Hennessy field.

Some nice horses in the field but it just leaves me thinking how lucky we've been to have had Denman lining up in this race in the last few years.

It's been a real privilege hasn't it... Id be surprised if one of the highweights emulate him. Some very useful types below 11st this year.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is that the worst Hennessy field assembled for years. Looks more like a Welsh National line up with a few non stayers! Brutal - even Joncol has a chance:whistle:

Last edited:
Is it just me or is that the worst Hennessy field assembled for years. Looks more like a Welsh National line up with a few non stayers! Brutal - even Joncol has a chance:whistle:

Depends what criteria you take. Although there's no Denman in the field (and we've been spoilt in this regard) it's the most competitive race we've had so far this season... if that qualifies as "worst" I'm happy to see more like it. Look for one that is generously treated down the weights.

Depends what criteria you take. Although there's no Denman in the field (and we've been spoilt in this regard) it's the most competitive race we've had so far this season... if that qualifies as "worst" I'm happy to see more like it. Look for one that is generously treated down the weights.

such as?!...

such as?!...

As mentioned earlier my long-term fancy and the one I’ve backed at 12/1 is Wayward Prince. Those I’d be looking to have savers on come the day would be out of: Wymott, Beshaber, possibly Michel Le Bon and Great Endeavour, in rough order after Wayward Prince.

In terms of the TTF Wayward Prince or Aiteen Thirtythree would suit me best.

Last edited:
Wayward Prince for me.

A shame that Long Run didn't line up for this. I'd love to see him run in it next year.

...all but a small handful would be pushed out of the handicap if that happened.

Very likely. Would be great to see though. I like seeing GC horses and better still, GC winners run in the race.

I always thought the race would have suited Dessie actually. Undoubtedly he preferred going right-handed but Newbury is a flat track, which he did like. I reckon he'd have jumped them all silly, just as Denman did.

I could see Long Run going well there too.

Last edited:
Just realised Neptune gets a 7lb claimer on his back.

This strikes me as bad placement of Neptune Collonges unless he's strictly in there as a favour to his stablemates (John Hales would love that!). Look at the horse since he's come back from a lay off and he's sulked from a very early stage in big fields that he can't dominate. The only time he's looked anything like the horse he once was was in the Pillar where he was able to dominate a small field.

If he were mine, I'd be cherry picking small field conditions races for him, like the Aon, Pillar, Lexus, Irish Hennessy etc where he's more likely to be seen to best effect.

Can't resist a few quid at Tullamore Dew at 40's+ on betfair, even if I'm worried such prices mean he might not run. We saw in the Paddy Power that his Cheltenham Festival form is solid with Quantitiveeasing and Divers filling the places in the Paddy Power and perhaps Tullamore Dew would have been in the frame had he stood up. He's generally a sound jumper and it was a strange fall in the Paddy Power, one that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on. The key to his chance is the step up in trip I think. Related to plenty of staying chasers on the dam side, the Festival run points to him relishing the trip, and whilst his staying-on effort up the Hill is overplayed vy Vino Griego's capitulation, he's definitely coming back at the first two.

This strikes me as bad placement of Neptune Collonges unless he's strictly in there as a favour to his stablemates (John Hales would love that!). Look at the horse since he's come back from a lay off and he's sulked from a very early stage in big fields that he can't dominate. The only time he's looked anything like the horse he once was was in the Pillar where he was able to dominate a small field.

If he were mine, I'd be cherry picking small field conditions races for him, like the Aon, Pillar, Lexus, Irish Hennessy etc where he's more likely to be seen to best effect.

I agree. It has the look of Neptune keeping the weights down for his other two doesn't it (a tactic exploited to some success notably by the likes of Martin Pipe). It's the other two Nicholls appears excited about.

Is Aiteen Thirtythree likely to be suited by the big field? Most of his wins have come when he was able to dominate, usually in small fields.

I'm sure I read that Nicholls said he didn't enjoy the hustle and bustle of the RSA. Or did he just mean Cheltenham?

Is Aiteen Thirtythree likely to be suited by the big field? Most of his wins have come when he was able to dominate, usually in small fields.

I'm sure I read that Nicholls said he didn't enjoy the hustle and bustle of the RSA. Or did he just mean Cheltenham?

Not sure... I've gone off him a little though, although he did nothing wrong on his reappearance. I can't quite put my finger on it. He perhaps seems a little ponderous.

Wymott for me. Very consistent so far and although first time out he looks a little skinny at 7/1 in such an open affair I think he is the one who looks most likely to go on and make a proper graded chaser. Trevor Hemmings must like this race having had Trabolgan win it previously and Burton Port 2nd last year so maybe this is a race he likes to farm.

Last edited:

Aiteen Thirtythree is a moose. He makes Quito De La Roque look like a Nunthorpe candidate. Unless Nicholls has put in a new gear box whilst doing the obligatory wind op I wouldn't take the 6/1 for him to be placed. He wouldn't win the Troytown off 11st.

Aiteen Thirtythree is a moose. He makes Quito De La Roque look like a Nunthorpe candidate. Unless Nicholls has put in a new gear box whilst doing the obligatory wind op I wouldn't take the 6/1 for him to be placed. He wouldn't win the Troytown off 11st.
Care to get off the fence?

Care to get off the fence?

I have to be against the first two in the Market at least and possibly Wymott also - If I had to have a bet on something to actually go and win the race I would find it difficult. It's a race I have always enjoyed but this field has more holes in them than the East coast of Scotland.

Okay then!

I have to be against the first two in the Market at least and possibly Wymott also - If I had to have a bet on something to actually go and win the race I would find it difficult. It's a race I have always enjoyed but this field has more holes in them than the East coast of Scotland.

If you think it's a rough lot I recommend you back Wayward Prince... I don't think he can run a bad race here... if it is as you say and there is nothing to beat (I take the view that it is competitive), he'll win doing cartwheels.

Worth mentioning that although Great Endeavour has been raised 10lb for his Paddy Power win, he only gets a 4lb penalty here. He'll likely not get this trip as well though.

Joncol ruled out by Nolan. What is it with this guy, first Noble Prince and now this horse? Has he just got no balls whatsoever?

Back