Horse In Training Sales - Entries

Guest_

At the Start
The Tattersalls HIT sales Catelogue is out and some interesting entries. Obviously many will not turn up but plenty of familiar names...

Dragon Dancer
Abraham Lincoln
Bashkirov
King Of Rome
Honoured Guest
New Zealand
Honolulu
Hindu Kush
Macarthur
Washington Irving
Contest
Hattan
Alarazi
Flash McGahon
Icesolator
Hoh Mike
Rock Moss
Greek Well
Snoqualmie Boy
Westlake
Sound Of Nature
Raincoat
Bruges
Championship Point
Halicarnassus

I wouldn't mind Hindu Kush - thought he ran quite a nice race in the Leger and also a lovely looking animal. Slightly out of my price range though...

Lot 901, Lough Diver, is an interesting one - he will make a lovely hurdler and has the scope to jump a fence in time.

I don't know who Box41 are or the recent circumstances. Can you fill me in?

Box 41, is the name of Mick Channon's private box at Newbury racecourse and all his good friends got involved to buy horses together under the banner of Box 41.

The first nominated partner on the ownership was Tim Corby and he purchased the horses and ran the partnership. After Tim's death all the horses are to be sold and they will restart the partnership next season with a new organiser.

Very sad somehow to see so many of Channon's old stagers int here - Hattan too, I was a few yards from him the other night and thinking how good it was to see his familiar form still on the go

He's still a full horse, I wonder if he will still be raced (he's won recently and is still winning good money) or be put to stallion duties at a small stud?

Lot 901, Lough Diver, is an interesting one - he will make a lovely hurdler and has the scope to jump a fence in time.

Saw the horse the other day on TV, a fine looking beast who should sell well if sent. Would much rather be the seller than the buyer of him.

The likes of King Of Rome (sold privately I think) and Macarthur were both withdrawn. Washington Irving sold for 300,000 to J.H Johnson. Hindu Kush went for around the 100,000 mark, of the two I would take HK.

Presume J.H. Johnson would be J. Howard Johnson buying for Wylie then.

Why do they pay that much for hurdlers? They don´t have the stud value of the flat horses and even if they did the top whack would be 5k or so.

Have to say I didn't care too for Lough Diver's head carriage either at Goodwood or Newmarket to be honest. Don't think he was in the sales but think Blimey O'Riley from the same source would make a smashing hurdler.

I love the horse - and after his final two runs and what with the bottom falling completely out of the market he might just go cheap. I think he's been poorly campaigned (tried far too high) since winning his maiden at Goodwood.

I'll just cry if he goes for a silly amount since I want him so badly!!!

Mind you saying the bottom of the market has fallen out is the understatement of the year. I cannot tell you the amount of horses I've looked at who have little wrong with them who have sold literally for meat money. If I didn't have three already and had an empty yard (I wish!!) I could have filled a lorry at Donny last week (similar story at Ascot the week before) with horses all costing peanuts. A cursory look at the returns from Tatts yesterday told a similar story - there is no way that 6 months or so ago a 3yo that had won a flat race within the previous couple of months would go for £800 - that's just madness!

One horse I was especially taken with at Donny - and who went for £3k, around double what a load of other horses went for that had nothing wrong with them, unrace/untried youngsters all - was a horse from Darley. He is named Antipodean and is a huge Halling 2yo who looks tailor made for running in bumpers next year. He's been big and backward, just the type Darley aren't interested in, and didn't even go into full training, never having left their pre-training yard on the Hamilton Road. He was bought by P[aul?] Midgely and I think he's probably got himself a bargain there.

Feck me pink, what for??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! And who on earth by?!?!?!? Were the men with the white coats in attendance?!

Found it - couldn't find the results from today's sale earlier on their website.

What a mad, mad transaction. Anyone know who Stroud's bought it for? Henderson bound?

I thought there were strange prices full stop. Dandy Nicholls bought Abraham Lincoln for 40,000...he will more than pay his way...as will the other O'Brien horse Honoured Guest..3rd in a French Classic and a solid Group 3/2 horse at his best....their prices are great value compared to the money forked out for horses like Washington Irving and co who will just be hurdlers.

....and yesterday at least one of the lots sold was a 3yo who won a flat race within the last two months - went for £800!! How often does that happen??

Market's doing very strange things - the bottom end is going dirt, dirt, cheap yet the top end seems to be going the other way in being excessive in the extreme!

I thought there were strange prices full stop. Dandy Nicholls bought Abraham Lincoln for 40,000...he will more than pay his way...as will the other O'Brien horse Honoured Guest..3rd in a French Classic and a solid Group 3/2 horse at his best....their prices are great value compared to the money forked out for horses like Washington Irving and co who will just be hurdlers.

Abraham might want a long break before he goes racing again judging by his recent form. I think Washington will make a stayer at extreme distances. Ascot Gold cup perhaps...

Back