Getting older

Age is definitely just a number. I'm coming up 64 and feel as good as I've been for years. Coached youth football for ten years and finished up last summer. Started the walking football then proper fives sides. Given up on the walking football as fit enough to compete at fives with guys much younger than Me.
I've been lucky in only have one wee operation on my foot so not got the issues many have at my age and appreciate my freedom of movement seeing how many others don't have it. Like many I dont feel my age and don't really think about it,more about keeping my energy levels going.
I've got athritis in my hands from sporting injuries but turmeric and pepper tablets have eased that enormously. My dog is nearly 14 and has his health issues so I appreciate how lucky I am.
Keeping a positive outlook is key for me and I've no time for constantly negative folk. Life is what you make it though of course I'm aware some folk get a raw deal in life.

Last edited:
The big age 40 awaits for me next year. And I'm feeling good. I struggle with office politics at my day job working for local radio, but I'm coping with it.

No major issues physically. I was well over 7 cholestral level two years ago though. The nurse at my local GP refused to prescribe me statins, which I got challenged, and overturned when I saw a consultant. Since taking the statins I'm down to 4.1. So internally the fat in my blood is way down. I'm playing football once a week and love it. I never lost the touch I tell ya.

My dream job has come up and I've been working on my CV and Cover Letter tonight. 30k a year doing what I love. I'd feel like I'd died and gone to heaven if I could get this.
Playing sport or stuff like scouts etc so vital imho as gets you motivated and keeps the dreaded arse parking at bay. Your right about your touch never leaving you btw. Amazing how it comes back really quickly once you start playing again.👍

I could run up those stairs 2 at a time without being out of breath 4 years ago when I was 72 years old. Then I caught Tuberculosis which took 11 months to cure BUT it scarred my lungs so badly I now suffer from COPD. If I walk to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee I am out of breath and dog tired.

There's no cure for COPD but the Doc said I could live for 15 years but the quality of life would be poor.

I really hope he's wrong as my life is basically fucked and while I am not suicidal if I woke up dead to morrow I would be thankful.

The only thig I am hoping for is Constitution Hill becomes the GOAT before I go.

Know how you feel Tanlic. I went on the Great Greyhound Walk on Sunday. I’d been on it the previous year and it made me very aware how much my dodgy knee has deteriorated. Walked at the back of the group using a walking stick. Then the group posted a video on Facebook and I saw myself hobbling lamely along. We used to do fund raising walks when I worked for the NHS and no one could keep up with me. I have the option of a TKR but the rehabilitation can take months, it’s very painful post op and sometimes it doesn’t work. At least we live in a time where we have the internet, TV’s, videos, podcasts so we can travel the world from our armchairs. But it isn’t the same as going out the front door and walking for miles is it. Sorry to hear that the TB has left you in such a bad way.

I meet a group of 40 year + friends to play golf on the first Friday of September each year. This 'growing older' topic now comes up regularly.
This time around somebody remarked that when we first worked together the conversation was always about drink, clubs, parties sports and recent 'rumpy-pumpy' whereas usually now its all about ailments, pension funds and funerals attended!

I think the key is to try keep looking forward - give yourself new experiences if you can, big or small. I know I'm very lucky - 65 next birthday, no meds*, physically active and obviously to those who have been fortunate enough to meet me, extremely good looking.

But recently Mrs AC and I threw a loud hand grenade into 20 years of financial conservatism and insanely careful rainy day planning, cashed in a pension and bought a gaff in our happy town in Spain. We got the keys last week and I write this in 27 degrees, beach to my right, Sierra Nevada straight ahead. Mrs AC carries some health burdens but already feels stronger in the warmth.

[As somebody wise once said - fly first class, because if you don't your kids certainly will.]

Didn't sleep for months worrying 'wtf did we just do' but calmness is again dropping slow and hopefully it all works out for the better.

*Not complacent - full medical MOT annually.

I meet a group of 40 year + friends to play golf on the first Friday of September each year. This 'growing older' topic now comes up regularly.
This time around somebody remarked that when we first worked together the conversation was always about drink, clubs, parties sports and recent 'rumpy-pumpy' whereas usually now its all about ailments, pension funds and funerals attended!

I think the key is to try keep looking forward - give yourself new experiences if you can, big or small. I know I'm very lucky - 65 next birthday, no meds*, physically active and obviously to those who have been fortunate enough to meet me, extremely good looking.

