Goodwood Day 1

Anyone else think Monsieur Chevalier is pretty short today? By my reckoning he'll have to run about 2 secs quicker than he ever has before and I'm not sure that sort of emphasis on speed will be in his favour.

Yes. I'm considering laying him. He's had a lot of races, I think his style of running is not ideal for Goodwood, and at this time of the year you would expect 1 or 2 to progress past him.

Desert Orchid,

What do those symbols mean on the last column from the Word file you sent? can you give a key for this.

Desert Orchid,

What do those symbols mean on the last column from the Word file you sent? can you give a key for this.

They generally correspond to 'accepted' legend:

+ = (probably) better
++ = (probably) much better
p = improving
? = rating open to question
d = disappointing / on downgrade
e = early (possibly last year or earlier) form
o = based on official ratings

Bizarre gamble on Dunlop's horse. Everytime I've been to Goodwood I either hear a whisper for one of his, or see one being heavily backed.

Gamla Stan;328873Masterofthehorse is arguably overpriced if you think he won't have regressed in the week or so he's been with Debbie Mountain. [/QUOTE said:
Urm....... there's regression and there's regression (and didn't she cut a dignified figure too)

Harbinger did it very well, though not sure he'd be sure to go for the Leger. I'd keep him to 1m4.

Very impressed with the run of Urban Poet; certainly one to keep on the right side of.

Harbinger did it very well, though not sure he'd be sure to go for the Leger. I'd keep him to 1m4.

Agree with all of what you say, he looks very classy and pacey and might not need to go the Leger route. Looks a super 4 year old prospect.

Class the right word - seems to do it very easily. Any chance he'd go for the something like the Arc, presuming he won the Voitegeur?

Class the right word - seems to do it very easily. Any chance he'd go for the something like the Arc, presuming he won the Voitegeur?

He could be a Champion Stakes horse at the end of the season...Stoute has enough shots in the Arc and 10 furlongs on an easy surface would not bother Harbinger at all I would not think.

Probably the best option for him (again, assuming he continues to progress) this year all right. Quite a striking animal.

Jesus christ that horse is just amazing, Canford Cliffs eat your heart out! - Richard Hughes was about to get the biggest bollocking from Hannon apparently lol he looked out of it 3f out.

Nunthorpe anyone?

Jesus christ that horse is just amazing, Canford Cliffs eat your heart out! - Richard Hughes was about to get the biggest bollocking from Hannon apparently lol he looked out of it 3f out.

Nunthorpe anyone?

A really lovely attitude....how effect over six furlongs? Would open up the Gimcrack and Middle Park for him.

Presumably the Group 1's will also be on Canford Cliff's agenda. Would imagine they'll try to keep them apart. He did well there, and it was a great ride from Hughes.

Presumably the Group 1's will also be on Canford Cliff's agenda. Would imagine they'll try to keep them apart. He did well there, and it was a great ride from Hughes.

Agreed, it was a great ride but it is such a fine line between great ride and a disaster if the breaks do not come.

Personally I think he will get six furlongs but not be as effective over it against some of the better juveniles. The Nunthorpe would be a really interesting target.

Great ride by Hughes, who seems to be riding more assuredly and confident than ever. Nice jockey to watch.

Back