Hatton's Grace Hurdle

Brave Inca had a great comeback run today. I was getting seriously excited when I saw how well he was going coming into the straight. It even seemed for a few seconds that he and Hardy Eustace might lock horns once more and give us one of their amazing battles to enjoy. Having dealt with that rival fitness told in the end, I think. Assuming he comes out of the race well there should be a bit more to come.

Hardy might have a bit more to give as well, because it's possible that this race came a bit too soon for him after Punchestown.

Without being bullish, Colm Murphy had been quietly positive about Brave Inca in the run up to today's race and got it right. I think his handling of Brave Inca all through his career has been spot on.

Agreed Grey, and so much credit to Murphy and his team. A top class trainer if anyone needed any reminding.

Just back from dinner with the folks. It's like we were celebrating a win and we all agree that we are more ecstatic today than most of his wins. As I mentioned before, his racecourse gallop a few weeks back had colm beaming from ear to ear and he thought he was as good as ever, benefitting from some time off. But when you come back you are hoping rather than anything else. Certainly the stable staff thought he would be in the first three.

But what a great effort. He jumped well and Davy said he didn't want to throw him at the hurdles on his first run back so there is improvement on that front to start with. He also said he blew up after the last but no other horse has carried him so well from the thrid last to the line in a grade 1. So we are all delighted and hopefully he will come out of the race ok.

In terms of where he goes next (assuming he is ok tomorrow), the Crimbo hurdle in Leopardstown is the obvious target. We will wait to see after that but we are still dreaming of a return to Chellers.

Some of you have commented on various pieces of his career. In hindsight, he wasn't fit enough for his first champion hurdle (we didnt realise how much work he would take) and the difference between Barry and AP the following year was that AP took Hardy on at the top of the hill when Barry didn't. That was the winning and losing of it. The second year, when he won it, he was actually over the top (he was trained for the Irish Champion). The third year I'm convinced he picked up the start of his inury in the Irish Champion and in Cheltenham he clearly moved to the left on the run in, the leg which he injured.

So who knows what this year might hold. We just need to wait and see but nice to have him back.

I have to say the undoubted highlight of the day for me was seeing Hardy swinging into the straight with Brave Inca on his heels. Fantastic stuff. Even Dessie seemed to be genuinely excited by it all (perhaps a throwback to the time when he actually found calling races consistently exciting?! :p)..

25/1 for the Champion is an insult.

Was going to go up and give you a bell, Cantoris, but wasn't positive of your exact identity (green Winning Ways baseball cap, by any chance?) and didn't fancy making an arse of myself! Was literally standing a few feet away in the ring!

Your explanation for the defeat in his third year, is of course all wrong Cantoris, :ninja: but then I've never been prepared to own up to my part in his downfall, (unitl now - and perhaps whilst you're in good spirits, I ought to come clean).

I explained that I don't think I'd ever won on the horse, and every time I had backed him, he lost, having promised you in the Plough that I'd backed something else, I was at that point being truthful. Unfortunately, you can blame Maruco, who was so confident on the walk into the course that Inca was the winner, combined with the drift in the price, I just figured 5/1 was too big, and once again I fear I kyboshed him at that very point:whistle:

Surely the stayers route would be best for Brave Inca?

I wouldn't bet him at 50/1 for the Champion.

Impressive run from all of the first three home imo, serious performance from brave inca. Don't think i've ever seen him travel so easily throughout a race. I don't expect him to beat sizing europe at leopardstown but if he gets close i'd fancy him to turn the form around in cheltenham...interesting times ahead!

INCA IN TOP TRIM
By Tom Peacock, PA Sport
Former Champion Hurdle winner Brave Inca appears none the worse after his first run in 18 months at Fairyhouse on Sunday.
Colm Murphy's old warrior, placed on two other occasions in the Cheltenham race aside from his 2006 victory, was returning from injury but lit up the Bar One Racing Hatton's Grace Hurdle with his promising performance.
Davy Russell was in the plate for the first time as Brave Inca battled away with Catch Me, only succumbing by a length and a half in the end.
The Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown is set to be the next port of call.
"He seems to have come out of the race fine," said Murphy.
"He has been down to the river this morning and we'll put him out in the field later on, so fingers crossed he's OK. I'd say it's more than likely he'll run at Christmas now."

So far so good

he was fine this morning. Left a little grub behind which is not unusual with him. Colm is thrilled with him and he will improve.

Sorry to do this but someone has to get the cliche out of the way...

What about the bounce factor?

The bounce theory is that a horse needs more recovery time than usual after its first race following a lay-off. I would guess that four weeks will be a long enough interval before Leopardstown if everything else is ok.

The bounce theory is that a horse needs more recovery time than usual after its first race following a lay-off. I would guess that four weeks will be a long enough interval before Leopardstown if everything else is ok.

Yes, it equates to fitness not form. He has shown that he is back in form and although I normally wouldn't dream of backing an 11 year old for the champ hurdle I'll have a bit on this fella he's so tough. People aren't giving catch me the credit he's due imo.

I don't think he will bounce. He might. But he has been on the go since June and I think he was a little fitter than normal for his first run than previous years so think he should take it. He's got that sort of constitution too that it shouldn't take it out of him. Davy gave him a nice intro, they didn't go a mad pace. And he ate up most of his grub which is a good sign.

We have a list of 5 riders and our stated policy is to use the best available. That changes depending on who is riding with the most confidence so I can't tell you who will ride him next timw.

Fantastic comeback from Brave inca only lack of fitness beat him.Hardy Eustace put up another solid performance,not sure he stays that far on that ground.

Back