Great Places To Eat

• Thread starter Thread starter Kathy
  • Start date Start date
Originally posted by an capall@Aug 8 2007, 09:32 PM
I love Gowran too. And the p*ss up in Langtons afterwards.
I'm not aware of Langtons but then again find your way home is hard enough! Can you name the hore that won its maiden hurdle?

2002. It was a 2m 2f hurdle. He opened Evs and I remember them doing there best to get him in the ring. He touched 6/4 and his SP was 11/8.

Funny, i post on Ruthless Reviews as well as here and Brit Restaurants are taking a pounding on a thread about the best food cities in the world. Only the Dutch do it worse it seems.

3:15 R & H Hall Hurdle (5yo+) 2m2f

[off 3:18] £7,975.46, £2,331.29, £1,104.29, £368.10

TRAINER Age Wgt JOCKEY SP OR TS RPR

1 Beef Or Salmon Michael Hourigan 6 11-4 P G Hourigan 11/8F — 118+
2 5 Boneyarrow W P Mullins 6 11-11 R Walsh 7/2 — 120
3 dist Roman Native John E Kiely 7 10-13 C F Swan 13/2 — —
4 3½ Dangerousdanmagru N F Glynn 6 11-11 K Whelan 16/1 — —
5 dist Give Me Style W J Burke 6 11-6 P M Verling 12/1 87 — —
6 8 Akita P O´Keeffe 5 10-2 t K Hadnett(7) 50/1 — —
7 20 Failte Na Heireann (USA) Mrs John Harrington 5 10-9 Paul Moloney 20/1 — —
8 20 Joey Cee S J Treacy 5 11-0 T P Treacy 50/1 — —
F Pittsburgh Phil M J P O´Brien 5 11-7 T P Rudd 2/1 124 — —

9 ran TIME 4m 56.70s (slow by 45.70s) TOTAL SP 133%
1st OWNER: B J Craig BRED: John Murphy TRAINER: Michael Hourigan
2nd OWNER: J Comerford
3rd OWNER: Bruno Buser

TOTE WIN £2.30 PL £1.40, £1.60, £1.10; Ex £5.50; CSF £8.25

Dual bumper winner BEEF OR SALMON, who had fallen on his hurdles debut when victory looked assured, made amends here, winning in good style.
Held up in third place as Boneyarrow and Pittsburgh Phil raced clear, he closed before the third-last and jumped to the front 2 out. Ridden soon after taking the lead, he again needed to be shaken up after idling somewhat after the final hurdle. But he won going away and looked to have a bright future.
Winning rider Paul Hourigan commented: "He's a good horse and would prefer better ground. He's entered for the novice hurdles at Cheltenham but I'm not sure whether he'll go there this year."
Boneyarrow kept on when headed and time may show he had a difficult task in trying to give 7lb to the winner. Pittsburgh Phil was a beaten third when he fell at the second-last.
Roman Native, fifth behind the winner in a bumper previously when returning from a long absence, was beaten a long way but can be expected to improve

Went to The Ivy last night. The food was great and reasonably priced. The staff were extremely in fact painfully slow though. Paid for the meal in cash and the waitress counted the money at the table. Never seen that happen before. Wouldn't be in a rush to go back, personally.

The starter was poncey. The main was poncey and had me wondering where the rest of it was, whilst the dessert was acceptable.

My mates restraunt is pretty good, although he's sold it now.

Here's one of the customer reviews, legendary stuff.

Service was very friendly.

Food was average.

Eveing runied by Chef squeezinf past table throughout the evening to go and place bets in the bookmakers (Next door)!

What this means on a hygiene basis, I don't know!

John Parker - Sunday, April 09, 200

:laughing:

The Star Inn at Lidgate, a few miles south of Newmarket [surrounded by studs and picturesque villages - a pretty drive] is one of the best places to eat in Suffolk. I almost always stop off there on my way home after racing at HQ for a glass of their very good cold white wine. The food looks really tremendous - in case anyone wants to buy me supper!

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/uk...tar_Inn_Lidgate

I've heard good things of this place for a post-race meal at Windsor
http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/uk.../The_Greene_Oak

Near Newbury, there are several rural gastropubs, inc of course the Pheasant nr M4 junction 14; the Queens, and the Plough which has a new and v good chef, both in the Lambourn Valley; also the Crab at Chieveley - good seafood, and David who runs it is a chum, but they cram the tables in too close together for my liking.

Whilst trying to find the pub near Compton where we went the other day - [the Bell Inn at Aldworth: great garden, very good food - I did find this place which sounds right up my street

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/uk...23/The_Pot_Kiln

The Bell at Aldworth, however, is to die for: totally traditional and utterly charming, if heaving with people at the weekend. They do a great line in stuffed rolls - almost any filling you can think of. I had crab - excellent!

