Great Guitar Solos

i just had a look at that guy you posted Ice..its just really fast samey repetetive stuff imo...he's not even close to John McLaughlin never mind Jimi..like i say that sort of stuff doesn't move me at all..i'd never criticise it but emotion wise it doesn't do it for me...

i actually preferred the advert at the start:)

Technique and skill is 10% of what it takes. I dislike rock music and guitar solos are horrendous listening most of the time

Less is more in music. Beatles were a prime example. In fairness i believe Clapton understood that and can really get the soul. Have admired some hendrix too

Possibly the most beautiful piece of classical music is Mozarts Clarinet concerto.

It is disarmingly simple but the key is

"every amateur believes they can play it and every professional despairs of doing it justice"

I think many guitarists from that time understood it..Peter Green certainly did..beautiful player

All out thrash was never my liking even in the 70's when i was a young man

As i think i mentioned once before the missus knew Peter Green very well.. He adored her

Ive met him a couple of times.. Lovely gentle man

Stunning player I would agree

Last edited:
As i think i mentioned once the missus knew Peter Green very well.. He adored her

Ive met him a couple of times.. Lovely gentle man

Stunning player I would agree

yes i seem to remember you saying..a real shame what happened to him...i saw him in mid 90's at Leadmill in Sheffield..he had just started gigging again and it i wish i hadn't gone to be honest...he had another guitarist to support him..he's probably got a bit more back since but it wasn't anything like his heyday..real shame.

there is a good documentary on him..should be on youtube

here it is... first part..there are 9 bits to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0DayWUY64&list=RDVC0DayWUY64

Last edited:
I saw this guy live in the early 90's..i think he's pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9K0l-hZeRA

God rest Jeff Healey. A tremendous blues guitarist. And a guy who had a really tough time, blind from eye cancer, adopted, self-taught on his own.

Clive, that's extraordinary about Peter Green. He was a hero of mine from back in the John Mayall days. I saw him play only once live -- with his "Splinter Group" -- but he was well past his best. Just out of a long hiatus of retirement and mental issues. He seemed a genuinely nice bloke too.

God rest Jeff Healey. A tremendous blues guitarist. And a guy who had a really tough time, blind from eye cancer, adopted, self-taught on his own.

Clive, that's extraordinary about Peter Green. He was a hero of mine from back in the John Mayall days. I saw him play only once live -- with his "Splinter Group" -- but he was well past his best. Just out of a long hiatus of retirement and mental issues. He seemed a genuinely nice bloke too.

i just posted same about PG..we must of seen him at a similar time..not great

Jeff was superb live..really superb.

Yes all true. He lived (lives?) in Richmond and was always walking by the river. 70s Richmond was very much the slightly bohemian place where a lot of that scene lived and many still do. Jagger, Townsend, ronnie wood (watched grand national with him in The Old Ship..very down to earth)

Was dating (politely putting it) his housekeeper before i met Chris too

Very nice guy. Genuine east end accent as it happens too. Absolutely no airs about him whatsoever. But he did drift off a bit.

you need to be getting into the rock scene Clive..you know most of them:)

Richmond?..Clapton Page Beck all from around that sort of area weren't they?

get that Jeff Healey link above clicked on..get into it:)

Last edited:
Clapton was. Ripley, but lived round here im sure. The Yardbirds were all local. my dad knew the parents of one of them well. My Chris met jimmy page too...i think i mentioned....

Elvis Costello lived a couple of streets away from me for most of his career

Theres a few others. Its that sort of area. Remember too that a lot of the studios were local up through Barnes to Notting Hill etc. and music companies were all round north ken and hammersmith. Also Twickenham studios was famous for the beatles (my nearest pub was in hard days night)

The godawful Queen went (mostly) to my school. Rick wakeman was local boy too

but no

This is what i love....when it switches to el barrio half way through. George has a lovely subtle way of playing and the great joe Sample sadly passed away just the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmupkqZQ6s

Last edited:
is that marcus miller?

Great bassist. Have a couple of fine albums by him. M2 is very very chilled

But for me no Bassist has ever topped ..Niles Rodgers. Perfect.

Last edited:
Drivin South is sublime

I think Stevie Ray Vaughan has been mentioned. He did a version of Drivin' South

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeSkpXxBILk

Which for me epitomises what has been discussed: formidable, flawless technique without the emotion and interpretative feel of Hendrix

I'm more than content being labelled an old windbreaker when it comes to Popular Music: it, second only to familiar scents, heads straight to the complex emotional cortices of the brain and evokes nostalgic, distant memories of time and place. This troubling and yearning but nice feeling grows stronger the further removed from 'then' we become

A good toon is a good toon whenever composed but give it 25 years and today's Radio 1 listeners will be listening to today's music on Radio 2 and muttering 'fings ain't what they used to be': it's human nature

Clivex,

Do you like Lee Morgan's Sidewinder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJi03NqXfk8

My favourite piece of what can loosely be termed Jazz

Last edited:
he must have fingerers made of metal

i'd put Jack Bruce & Entwistle up there from the rock genre..John was a fast player like Geddy Lee but Jack dragged notes from a bass guitar that other quicker players didn't..Jack wasn't slow either..Jack invented the bass being a lead instrument in the Rock vein when The Who were still a pop group..he was the first Rock Bass player that made the instrument as important as the guitar

for real feel..i'd pick Andy Fraser..beautiful feel player..who you could see was influenced by Bruce

check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k54r_ANt8o

Last edited:
Back