Haskill Invitational - Return of Big Brown today

Looks like Big Brown runs next on the turf in the second week of September and then will go for the BC Classic.

Surprisingly Curlin may not run in the Classic this year because of the surface.

Coolmore have mentioned Henry as their runner, but I am hoping that after winning at York and Leopardstown they will surely aim him at this rather than the Turf. Run the two of them!

I have rather changed my opinion on DOM in relation to everything since the start of the season!!

With a doubt about Henry wanting 10 furlongs, surely Coolmore need to stick DOM in there as a safe guard. Even if they both place in the race they would be able to stand in the states on the back of it and their previous performances. More synthetic tracks opens up the breeding market as well over there to more European influences.

Jackson lays down incentive for Big Brown match up

Dan Farley

JESS JACKSON, majority owner of reigning Horse of the Year Curlin, who will make his next start in the Grade 1 Woodward Stakes at Saratoga on August 30, has invited Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner Big Brown to contest the race.

The successful owner has said he will donate $50,000 from the Jackson Curlin for Kids Fund to the Belmont Child Care Association, Anna House, should the connections of the dual-Classic winner take him upon his invitation.

Big Brown most recently won the Grade 1 Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park, on what was his first start since being eased in the Belmont Stakes.

His trainer Rick Dutrow then made some disparaging remarks about Curlin, comparing Big Brown favourably to the older champion.

"Big Brown's camp's recent remarks about Curlin inspired me to offer an incentive to get these two great horses to race at the legendary track at the Spa," said Jackson.
"Both horses are eligible for this race and both have plenty of time to prepare for what would be thoroughbred racing at its very best, and in the name of a great cause."

Under the conditions of the Woodward, run over 1m1f on the main track, Curlin would have to concede 5lb to his year-younger rival.

"This type of competition between horses," added Jackson," is exactly what thoroughbred racing needs - an event that introduces excitement and competition of racing to a broader audience.

"Imagine Horse of the Year Curlin racing against Derby winner Big Brown, on a legendary track. I would love it, fans would love it and the horses would love it."

I woner is Jess jackson half making this offer knowing Big Brown will almost certainly not show up (just a week after the Travers). Surely the JC Gold Cup at Belmont would be a more suitable race, though it's probably too close to the BC.

Very shrewd move on the part of IEAH to get the stallion deal sealed back on Prekness day BTW, wasn't it?

I think it's implicit in the challenge that he skips the Travers; i.e. "stop beating up* the same bunch of mug 3yos and try your horse against the big boys".

*not that I think the Haskill counts in any way as a "beat up".

What I meant was that the Woodward is only a week after the Travers. Having said that Big Brown would miss the Travers after a hard race in the Haskell, it's hardly likely that his connections will send him out just 7 days later against Curlin, is it?

I have rather changed my opinion on DOM in relation to everything since the start of the season!!

With a doubt about Henry wanting 10 furlongs, surely Coolmore need to stick DOM in there as a safe guard. Even if they both place in the race they would be able to stand in the states on the back of it and their previous performances. More synthetic tracks opens up the breeding market as well over there to more European influences.

I'd agree with that, as regards Duke of Marmalade going for the Classic. He'd be more suited to it then Henry in terms of stamina and racing style.

Plus, contrary to what Magnier said after Goodwood, I think Henry needs to duel with Tamayuz to be the undisputed Champion Miler in Europe.

It sounds like Henry probably will not try 10 furlongs until the Classic itself so a clash with the French horse looks likely....unless they are frightened off again....

From The Bloodhorse

Dual classic winner Big Brown is scheduled to have his prep for the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) in a turf race at Monmouth Park on Sept. 13, according to Michael Iavarone, co-president and co-CEO of IEAH Stables.

The colt's connections decided on the grass race as a transition for Big Brown from the main dirt tracks he has been running on this year to the synthetic surface at Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup, Iavarone said via telephone Aug. 21.

The 1 1/8 mile race for 3-year-olds and up -- the newly created Monmouth Stakes -- will have its purse boosted from $200,000 to $500,000 if Big Brown competes.

Big Brown, who won the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) before his Triple Crown bid ended while being pulled up in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I). In his first start after the Belmont, the Boundary colt won the $1 million Haskell Invitational before a Monmouth Park crowd of 45,132 on Aug. 3.

While there were other options considered by the owners and trainer Rick Dutrow, Jr., including a stakes race at Philadelphia Park for which the purse would have been $1 million with Big Brown in the field, Iavarone said one of the deciding factors was the condition of the Monmouth Park grass course.

Kip Deville, raced by IEAH and partners, won the 2007 NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Monmouth Park over a grass course that had been saturated by rain.

"The money (to lure Big Brown) was secondary (to their decision)," Iavarone said. "That turf course had taken five or six inches of rain before Kip Deville's Breeders' Cup and yet it was in great shape. I was very impressed with thtat course."

"We're overjoyed that Big Brown will be returning to New Jersey," Bob Kulina, vice president and general manager of Monmouth Park, said in a press release. "Big Brown coming back to the Jersey Shore will provide added excitement to September racing at Monmouth and should be an across the board winner for his connections, the fans, and the racing industry in New Jersey."

Big Brown has won five of six starts and has earned $3,314,500 for IEAH, Paul Pompa, Jr. and partners.

The Monmouth Stakes will mark the colt's second race on turf. Big Brown broke his maiden at first asking on Sept. 3, 2007, winning by 11 1/4 lengths over the Saratoga turf course.

Back