The Ibex near Charlie Egerton's yard at Chaddleworth is currently doing good food too - if you can find it! - easy to get lost in the lanes up there

I went to The Crab at Chievely last night. I can thoroughly recommend it - especially if you are partial to fish!

I have a feeling that Headstrong and Shadow Leader may know of it as it is in your neck of the woods. Not the easiest place to find without a Tom Tom I would imagine.

:D

I wouldn't touch anything on the menu or the wine list from Portugal, and when someone mentioned the word Northern Rock at the next table, I was convinced my cover had been blown. :suspect:

The Bell only does hot crusty rolls HS and has done for years - they are brilliant as you say. Been a regular up there for more than 15 years! Not so regular any more but used to be up there at least once a week without fail.

Food at the Ibex is good too - used to eat in there 3 or 4 times a week at one point! the old Ibex Pies were great in winter, we'd order them in multiple quantities!

The Crab used to be the Bull & as it's seafood only since it was taken over you wouldn't catch me near the place. How can it be hard to find Kathy??!!!! It's on the main Newbury to Wantage road!!!! :laughing:

Now if you're talking hard to find, the Pot Kiln at Frilsham [as mentioned by HS] is infamous in that respect. I haven't been there for well over 10 years but it can be hard to find as it's literally slapped in the middle of nowhere, not even in Frilsham village. There was a TV series made involving it - I was channel flicking the other day and came across it, it's strange to channel hop and come across the garden of a pub you recognise!

In the same neck of the woods as the Bell, in fact about half a mile away, is the Four Points which does very good food. In fact there are several deent pubs around here that do.

Anyone in Dublin should try Thai/Asian restaurant Diep Le Shaker [if that is correct spelling] on Pembroke Lane

As good as you'll get in that genre

I'm not a big fan of Diep Le Shaker. I was only there twice, years ago, but I thought the food was standard enough at inflated prices. The room is nice though. I'd be hard pressed to actually recommend any asian restaurant in Dublin, despite feeling I ought to love the food. Atol Kulchar (sp?) was supposed to open in Dundrum this summer which I was really looking forward to, but there is no sign of it yet so I assume plans have been shelved.

I tend to go for Zen in Rathmines, usually for a takeaway. A lot of the stuff in mindnumbingly bland and the room isn't to everyones taste (they are refurbishing at the moment), but there are a few nuggets hidden in the menu. May I suggest for your next takeaway the Chicken in Garnish, Chicken with Cashewnuts and Stewed Spicey Beef. Yes it sounds bog standard but they do it better than anyone else. And they wont deliver unless you live within a mile.

I'm off to Dublin for a week on Sunday so I shall make a note of these!! Add some expensive places to the list - I am a 'member of staff' for the week on a geography fieldtrip so expenses will be paid norty (In reality that will probably mean Burger King for me :laughing: )

My current favourites are Pearl Brasserie, The French Paradox and Fallon & Byrne.

The French Paradox is probably my favourite. You don't get a real meal, but you get plenty of tasty bits and the cheaper wines (on an expensive enough list) are usually excellent. L’assiette des Plaisirs Foie Gras is the best plate available in any Dublin restaurant I have been to.

French Paradox

Pearl Brasserie

Fallon & Byrne

If you really want to do the dirt on your employer the Michelin Star type places are Patrick Guilbaud's, Thorntons (lost it), Chapter One(gained it) and L'Ecrivian.

You need to book anything a good week in advance.

Cabbages and Condoms :eek:

Now I can't believe there isn't one person on here, whose never eat there?

That Chinese is very good actually Mel, I've eaten out of there before alright and it was very good, i have a friend from blackrock who drives there for takeaway,

Must agree to disagree on Diep...perhaps it's improved over time. The last time I was there, there was the added bonus of Colin Farrell at a nearby table so maybe they were making extra effort that night. As you said, though, Asian choice ain't great in Dublin so maybe I'm judging by those standards.

I have been eating in Dieppe for 10 years BJ - and have gone from loving it obsessively to growing indifferent. Mainly because I think the service has gone downhill badly. I've had dinner there with a selection of forumites on a couple of occasions.

If you go over Baggot St bridge there is a Malaysian place called Langkowi beside Searsons that is good.The problem is that it takes a few visits to work out what you like on the menu. I had a Malaysian boss who wouldn't eat anywhere else when in town.

If you like Indians and are Southside - there is a tiny restaurant in Monkstown called Bistro Spice. You buy your hooch in the offy next door as they don't have a licence. The food is great and reasonable.

About a mile further there is La Strada which serves the best and cheapest Italian food in Ireland - although they don't spend too much on the decor!

Back