But recently Mrs AC and I threw a loud hand grenade into 20 years of financial conservatism and insanely careful rainy day planning, cashed in a pension and bought a gaff in our happy town in Spain. We got the keys last week and I write this in 27 degrees, beach to my right, Sierra Nevada straight ahead. Mrs AC carries some health burdens but already feels stronger in the warmth.

[As somebody wise once said - fly first class, because if you don't your kids certainly will.]

Didn't sleep for months worrying 'wtf did we just do' but calmness is again dropping slow and hopefully it all works out for the better.

Lovely story - well done, mate.

Brilliant to hear, AC.

Mrs O and I have all but given up on the idea of a place on the Costa Del Sol with prices having shot up there (here, actually, since we're here right now) but not completely on the idea of having a place in the sun.

Orchidette gets married next summer so we're focusing on that but once the wedding is out of the way we'll be checking out the Costa Blanca again as prices are a bit better there.

It's been a dream of mine since I started working to retire to Spain but Mrs O felt she couldn't commit while her mother's health was going downhill.

Plus !"£$%^& Brexit happened so we had to see about getting our Irish citizenship (which we have). We have a lawyer in Spain and a bank account so most of the donkey work is done.

Also enjoying the 27C :cool::cool: and it's to be hotter tomorrow :cool::cool::cool:

If only Brexit hadn’t necessitated the need for Irish citizenship. And so many of the MP’s pushing for it had dual nationality…

Top notch perspective as per usual AC.

I could run up those stairs 2 at a time without being out of breath 4 years ago when I was 72 years old. Then I caught Tuberculosis which took 11 months to cure BUT it scarred my lungs so badly I now suffer from COPD. If I walk to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee I am out of breath and dog tired.

There's no cure for COPD but the Doc said I could live for 15 years but the quality of life would be poor.

I really hope he's wrong as my life is basically fucked and while I am not suicidal if I woke up dead to morrow I would be thankful.

The only thig I am hoping for is Constitution Hill becomes the GOAT before I go.
Tiredness is still a killer for me but keep on trying -chin up and look to the future.

Hi all,

Saw this and thought I'd chime in as well since we are discussing ageing and health - so consider this a public service announcement for us guys over 50 (not many females here :eek2:).

I'm turning 66 in a few weeks, and have always been adamant about having annual physicals - long story short, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in August. They caught it early, and I have been consulted with two surgeons who are pretty confident that I will recover in due time since I am still in decent shape and relatively young. But yeah, for me it's another life experience that I have been dealt - and I have no choice but to accept it and get through it as best I can.

I hope everyone here is getting annual checkups. I have absolutely no symptoms that I can tell - I actually feel pretty good, so it's definitely a silent killer. Please get checked every year - if not for you, but at least for your kids or grandkids.

I have not discussed this at all except with my family and close circle of friends. But it's time that I bring this up so that you guys are aware that you should be getting your PSA checked at least once a year. I had no idea that there was something amiss.

And if any females are reading this, please have your guy get checked out as well. :thumbsup:

I think it's quite unusual to have prostate cancer surgery,it's usually so slow growing you out live it,when they do autopsies they find that 21% of men died with it not from it..and in men who have died over the age of 90 50% autopsied died with it not from it..Did you find out just from your PSA or did the doctor know from the DRE..

I think it's quite unusual to have prostate cancer surgery,it's usually so slow growing you out live it,when they do autopsies they find that 21% of men died with it not from it..and in men who have died over the age of 90 50% autopsied died with it not from it..Did you find out just from your PSA or did the doctor know from the DRE..
I've already consulted enough folks to get the info that's right for me and my situation. I'm good. :thumbsup:

One thing very few folk seem to focus on is sleep. It is vital to keep regenerating your body and I find I'm feel so much better getting regular good sleeps. Easier said than done of course. If you can find a method that works the go for it. My energy levels go through the roof when I'm sleeping well and conversely down when ive missed my sleep.

One thing very few folk seem to focus on is sleep. It is vital to keep regenerating your body and I find I'm feel so much better getting regular good sleeps. Easier said than done of course. If you can find a method that works the go for it. My energy levels go through the roof when I'm sleeping well and conversely down when ive missed my sleep.
You're spot on. Early to bed and early to rise is my motto. LOL :thumbsup:

Back