlying problem there it could have gone anywhere, anytime - out in the field at the stud, for example.

Very good Bar!!! :clap:

Precisely, Gareth. No-one can tell what accident may befall a horse, be it on the racetrack, on the gallops, in the field, hell, even in its stable! I know of a horse who died in its box after sustaining injuries getting caught up in a haynet, of all things. Hindsight is a wonderful thing that unfortunately too few of us are blessed with.

I suppose we all see it from perhaps what we may have done if we had been the owner and/or trainer. I would like to think I would have refused to have raced GW due to the awful conditions but I will never be in that position to know what I would have done.

I wonder with all the drugs they may have had to fill him GW with for his temperament issues whether these could have possibly weakened his bones. I also wonder if they had to give him medication to relax him enough to cover mares. The same drugs that may have affected his fertility. shrug:: As SL says there may have already been an underlying problem with his legs that no one knew about.

We will never know exactly why it happened apart from it appears to have been a dreadful accident but the reality is George is no longer with us. That is not an outcome anyone would have predicted for him.

Thought this might be of interest to all George's fans

Lot 1794 Tattersalls December Mare Sale

The mare has been covered by GW although on closer inspection also covered by HRE so I'm guessing the more likely sire would then be HRE?

Probably not as exciting as it first appeared :( when I was searching for covering sires but I thought I'd post anyway on case it was of interest to anyone :)

Back