Gold Cup 2023

The thing about Galopin Des Champs is he's as fast as most 2 milers yet over 3 miles he seemed to relish the trip as a novice.

If he stays the trip at Cheltenham I doubt if anything will live with him.

The bookies are obviously thinking the same way and I certainly wouldn't lay him at any price, north of 6/4, even at this stage,

You bet 6/4 that he goes there, stays, and wins.

I'd be more worried that he goes elsewhere, here's what Willie said in the lead-up to Cheltenham last season...

Galopin Des Champs..

"He was so good the first day and was very brave the last day.

"He could go in either race and I want to chat with Paul, but I'd be happy enough I think to go in the Turners over two and a half. I think he has the ability to do that, he jumps well and he's sharp.

"I don't think he needs to go back up to an extended three miles.

"I try to pick the right race for our horses rather than worrying about the opposition. I think that's the right way to do it.

"There's no decision yet, but at the moment I'd be favouring the shorter race."

Pulled out of the King George over an easy 3 mile, to run over 2m 4f because, he tries to pick the right races for his horses rather than worrying about the opposition!

I think Stattler will be Willies GC horse. Pulled out of the John Durkin in favour of The Savills over an extended 3 miles...

Last edited:
Pulled out of the King George over an easy 3 mile, to run over 2m 4f because, he tries to pick the right races for his horses rather than worrying about the opposition!

I think Stattler will be Willies GC horse. Pulled out of the John Durkin in favour of The Savills over an extended 3 miles...

I prefer the quote about Galopin from the October stable tour:
"[FONT=&quot]I hope he’s our Gold Cup horse for the season. He looks the part and is doing everything right at home. He’s a big horse, though he doesn’t look it. That’s what I like about him. He’s tall, but he doesn’t look it as he is so well proportioned and light on his feet. He had a little setback a couple of weeks ago, but is back in good order now. I’d like to start him off in the John Durkan, but it is coming a bit close to Christmas this season. Tramore could be an option for him on New Year's Day."

[/FONT]Willie makes entries all over the place and it's clear that the Durkan was always Plan A. All being well, he'll probably go in the Irish Gold Cup and then the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Stattler could yet go to either Leopardstown or Tramore but there's no reason why his going for the Gold Cup would rule out Galopin.

Looked like he could have gone round again, and jumped better the faster they went. Very solid performance.

They will be thrilled

He jumped and travelled well within himself for a circuit and a half and then showed his class

Where he goes next is most interesting

Kempton would be perfect but not this year

DRF maybe

Willie post race:
“I’ve no plan at the moment where he will run next but he will have another run before Cheltenham. He is a Gold Cup horse and is going for the Gold Cup bar something goes wrong.”

Willie post race:
“I’ve no plan at the moment where he will run next but he will have another run before Cheltenham. He is a Gold Cup horse and is going for the Gold Cup bar something goes wrong.”

They have to step up in trip next time

Gold Cup entries (27)
A Plus Tard
Ahoy Senor
Angels Breath
Any Second Now
Bravemansgame
Capodanno
Conflated
Coole Cody
Eldorado Allen
Envoi Allen
Franco De Port
Frodon
Fury Road
Ga Law
Galopin Des Champs
Galvin
Hewick
L'Homme Presse
Minella Indo
Noble Yeats
Protektorat
Royale Pagaille
Shishkin
Sounds Russian
Stattler
The Big Breakaway
The Real Whacker

Angels Breath an interesting entry from Henderson - last seen as a novice in December 2019.

Galopin des Champs is much too short at present . If he wins the Irish Gold Cup easily then 6-4 might be justifiable.

Myself and Yorick were satisfied with STATTLER on sunday.
I went in again at 16s and was going to stick it in the a/p comp but too late as it's now 10/1 best price.

Obviously just in case HEWICK doesnt run.

Conflated likely to swerve DRF and head straight to Cheltenham. Going by Eddie O'Leary's comments today, the Ryanair is not under consideration as a Festival target.

Back