Goodwood

The Warrior in the last - Did win a valuable maiden on heavy ground when in Ireland with O Brien.

Clearly talented, 12-1 is too big.

Euro - have you backed The Warrior in the last?

Hes got form on a bit of dig so he might not be a forlorn hope.

No Dan, that horse went off my tracker a while ago. You're correct about his heavy ground form though, tempting.

People's thoughts on Buicks ride there? An absolute shocker for me, what's he doing with 2 furlongs left? Gave away the rail then left himself and the horse far too much to do.

People's thoughts on Buicks ride there? An absolute shocker for me, what's he doing with 2 furlongs left? Gave away the rail then left himself and the horse far too much to do.

Certainly up there with the worst rides of all time. Just take the rail and keep riding, not exactly rocket science.

Not a word from the 'experts' on Racing UK or ITV about it though.

Rumpole looks at the right end of the handicap & well weighted in the opener on Thursday for Hughie Morrison. He gets my vote.

The Warrior disappointing, drifted to 20's, looked to be cruising, but finished nowhere.

Last edited:
I am scratching my head here.....why on earth is Winter odds against?

I know we are getting funny results because of the ground and it is flat racing BUT she IMVHO love the ground and win doing handstands.........I for one wont miss her at this price

She does like soft ground but over this trip - has to be a question mark - especially if Sobetsu goes a decent pace. I can't say I'm that confident about Queen's Trust now but see her still as the main danger. The Gosden filly has the handicap of Dettori and being first time out.

Last year when Goodwood came about I was on an extended winning run. I went on holiday for over a fortnight and had only one bet (posted on here in advance before I left) Franklin D ante-post at something like 8/1.

When I saw the results on my return I was extremely frustrated as I felt my winning run would have continued throughout the week.

I don't know if it had a deep psychological impact on me or whether my luck simply ran out but after that I went on what I've described as the longest decline in fortunes of my betting 'career'. All along I blamed missing Goodwood for it.

Maybe that's clinging to psychological straws.

Maybe it's uncharacteristic [for me] superstition.

People who know me well enough know my ill-fortune came to an abrupt end at Ascot. Things haven't been great since but I've been finding winners.

I feel I might be undergoing another psychological overturn seeing the Goodwood results and races this week. I've been watching the replays on my laptop and am thanking my lucky stars that I haven't spent hours on the form and thousands on punting only for freak weather and race tactics making a total arse of the meeting.

It's making my enjoyment of my week in Spain all the greater!

Still, it should be back to the grind tomorrow. I've got Master The World (ante-post before I left) who is now a bit shorter with Moore booked. I might struggle to study anything else for tomorrow or Saturday for family reasons but right now I couldn't care less!

The day you don't have spells at this game where you don't think someone up there hates you there will be a blue moon in the sky.

Your attitude of couldn't care less is a good one and the fact you can still afford to go to Spain means you haven't crossed the line where the game is causing you major problems.

However I do think backing horses at Goodwood, Ascot Haydock etc in Handicaps with 16 runners and 2 year old races is absolutely nuts and that's without a track like a ploughed field

Anyone expecting to win betting in these races has a screw lose.

Some of my best wins have come in big field handicaps at Goodwood and Ascot (admittedly all a while ago)

Been a poorish week but I've had the best sort of half season I've ever had on the flat leading up to it so it's all good. Nothing tomorrow and then Polybius on Saturday.

Snoano has quite a good each way chance tomorrow, imho.

Last edited:
Especially with the 8 runners as well, although its probably a 1/10 chance there's a non runner by tomorrow. All good things usually come to an end especially when we get 8 runners in a handicap.

Last edited:
Especially with the 8 runners as well, although its probably a 1/10 chance there's a non runner by tomorrow. All good things usually come to an end especially when we get 8 runners in a handicap.
Just the two N/R's then. Snoano into 12's.

Tony Curtis and Sir Roderic against the field in the mile. No doubt more shite awaits.

Last edited:
Back