Gladness Stakes

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 13 2008, 02:38 PM
What is most noticeable is how keen Murtagh is to avoid using the whip.
agree 100%. I'd be livid if i had backed the fav in the maiden

Originally posted by Sea Pigeon+Apr 13 2008, 03:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sea Pigeon @ Apr 13 2008, 03:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Apr 13 2008, 02:38 PM
What is most noticeable is how keen Murtagh is to avoid using the whip.
agree 100%. I'd be livid if i had backed the fav in the maiden [/b][/quote]
That was a Peeping Fawn like introduction...

US Ranger is getting shorter and shorter. Odds on virtually everywhere now.

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 13 2008, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't touch him with stolen Gal going by what i've seen so far today

Originally posted by Charlie D+Apr 13 2008, 04:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Charlie D @ Apr 13 2008, 04:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Apr 13 2008, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't touch him with stolen Gal going by what i've seen so far today [/b][/quote]
Completely agree...his price is crazy. It will be interesting to see how he sees out todays testing trip as a trip to Newbury is probably on the cards next.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Apr 13 2008, 02:13 PM
The O'Brien horses haven't been blatantly in need of a run so far this year like they have been in the last couple of years.
Will they be getting a run into Jupiter Pluvious before the 2000?

Phew....that got me out of trouble after Macarthur!!!

Winner did it well, and handled the conditions fine.

US Ranger looked pretty tubby at the start and ran a really nice race staying on nicely to the line. Newbury next I would have thought.

Very taken by QOTNight. She obviously is very well regarded and has a lot of entries in G1´s.
Coolmore connections need some alternative to Listen for the Oaks now and I wonder if this horse could be the one. Also interesting to see if they bring Gagnoa over from France. She couldn´t be better bred for the race.

I've just watched the races again and I can't see Murtagh reach for the whip once, in any of his rides for the Ballydoyle team. Not once. Very frustrating for anyone that backed any of their runners. Not that that will bother them in the slightest

The big guys use the race course for training as a matter of process without any fear of being pulled up for it.

That's true; and there's also an accepted sense that certain trainers - usually those with big strings - do have them ready fto, and others don't. There's a distinction though for me between fto for the season and fto ever.

Personally I'm all for giving young horses a good experience on their first visit to the course - it's an often quite stressful experience for them already, without being whipped to win a race, which can put them off for good. The only reason for giving them a hard time is the gambling - and those who back in maiden races with a lot of fto horses should imo understand that Maiden races with many previously unraced horses are very risky betting propositions, not least as there's no way of knowing how ready the animal is, esp on TV.

Seeing horses from a huge string like Ballydoyle where there is no difficulty getting them more or less race fit fto for the season being tenderly handled is another matter, esp as punters tend to back them blind. The Stewards should deal with it; but no doubt the usual social and professional networks make this difficult :rolleyes:

When you see the way the likes of Peeping Fawn progressed after being brought along gently, it's fairly easy to see the benefits of a gentle introduction I would have thought.

For me, it's part and parcel of figuring out the 'riddle' (ie knowing which trainers tend to have their horses ready, taking the market into account etc.) to be honest.

On Mel's point, I wouldn't mind seeing the introduction of maidens restricted to unraced horses. Seems to be working fairly well in France.

Well done to all those who backed Jumbajukiba btw; I obviously did not.. :shy:

Nobody wants to see 2yr olds on their first or second race course appearance being given a hard time . What I think is unacceptable are trainers turning up with their 3yr olds for their first run of the season as fat as fools. Having seen the condition of AO'B's first runners at the Curragh a couple of weeks ago I decided to wait a month before considering any of them in a race. A bunch of fatso's and he's not the only one leaving ' a bit to work on'

It goes to highlight how important pictures of the horses in the parade and before the go into the stalls are. When I saw US Ranger just before he was loaded up I couldnt believe the money for him.

Horses like Greatwallofchina were well beaten first time out but I see he is entered up again over the weekend. It will be interesting to see the progress (if any) he displays.

But as in previous years, the Guineas and the Group 1 horses will be ready first time out.

Duke Of Marmalade and Eagle Mountain probably were not primed last season but they unusual circumstances (George and Holy Roman Emperor).

Some good posts in this thread.
Yes maybe there should be some 'hands and heels' Maidens for debutants only.
Would they be supported do people think? The bookies would hate them of course...

Happy to see money coming for Gagnoa for the Oaks. It seems I might have spent my money wisely for once, although I don´t think she will run at Epsom if they decide to run the Saint-Alary first, just less than 3 weeks before.

the french fillies could be quite good this year therefore it could make sense for
gagnoa to come to Epsom with listen/sense of joy out of the equation it could be the weaker of the 2 oaks

Even more so with Sense Of Joy having suffered a soft tissue injury - I hope it's not serious as I've backed her :rolleyes:

Back