Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

I'd usually agree with Granger, but if Exotic Dancer stays away, he would be a strong favourite in my eyes.

In the heat of battle, adrenaline often allows horses to run through the pain barrier and it's only after the event the full extent of an injury is realised.

Rhyme N Reason won the Grand National with a broken leg.

Not necessarily ? LLT injured a tendon in the 2000 Down royal race although he won it pulling a cart .

Ahh but it works both ways, Trouble hobbled over the line well down the field in Best Mates 1st Gold Cup when his other tendon went, (and also at Ascot but he should never have run that day :ninja:).

In the same way that all tendon injurys are different, there is every possiblity that Neptunes was feeling something during the race.

I hope Denman's connections decide to go to Punchestown. I can't see the track troubling him that much, and quicker ground won't bother him.

He'd take all the beating.

Ahh but it works both ways, Trouble hobbled over the line well down the field in Best Mates 1st Gold Cup when his other tendon went, (and also at Ascot but he should never have run that day :ninja:).

In the same way that all tendon injurys are different, there is every possiblity that Neptunes was feeling something during the race.

Very true - I am sure it is more likely that not he injured it in the GC but it is not certain. Possibly it happened when he was already beaten - he was a well beaten fourth at the last but still tied up quite a lot on the run in .

Katharine - it seems KS may go to Punchestown now

I wish they'd make up their bliddy mind.

One minute they're saying Kauto is now at his best with plenty of time between races, the next they want to drag him out again just a few weeks after the performance of his life.

Unadulterated greed.

I suppose it's not surprising in light of Neptune's injury.

Kauto should be really suited to Punchestown.

It's probably a good bet that either he or Denman will turn up for the race now.

I wouldn't see it as greed myself. Reports are that the horse has come out of the Gold Cup extremely well. Why not let the horse take his chance if he's come out of the Gold Cup so well. With what has happened to Neptune it just goes to show how quickly plans can change. The horse is fit and well, has done what has been asked of him this year, why not let him take his chance. If i was an owner in that position i'd be thinking Why not.

Unadulterated greed.

And yet it wasn't to long ago that Clive Smith was being applauded in these pages for the sporting way in which he was campaigning his superstar. Specifically for taking in the Betfair race, Tingle Creek and King George, in quick succession (and winign all of them). Indeed, he drew many plaudits for his apparent bravery in allowing his horse to see a track, which contrasted with Ms Knight's reticence to let Best Mate anywhere near one, as I recall.

A year or so later, and its deemed greedy

I think there's a big difference between running him at Punchestown this year and running him at Aintree last - not only is there an extra two weeks between the races, but last year he was out on his feet after the Gold Cup - he finished the race like he could go round again this year.

Hopefully he'll turn up in top form - I wonder if Mullins will be tempted to pitch Cooldine in? Doubt it.

It's always a hard decision when to put a horse away for the season. Those two are so fit, and reports seem to say KS is really well as is Denman. I also think Denman is a Spring horse. Remember last year when he 'escaped' while parading at Sandown.

It would be a waste after all the effort it takes to get them fit to put them away early.

Paul said today that no definite plans have been made yet and I would expect their plans to remain fluid according to how the two horses continue to perform. Would be nice for Denman to get a win this season.

People thought Denman hacked up in the Gold Cup last year yet we now know the horse took a lot out of himself.

Master Minded apparently hacked up in the Champion Chase last year and was reportedly bouncing the next day. Come Aintree he was gubbed.

As for connections being applauded last year, that was before tehy concluded the horse needed time. So does he need time or doesn't he?

As for connections being applauded last year, that was before tehy concluded the horse needed time. So does he need time or doesn't he?

Pretty easy I'd have said with a cynical head on

He took in 3, and won 3 grade 1 chases in the space about 6 weeks = He doesn't need time.

He took in 3, and lost 2 grade 1 chases in the space of about 6 weeks = He needs time

Make you own mind up, but it's difficult to conclude that the story doesn't follow the reuslt

He has until next November to rest up. He has just put in the best performance of his career, he supposedly came out of it perfectly. Let his Irish fans see him. I hope he comes to Punchestown

Back