Hennessy

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Can't wait for this race, and with all the pundits seeming to want to get Denman I think he'll drift on the day and be a backable price. I also like Killyglen for the race as well. The form of his first run (over an inadequate trip giving weight away) has worked out well and i've taken 10s.

Of the others I don't think Barber's Shop will stay but respect his chance nevertheless. What a Friend and Cappa Bleu are at ridiculous odds for what they've done.

Denman's bound to drift. I can believe anything of this horse after his first Hennessy (note spelling) in which he defied the weights and subsequently left Kauto Star and co floundering about in his wake in the Gold Cup.

But as it gets nearer the time people will begin to focus on which ones are at the bottom of the handicap proper as well as those with form against him such as MdB who will be receiving weight.

This of course will not affect his chance.

Was gutted to see Trafford Lad miss this race - thought he had a great chance after his seasonal debut. Denman has to be taken on.

I think the market makers are getting too carried away with the second season chaser thing. I don't think this applies as much this year with such a highly rated top weight. How the likes of Horner Woods and Gone to Luch can be shorter than Halcon Genelardais and MDB is beyond me. The former in particular was the most flattered horse at the Festival and should be 50s.

Denman and Killyglen for me. Track should suit both and both have a good chance at the weights if they are on top form.

Much revolves around the participation od Denman of course set to shoulder 11 12. The next in the weights MdB (11 7) would likely not take part unless Denman took part.

The entire complexion of the race could yet change. The rise in the weights could be either non-existant or dramatic.

At the moment a horse of the standing of Ballyfitz for example is set a couple of stone below Denman.

I think betting on Denman is betting on whether the Denman of two years ago turns up. For me, the weight won't be a massive issue as he's built to carry it better than most horses.

Regardless of him being back to his best or not, at 10 years of age he strikes me as a horse that will probably need his return to action.

I couldn't back Denman at the moment until I've seen him back to his old "pillar to post" blistering form. That was his strong point and why he was winning as he liked, the Denman of last season getting beaten by Madison Du Berlais, beaten in the Gold Cup (albeit by a top class horse) and being at best 50/50 win/lose against Our Vic in the Betfair Bowl isn't the Denman that won the Gold Cup or the Hennessy in a canter.

I haven't seen the entries and don't know when the weights came out but I was very taken with Ellerslie George at Wincanton last time where he ran a smart field ragged at a good clip. If he's only got a penalty to carry he'd interest me a lot.

The second season chaser is still the type I'd prefer to have onside but maybe a less exposed one, or one that missed the festivals or came down early in one of the top novice races. The handicapper tends to latch on to the top ones but they do still improve.

I would no longer let big weights put me off if I thought the horse was well handciapped. Travado and Denman have both defied big weights in recent years but they weren't up against future top horses carrying low weights.

It's a wait and see game.

You don't think The Tother one ran with at least as much credit?

If i had a notebook that I was partial to putting things in I would have done so with him rather than Ellerslie Tom. I believe he is not a likely runner but given that he at least has an entry that would also give him an edge over Ellerslie Tom.

If i had a notebook that I was partial to putting things in I would have done so with him rather than Ellerslie Tom. I believe he is not a likely runner but given that he at least has an entry that would also give him an edge over Ellerslie Tom.

I love The Tother One! (my dark horse for the TTF). Was surprised he was pulled out of the Hennessy (not sure why).

The Tother One, as short as 10-1 for the race, was the most notable absentee on Wednesday, along with the injured Trafford Lad and Air Force One.

Source: Racing Post

Last edited:
I really like him as well - his running all over the place at Cheltenham is not something I'll forget in a hurry!

I would also take him rather than Ellerslie George out of that Wincanton result.

What A Friend must be worth considering. Set to carry just above 10 stone, assuming his stablemate Denman takes part. He looks a bit short in the betting to me at second favourite.

I can see where you're coming from. The Tother One ran a great race too but you half-expect that from an unexposed type. Ellerslie George was regarded as being exposed but my figures say he put up a much improved performance there and I'd rate his improvement as more surprising than TTO's.

Back