Haldon Gold Cup day

Hamm

At the Start
Great card.

A very interesting Haldon Gold Cup, hard to see beyond the front 2. I wonder will Captain Chris look like he needs further (strange to say for an Arkle winner).

Nicholls is flying and has 2 short ones in the novice hurdles. Jump City should win comfortably based on his run against Smad Place. saying that, Mirific is worth a second look at 20s e/w.

Menorah over the bigger obstacles should be very interesting.

Captain Chris look like he needs further (strange to say for an Arkle winner).

I reckon Captain Chris needs an end-to-end gallop to be seen to best effect. He got that in The Arkle but may not today (only the no-hoper is a confirmed front-runner).

FWIW, I think Cornas is a shade overpriced at 12-1. Unlike the others (who have bigger fish to fry later on), he's had a run and will be fully revved up for this.

It is a savage card. Two brilliant novice hurdles to whet the appetite, before the big one and a nice novice chase.

I am looking forward to seeing Sam Winner in the novice chase, but absolutely bursting to see how Menorah gets on.

In the big race, I agree with Relkeel that Cornas looks a nice price. However, I have decided to dutch him with Zaarito, as I think that one has always looked like a topper apart from his suicidal jumping. Big if, but he should have a chance to get into the swing of things at his own pace, like he did against Golden Silver last year.

Captain Chris is the best horse in the race, but.

I keep reading everywhere Ghizao is hard fit for today. He beat Captain Chris twice last year comfortably, only losing the third encounter in the Arkle when he never went a yard. He would have beaten Finian's Rainbow at Aintree without that horlicks at the second last. He also receives 5 pounds. He should be able to give a relatively small amount of weight to the others. 5/2 is a fair price based on the above.

I'm a big fan of Captain Chris, but won't be too disappointed if he is beaten today. It's a limited handicap and he has to concede weight all round. Interesting dilemma as to whether his ultimate goal this season will be the Champion Chase or Gold Cup.

Have to disagree that Ghizao never went a yard in the Arkle. He tanked until getting the ditch at the top of the hill badly wrong and his jumping went to pieces after. Ghizao does look the today horse rather than the best prospect for the rest of the year though. No mileage in any of their prices for me though.

I'm a big fan of Captain Chris, but won't be too disappointed if he is beaten today. It's a limited handicap and he has to concede weight all round. Interesting dilemma as to whether his ultimate goal this season will be the Champion Chase or Gold Cup.

Or the Ryanair presumably.

Have to disagree that Ghizao never went a yard in the Arkle. He tanked until getting the ditch at the top of the hill badly wrong and his jumping went to pieces after. Ghizao does look the today horse rather than the best prospect for the rest of the year though. No mileage in any of their prices for me though.

He never looked to be travelling well to me, but you may be right he went downhill (ha) at the top of the hill. A funny horse, one I can't make out, but I think this is his Gold Cup.

Not one to get into an argument over it, but I watched him pretty much throughout and saw my cash go west. Tanked maybe overstating it mind.

Anybody who thought Ghizao was travelling poorly in the Arkle was miles off.

Anybody who backed Ghizao in the Arkle was even further off.

But really, I was just being a smart arse.

Cantoris, do you have an opinion on how likely it is that Zaarito will jump round without killing himself or his jockey today?

I'm going to back Zaarito today. If there is a slow pace he will head off in front. I think there was an expectation before that stepping him up in trip would help his jumping, when in fact he was just emptying out and having tired falls. So back to 2 miles and bomb off in front. Should suit him if they go slow. I'd be amazed with a clear round if he is not there off 148. He always struck me at a high 150s horse. 6/1 with faller insurance seems very fair with PP.

1:50 Rocky Creek - Is a very exciting young horse who has plenty of scope, they are buzzing at the yard about him and will hopefully make one of the festival entries in march.

2:20 Mirific - Small e/way 20/1- Tom Symonds says this horse was always one of his favourite horse at the Nicky Henderson yard but endured countless injuries when training him, very unlucky, But dispite that has always shown some class at home and plenty of scope. He finishes by stating ( If he remains fit, he will be worth waiting for)

2:50 Ghizao - Looks alot stronger this year and they had this race as his target.

3.50 - Rockabilly makes his chasing debut having showed abilility over hurdles, winning the last of his four runs at this track last March in good style. That was over 3m, the same trip as today and on the same ground. So with trip and ground to suit and some promising work at home a good run can also be expected with each way prospects realistic.

Back