Great Train Robbery 60 th Anniversary, it's Racing connections.

edgt

Senior Jockey
The Robbery of the Century is 60 yrs old this August.
My fascination with this event came from a primary school teacher telling us of the event and how the thieves played monopoly with real money.
That fact alone stirred my young imagination.
Anyways from reading various books and articles the horse racing connections have caught my adult imagination as much as the monopoly my child's.
Apparently Roger Cowdrey (flower pot man) was a punter and racing fanatic.
While viewing the trainline for a suitable site with Bruce Reynolds he informed Bruce that Reynoldstown won the Grand National in 1935 and 36 while the 1937 winner was Royal Mail.
Given the "tickle " they had in mind these facts tickled Bruce.
Ronnie Biggs had tried touching Bruce for £500 to start a building business, before supplying a train driver to move the train from Sears Crossing to Bridego Bridge.
Saturday before the robbery Ronnie's ew double bet yielded £600, so he had the money he needed but stayed involved in the robbery anyways.
Charlie Wilson , on his release from jail got involved in drug importation with a Columbian cabal and also ( allegedly) one Brian Wright , " Uncle " to a generation of jump jockeys including "needle man" Dermot Browne.
Finally solicitor's clerk Brian Field, who introduced the gang to someone in the know re Travelling Post Office High Value Packages , was in late 1970s along with his family killed in a motorway accident .
The offending car was owned by a daughter of Pierre " Teasie Weasie " Raymond Bessone, celebrity hair dresser and owner of Ayala, Grand National winner in 1963, 4 months before the crime.
All were unfortunately killed.
Hopefully An Capall reads this and marks the event with the solemnity it deserves.

I am not too proud for a bit of plagiarism, Ed. Stand by for a follow up!

Addendum. One of my favourite podcasts at the moment is Great British Scandal. Light hearted, interesting and informative, great for long walks. Another benefit is that it s co-hosted by the lovely Alice Levine of whom I am much fond. There was a three parter on the train robbery, released in March and can be found wherever you get your podcasts, more info on link below.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/british-scandal/id1563775446

As a friend of mine asked recently, "Why would you rob a train, where could you hide it?".

Back