Help Needed - Pub in York showing the racing

betsmate

At the Start
Looks like I am being forced to watch the racing in a pub in York on Friday any good good tips for where is showing it? Just the Ch4 races will be fine.

Cheers

Also - a pub in Aviemore for the next couple of days would be useful, although I can probably watch online.

You are right, however...

I took a week off work to watch the festival (girlfriend at work - she will get over it)
I decided to spend two of the days Snowboarding without her (mildy unhappy)
Told her I wouldn't be home for an extra day because I'm going mountain biking (getting a bit pissed)

She books Friday afternoon off work as she knows I'm back, suggests we go to York for the day. I had two options:

- Tell her no, I'm watching the racing
- Tell her yes and why don't we go and watch the racing in the pub and I'll put some bets on for her.

She loves the second idea. I'm not a martyr.

You're a legend Sheikh, ta.

Edit: Hang on those pubs are in Chester, thought I didn't recognise any!

You are right, however...

I took a week off work to watch the festival (girlfriend at work - she will get over it)
I decided to spend two of the days Snowboarding without her (mildy unhappy)
Told her I wouldn't be home for an extra day because I'm going mountain biking (getting a bit pissed)

She books Friday afternoon off work as she knows I'm back, suggests we go to York for the day. I had two options:

- Tell her no, I'm watching the racing
- Tell her yes and why don't we go and watch the racing in the pub and I'll put some bets on for her.

She loves the second idea. I'm not a martyr.

:lol:

Option 3. Dump said girlfriend and live the dream. Its why Slimchance has managed to stay single all this time....

bestmate
you have to be clear with your girlfriend

I married to a mexican girl and she knows what I am doing this week every year,
the only thing she asks me is what time is the first and the last race

Thanks Suny. Good advice.

Obviously if this was the flat season she would have known better.

A pub called The Terrace had it on last season, big screens RUK coverage. It's near Whipmawhopmagate. I kid you not.

Thanks bloodnok.

Snowboarding is cancelled. Two hours, but only 50 miles into the journey, with ungritted roads, a thickening blizzard and -4 on the thermometer, driving to the far north of Scotland to sleep in my car seemed less appealing than when planning it in last week's sunshine!

Not sure if that means you aren't going to York or what but my two cents anyway:

The Terrace is a typical modern sports bar. Price of a pint is ludicrous (not ideal if you're bedding in for the day). Punch Bowl and Postern Gate are both typical Spoons pubs. Punch Bowl probably a safe option but Postern Gate is a dark, dingy hole of a place that should be avoided. White Horse is a quiet pub with a decent vibe; wouldn't think it will be packed during the day though. You're best bet may be the O'Neills in the middle of town (just near the bridge) - will be showing the racing and should be a bit of craic to be had.

If you're staying for the evening two places worth considering are The Rook And Gaskill (if you're into real ales and traditional pub feel) and Trembling Madness (if you're into getting your head absolutely blown off). I would say the latter (used to be called The Bottle Shop) is essential actually - great vibe, great selection of drinks, and you are virtually guaranteed to leave on your ear. Only negative is that it tends to be rammed.

Cheers guys. I know York pretty well, so that is plenty of options. Just heading towards aviemore now, after another change of heart...

Back