Gold Cup 2023

I had a little on ante-post but Stattler is my main bet for the race so it's not that. I just really wanted to see her win a Gold Cup.

This is obviously with large dollops of hindsight but I think he's every bit the stayer Bob's Worth and Denman were it's just they didn't realise what they had imo, that's why he was running rh against 2m handicappers like Gunsight Ridge. He wouldn't have been the first Gold Cup contender who'd have been much better off at Chepstow than Kempton at Christmas time.

Not convinced. Denman and Bob would both have been TO’d on the first circuit in a Henry VIII Chase. Horses that have the speed to win at G1 level over 2m4f and 3m1f as novices, are almost always going to end-up at Kempton. It’s just the way it is, and I’ve no issue with it, tbh.

Galopin des Champs is much too short at present . If he wins the Irish Gold Cup easily then 6-4 might be justifiable.

Bookies are terrified of Willie Mullins and Gaolopin Des Champs gives the impression he could be the best horse he has ever trained.

The home team can be summed up in one word "SAD"

Noble Yeats ruled-out of Sunday’s Fleur De Lys Chase at Lingfield, due to a non-compliant vaccination certificate. Failed to have it uploaded to Weatherby’s in time, it seems.

Will presumably go for the Cotswold Chase now.

Last edited:
The Blue Ribband of the Cheltenham Festival, five weeks out, has dropped off the first page of this forum so great is the baffling obsession with the Champion Hurdle.
s
m
h

I reckon Galopin Des Champs has to be taken on at the odds. With what is uncertain, but I'm thinking Bravemansgame at this stage.

I think that's right. Chances of staying certainly enhanced on Saturday but the price is tight. I'm on Stattler from way back and have added Protektorat who imo is just too big at 16s.

He has lbs to make up on APT for one (can he be considered a forgotton horse)

On BMG, the way they rode him at Kempton and a possibility that he may not have the full resevoir of braveness needed for a Gold cup put me off him

That being said, I'd be happy to see PFN win another gold cup

State Man wins the Gold Cup 2025

I don't see the braveness element of the horse, particularly after the King George where he's really knuckled down. I had a question about it beforehand, but he put that to bed for me on the day.

The riding element is really interesting though, as I'd agree that they can't ride him 4 wide around the entirety of the Gold Cup trip. Maybe they'll try and sit off Ahoy (I'm struggling to find the pace angle from anywhere else) but if I'm the connections of anyone else in the race, I'd be doing my damnest to try and box him in given Harry's view that he sulks in those situations.

It's a fascinating race on paper.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I don't see the braveness element of the horse, particularly after the King George where he's really knuckled down. I had a question about it beforehand, but he put that to bed for me on the day.

The riding element is really interesting though, as I'd agree that they can't ride him 4 wide around the entirety of the Gold Cup trip. Maybe they'll try and sit off Ahoy (I'm struggling to find the pace angle from anywhere else) but if I'm the connections of anyone else in the race, I'd be doing my damnest to try and box him in given Harry's view that he sulks in those situations.

It's a fascinating race on paper.

I think your points can intermingle

was he raced 4 wide to keep him away from traffic and being surrounded by other horses

I also can't really forgive PFN (a brave campaigners of horses) for pulling him last March

It lingers

But yes, a very interesting race where you could readily make a case for 5 horses strongly

I think your points can intermingle

was he raced 4 wide to keep him away from traffic and being surrounded by other horses

I also can't really forgive PFN (a brave campaigners of horses) for pulling him last March

It lingers

But yes, a very interesting race where you could readily make a case for 5 horses strongly

Sorry, I construed it to mean more of his mettle when buckling down when it heats up, but yes I'd agree they can intermingle.

Equally disappointed about him being pulled last March - particularly when he's now saying he'll go on anything!

Ruby reckons APT is theonly possible danger to GDC and he finds the fact Noble Teats is so low in the betting somewhat amusing.

The only horse I can see causing an upset because I think the horse is a total looney is Ahoy Senor who embarrassed the **** out of me by winning the Cotswald Chase when I said he had absolutely no chance

I have APT at 10/1 but it would be some feat to win a GC with only a PU at Haydock for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have APT at 10/1 but it would be some feat to win a GC with only a PU at Haydock for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be worried about the lack of a run

He was brilliant FTO at Haydock last season, if this dry weather continues i think he's a good thing

Henry needs to sort out whatever is ailing his when travelling over before I'd have any confidence. They've all run deplorably.

Back