Haldon Gold Cup day

Ghizao at the weights/prices for me, though it's my sincere hope that Capt Chris bolts-up and forces connections down the QM route, leaving Wishfull Thinking free to make a run at the Gold Cup for connections.

Pleased to see others with some confidence about Zaarito. Possibly the most interesting thing is that Murphy has sent him over for this, he doesn't send many horses over but when he does they are rarely far away. At 7/1 i'm willing to take a punt that his jumping holds up. Personally i think Captain Chris is the biggest danger. He improved past Ghizao and Medermit and i would be surprised if they can beat him even though they are getting weight.

What happened to Ghizao, I have no pictures here!

From the results he's not even in the frame!, Paul Nicholls has a fantastic record in Handicap Chases during November - I thought Ghizao would of been printing money.

I remember him falling off a horse 10 yards before the line (asking 1.01 in running) when I was on for €700 at this meeting 5 years ago. I never quite recovered from it.

Last edited:
Watched it again a couple of times - Menorah just dived a bit at it and shot him out the side door. Many may have stayed on him. Otherwise not much to trouble Peddlers!!

I missed Menorah's race... was he performing otherwise?

Hard to say. Guessed at a few but was strolling home as Sam Winner was jumping left and losing many lengths at every fence. Menorah must have been a silly price in running.

I missed Menorah's race... was he performing otherwise?

He was jumping very well in the main and he travelled on the bridle until calamity struck - he never looked like falling - the jock fell out the side door. He would have on the steel by ten lengths minimum.

Last edited:
Menorah jumped superbly at times. Deckie keen to take no chances when race in the bag, which meant the poor horse got confused. Very impressive debut otherwise. Captain Chris jumped as he did early last year - very bold but sometimes too long, as he was at the last.

Last edited:
Just seen that Captain Chris jump at the last again looks bloody awkward and painful landing for the horse from a huge leap in the air hope he hasn't damaged himself.

I have not looked at the action today but just surprised at first glance that Captain Chris has shorterned up for the KG on the back of a final fence fall in the Haldon Gold Cup. I may be wrong but Voy Pur Ustedes was an Arkle winner said to be future KG winner, it never materialised. Imo horses like Wishful thinking, Riverside Theatre are of more interest to me in terms of looking that far ahead to boxing day, as alternatives to Long Run etc: proven at around 3 miles.

To back Captain Chris first time at 3 miles in the KG would surely take one great leap of faith, unless they're lining up a crack at the Betfair Chase or another 3 miler beforehand.

Last edited:
I'd say Richard Johnson isn't too happy with himself tonight.
My take on today is Sam Winner continues to disappoint and there should be plenty of mileage laying him until the end if the season.

I may be wrong but Voy Pur Ustedes was an Arkle winner said to be future KG winner, it never materialised.
You are - Voy Por Ustedes was an Arkle winner who won the Champion Chase the following season. Comparisons with Captain Chris at this stage are largely irrelevant. With respect, natch.

An example as opposed to an outright comparison.

Is my point as a whole and taken in context irrelevent though, Rory?

Last edited:
At similar prices I'd far rather be with the Captain than Master Minded. He surely remains the biggest danger to Long Run.

I reckon its hard to tell what "remains" the biggers danger to Long Run, given there's still so much potential improvement from a few of the others.

Last edited:
I thought he showed a serious change of gear between the last 2 fences but surely the logical next race for him is the Tingle Creek and if he goes there I can't see him stepping straight from 2 miles to 3 miles.

Back