Holiday Fancies

I don't think Luke meant it in terms of class Hamm more in terms of it being a different test - pointing being different to British chasing and French chasing different to British etc. (that's how I read it anyway).

The form was in the book as has been discussed earlier in the thread and was there for all to see.

There is without a gulf in class between ptp and racing within rules.

There is no such difference between French jumps and British and Irish jumps and if anything, the other horses were the pointers as Long Run had more experience and was the Champion French 4 year old.

Petit Robin in the two miler and Piraya in the h'cap chase at Kempton this afternoon. Only two fancies of the day but my good run has to end some time soon...

Well Chief comes out the better horse for me, as I think his jumping left cost him dearly. Should be suited by the Game Spirit you would think.

There's a horse that a friend of mine is involved with called "The Hard Hat" trained by colm murphy. He came 2nd in a maiden hurdle first time out and is due to run in a bumper around 26th/27th in either leopardstown or Downpatrick. They are very sweet on him. His price will probably depend on what Mullins or Meade has in the race!

This fella ended up running in a maiden hurdle today at Down Royal and won at 2/1. I got a morning price of 11/4 so happy enough. That combined with a double of Sizing Europe, who was extremely lucky, and Kauto to win by 6 lengths or more yesterday proved to be quite rewarding!:D

I don't think Sizing Europe will win many more races over fences. Still fails to convince and Captain Cee Bee will be a real threat for the Arkle based on today.

Ridiculous comment -barring injury he will win plenty of races.

I will be having a strong bet on Le Bau Bai in the Welsh National-my worry would be that he will be beaten by an out and out plodder.
In the same race I would be very tempted to place lay The Tother One at 2.4 or less for the entire bank.I really didn't like the way he got detatched at Cheltenham and he doesn't strike me as the ideal type for tomorrows conditions.

The Welsh National is a smashing race and isn't easy to solve.

I'm wary of Operation Houdini. Some of these Irish handicappers are getting in lightly but at least our guy has put him up a fair bit for not winning last time. The BHA must be tearing their hair out behind the scenes that the Irish ratings are so much lower than ours and some horses are bound to slip through the net. I think they should work out the average discrepancy and just hike the Irish runners when they're entered here. I'll probably have a enough on OH to cover my other bets.

Of the home contingent, I have to favour Le Beau Bai. I've done well this season when I've gone high with some of the form and I went high with this one last time. The 4lb penalty looks unlikely to have much impact. On this season's form I have him top rated with a +p so I don't mind that he's favourite.

I imagine the Nicholls horses and Ballyfitz will run well, while Gone to Lunch is also nicely handicapped. Kornati Kid remains a horse of some potential despite not showing it in the Hennessy.

I suspect old Halcon Genelardais might stage a bit of a comeback off a lenient mark but the evidence points to his not being the force of old, a remark that could apply to Miko De Beauchene.

The 1.00 is interesting. Victorias Groom tops my ratings with a +p but I've decided to oppose it. I just can't help thinking if either Or Bleu or Buck The Legend, who have higher ratings on the best of last year's form, return to form they can beat the fav. As second season chasers, they're entitled to find the kind of improvement the fav has already shown. There's an element of thinking outside the box there but there you are!

The juvenile race should be informative but isn't one to risk any dosh.

Last edited:
Bit unoriginal but gone for Le Beau Bai at chepstow he looks like the strong sort needed today,also gone for Joncol and Noble Prince at leopardstown nice to get some good racing to enjoy win or lose.

I'm wary of Operation Houdini. Some of these Irish handicappers are getting in lightly but at least our guy has put him up a fair bit for not winning last time. The BHA must be tearing their hair out behind the scenes that the Irish ratings are so much lower than ours and some horses are bound to slip through the net. I think they should work out the average discrepancy and just hike the Irish runners when they're entered here. I'll probably have a enough on OH to cover my other bets.

Houdini is worth watching in-running by the way. Not a great traveller [although Ruby sat on him for the first time in October and he travelled like a drea in Galway]- one of those that can be niggled early but it's not a negative. Finds plenty under pressure.

Enterprise Park is out to 2/1 in the next at Limerick - Mullins said after his last race he was one of the nicest horses in his yard.

Great story at Chepstow, in fairness. A triumph for patience in a way, with respect to Dream Alliance. They do come back sometimes!

Houdini's race was run before it even started. Never the kind of horse to get wound up and appear so keen. Clearly unsettled by preliminaries, very out of character.

Good shout Luke.

Was anyone else sorely disappointed at the ride Le Beau Bai got?

You can't come from the back in that ground unless they go far too fast up front. The other placed horses were all prominent throughout the first half of the race, going a suitable pace. If he was riding to instructions then the instructions were wrong. If he took it upon himself to come from behind he is an idiot. If, being generous, he was squeezed out on the run to the first bend, he should have made his ground on the downhill run on the back straight on the first circuit. It was also obvious from the TV pictures that they were slowing the pace down on the back straight yet he did nothing to improve his position. No wonder he's still an amateur.

I reckon LBB is a good ten to fifteen lengths better than he showed there.

Well done Luke, we had opposite views but The Totherone was well beaten.

DO, seems like you're pocket talking. Le Beau Bai wasn't ridden from the back, and was simply not good enough.

Silver by nature a little unlucky I thought.

Backed Gone to Lunch who seemed to hate either the track or the ground but probably both.

Just goes to show how "poor" Denman's other Hennessy was.

Did anyone watch the Limerick 1.50?

I thought Salsify, who finished in third place, was given an "interesting" ride.

I appreciate that Mr. Sweeney hasn't had a great many rides under rules but he has ridden three winners.

Back