Go Jump Racing

I would suggest though that someone extracts and orders a list of questions from the thread rather than expecting you and your colleagues to wade through it. That way we can indulge in our usual nonsense without wasting your time.

Dear Grey (and all)

Having returned to the forum this morning I very much agree with the above quote. I think already there have been some excellent and pertinent questions, but it would be really fantastic if someone could compile these into a manageable list.

Lets say at Friday at 5pm if someone can leave a post with a top 10 questions that they would like the BHA to answer? I can then disseminate these to the relevant people without, hopefully, overburdening any one individual. From discussing this internally people do seem more than happy to participate, which is positive.

Or we can make a call on the volume, maybe it doesnt have to be limited to 10 if that means leaving out some good questions, its just about getting the balance.

Already some very interesting questions asked by Grey (5:04pm), Gareth Flynn (12:25am) and Colin Phillips (8:08am)

Cheers!

Rob

Don't know whether this should be a new thread but ...

Why do Cheltenham charge the same amount for their Junior and Senior memberships but, in the case of the Senior Members, admission to the Festival is excluded?

Is this legal?
Probably is - I've bought season tickets to my local rugby team in a similar way with "senior" memberships available to those over a certain age (60 I think it is) the same price as for children (Under 16's) where as the children's tickets include free away games and the pensioners don't.

Also hope that in future the BHA let all children in to race meetings free of charge. When I was younger (10 or so years ago) Haydock had a "accompanied Under 16's free" - thus meaning if I wanted to go racing and my parents didn't I had to find someone to go in with as at the time they were charging me £13 to get in as an "unaccompanied Under 16".

I doubt the BHA would be in much of a position to get courses to do anything in the post-OFT era.

... When I was younger (10 or so years ago) Haydock had a "accompanied Under 16's free" - thus meaning if I wanted to go racing and my parents didn't I had to find someone to go in with as at the time they were charging me £13 to get in as an "unaccompanied Under 16"...

When I was a lot younger, under 16s were free at Cheltenham even at the Festival. Yours truly used to bunk off and attach herself to a group going in. Worked best with the Irish because of the hair - and everyone would think I was someone else's grand/daughter. Took me a year to work that one out, for a couple of years before that I used to scoot down the railway line and wriggle in under the fence. Happy days!

it would be really fantastic if someone could compile these into a manageable list.

Lets say at Friday at 5pm if someone can leave a post with a top 10 questions that they would like the BHA to answer?

Or we can make a call on the volume, maybe it doesnt have to be limited to 10 if that means leaving out some good questions, its just about getting the balance.

Already some very interesting questions asked by Grey (5:04pm), Gareth Flynn (12:25am) and Colin Phillips (8:08am)

Cheers!

Rob

I'll try and pull a thread together at about 4.00 pm accordingly.

Is the BHA satisfied with the dominant position Cheltenham holds in the jumping calendar?

Personally I find it a little galling to see trainers, after winning (or losing) top class races in January and February, smiling from ear to ear more in the knowlege that they still have plenty left to work on to improve for Cheltenham, than actually winning the race. With one or two notable exceptions, in terms of races and trainers, top class racing tends to get reduced to a series of trials pre cheltenham and consolation prizes (or Brucey Bonuses) post Cheltenham. Admittedly this has a s much to do with my own perception, widely held among the racing media, as it does to the trainers' methods, but it is undoubtedly a factor.

The Flat racing guru's tend to get races that are important in their own right in some sphere or other on a near weekly basis, whereas us jump fans end up with a beanfeast in March before which we're dribbling wrecks from anticipation and after which totally depressed at the prospect of another 12 month wait before it happens again.

before which we're dribbling wrecks from anticipation and after which totally depressed at the prospect of another 12 month wait before it happens again.

I like dribbling with anticipation :D and rather than looking to dilute Cheltenham's position, I would be more inclined to look towards a similar "festival" towards the end of the flat season.

It is also undoubtedly a good thing in terms of heightening the awareness of the general (non-racing) public of the existence of a sport that isn't football.

This idea is a complete fallacy.

How many eyes did Imperial Commander's connections have on the Festival, during the Open meeting?

How many did Pipe or Charlie Mann have on the Festival, when their horses were running huge races in the Hennessy?

Will Nicholls and Johnson be giving any thought to Cheltenham, when their charges line-up in the Tingle Creek?

Will trainers be using the King George Chase merely to get fitness on a horse for a race three months later?

The racing media are, for the large part, idiotic hacks, and should be exposed as such whenever they perpatrate the wholly untrue myth that top-class races in their own right, are mere sideshows to the Festival.

The Tingle Creek and the King George would be two of a handful of the aforementioned "notable exceptions" (although the winners won't make it back to the enclosure before a detailed analysis of how useful the performance was, as a guide to Cheltenham, is well underway). Handicaps don't count in relation to this. It's not a myth, so boo and go think of your own question .

I am not sure how much of an exception the Tingle Creek and King George are....straight away the result of the races will be seen in the context of what is to come at Cheltenham.

:D

Frankly, I don't see any problem whatsoever with performances being reviewed in the context of the Festival.

It's the suggestion that they don't matter, or that horses are not trying in these races, that I take issue with.

Fantastic- thanks for offering to compile the questions. I will be interested to hear the response for the Cheltenham one myself.

Will check back at 4 before i leave tonight and acknowledge the official list of questions.

Regards

Robin

Back