Great Places To Eat

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
K

Kathy

Following the theme of good (and bad) hotels, perhaps we could put up some great places to eat.

My first nomination, and a recent visit was to John Keatings restaurant in Mary Street, Dublin. It was a really great evening, really great food and we had one of the nicest meals there that we had had in the whole 7 days in Ireland. :)

Any more for any more?

I haven't been there but I looked John M Keating up on www.menupages.ie. There are mixed reviews, some good, some bad, but I can't resist repeating this one.

The worst Mother's Day ever!!!!!!! We got stinky salad/potatoes - mixed and cold - with teeth marks on some potatoes!!!!! Waitress called changed it for the same but potatoes were separated form vegetables and hot - as on other tables. Tasteless - just steamed - not salty, no dressing. I wanted to leave but my Mother calmed me down. Waitress apologised we got "by mistake" food which was meant to be binned. So I complained - and staff gave their punishment - after main course we waited 20 minutes for coffee and dessert arrived 40 minutes later than coffee.... Had to ask twice for it - staff member explained they have to bring it from downstairs. Long way.... And again we got it on dirty plates. I took my plate and my hands become greasy, on my plate it was black fingertip, dry - old - or maybe it took these 40 minutes to make it dry. So I complained again. 30 minutes took to clean the plate and bring dessert back. Tricky me - I marked the cake on the bottom - I got the same. Heated twice was hard as shell. Couldn't eat it. Have to admit - my plate was really shining - you couldn't compare it with other plates on the table - because all others arrived dirty. I asked for supervisor/manager - but nobody was there. Eventually bar manager from downstairs came and offered us as free Irish coffee as an apologise. We didn't want this, paid our bill o f 30 EURx4 and left BTW - food wasn't nice and was tasteless and dessert cake was old. I will never come to this restaurant again. Maybe Irish people are treated better - but as a foreigner I am accustomed too much better continental, clean service. For the first time in my life I was served the food somebody else didn't consume and return. It may happen maybe at home with family members - and then you know you are finishing your little sister’s plate. But in restaurant? Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Want to spend 30 EUR a person without even glass of wine and have nice time and food? - Do not go there!!!

Always like any branch of Toby Carvery.

Also for anyone who attends Haydock I can recommend Limewood Farm's carvery to anyone who fancies popping the mile or so down the East Lancs towards Liverpool, it's on the left at Haydock itself.

Originally posted by Melendez@Aug 8 2007, 10:07 AM
There will be tears in Ashford Castle if they see this.
Melendez, we only ate in the Castle (in the posh restuarant) one evening, as the food in the local pubs in Cong were much more my type of grub!

I can do posh nosh occasionally, but give me a plate of Irish stew or bacon and cabbage any day of the week! :D

That said, the breakfast at Ashford Castle was absolutely superb. :clap:

Whenever we are coming back from any of the courses that entail a trip up the M1 we often leave the motorway at junction 13 (our normal exit would be 12) and call in to The Raj Gate Indian restaurant in Ampthill. It's a little bit off the beaten track, but well worth a visit.

Holy Jazus Kathy. Keatings in Mary St was the best place you ate in Ireland? Its not even the best place on Mary St. Did nobody tell you it is on the Northside?

An, it was 10pm at night, and to be honest I was just happy to find anywhere that looked half decent and I was pleasantly surprised. I won't even begin to tell you where our hotel was for that one night. :ph34r: (booked via lastminute.com at the last minute like most of our holidays!)

I was in Keatings just after it opened and was very impressed not so much by the food (which was fine) but the conversion job they'd done on the building (an old church). I'd love to know how much they sunk into it.

Had a really nice meal at the Queens Arms in Corton Denham (Dorset - Nr Wincanton) on Monday.

Good food and good wine yet a 2 course meal and drinks for 3 of us came to only £85.

Great Value.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Aug 8 2007, 04:34 PM
I was in Keatings just after it opened and was very impressed not so much by the food (which was fine) but the conversion job they'd done on the building (an old church). I'd love to know how much they sunk into it.
It's certainly an amazing building, Gareth. We ate in the cellar restaurant.

Theres a place in a village near York - think its called teh Swan? Its a pub/restaurant - you cant book, yuo have to wait and sidle into seats as the people there leave - its ALWAYS busy, adn the food is fantastic.... :luv:

Kathy - one of the great things about TH is that you can get helpfully precise travel advice. Next time in Ireland post up your schedule and we'd be happy to help.

An, we tend to do things last minute, I just booked a couple of hotels via the internet and then just hit the road and went in search of Fishguard! I love adventures, especially in Ireland! :)

Don't talk to me about racing, Galileo. We travelled through Tipperary en route to Cong, and OH managed to drive through at about 150mph hoping I hadn't seen the signs. :suspect: I then realised that there was racing at Ballinarobe one night that was close to Cong, but that didn't happen either as we ended up travelling around Connemara and having a great time. I met a lovely, elderly lady in Cong who owns a racehorse (she insisted I had a photo) and who appeared to be under the influence and was asking me for tips all night. She was brilliant. Her shop looked as if nothing had been purchased for about 20 years so I stayed with her whilst she phoned her bets through (she picked at least two horses in every race) and then brought a few dusty items! We left the village pub at 10.30pm and her light was still on in the shop. There was racing another night too, but I thought best if I stayed away from the racing this time, as OH not quite as keen as I am! Would love to return to Ireland to take it some racing at some of the smaller tracks.

Gowran Park would be right up your street. Its National Hunt from the 1950's at its best.

I'm not saying I don't like the track. Its got more character than any coure I have visited and the card included Savkville, Be My Belle and a certain horse won its maiden hurdle at 11/10. if i knew then what I know now....

Originally posted by an capall@Aug 8 2007, 09:26 PM

'Under the influence?' She must have been out of her tree.
:D I think she was asking me for tips An as she couldn't actually see the paper let alone the print! One of her horses won at Lingfield, but she couldn't remember it's name. It's one of those parts of a holiday, I will never forget. The OH sneaked off and headed for the pub and left me to it.

I once thought I would like to go and live in Ireland permanently, but not anymore. I cannot believe how many new builds there are and how expensive it now is. I noticed quite a few what looked like Mexicans (I may be wrong) in a few towns.

I heard a story on the news about some Romanians that had camped out on a roundabout nr. Dublin and were setting up home. The Garde basically rounded them up and sent them packing on a plane home. Most of them went without a problem, and then they went back and got the rest. Not sure they would do the same here in England but it did make me smile.

Back