Horses on The Move

Cantoris

At the Start
Popular sprinter Maarek has left trainer David Nagle to join Barry Lalor and could have his first start for his new handler in Sunday's Paypal Supporting Irish Autism Action Phoenix Sprint Stakes at the Curragh.

The soft-ground lover landed the British Champions Sprint Stakes on Champions Day at Ascot last October and has won nine of his 30 races.
He was last seen finishing ninth of 18 in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot on fast ground and has moved to Lalor along with Beat The Bell, owned by the same Lisbunny Syndicate.
"We are very happy to have a horse of the quality of Maarek in the yard," said Lalor.
"Evanna McCutcheon, who has ridden out here in recent years, is now our assistant trainer. We value her input especially as she has a long and successful association with Maarek and other horses belonging to the Lisbunny Syndicate.
"We had an encouraging start last night at Cork with Beat The Bell a fast-finishing third in the apprentice handicap.
"Maarek is in the Phoenix Stakes at the Curragh on Sunday so we would welcome some rain during the week.
"Later in the month he holds engagements at Baden Baden, Deauville and Haydock.
"He is also entered in the Nunthorpe at York, but we would need to see plenty of rain for him to compete in a Group One over the five furlongs."Later on in the season his targets include two of the races that he won last year, the Renaissance Stakes at the Curragh and the Ascot Champions Sprint. He will also have an entry in the Group One Prix de l'Abbaye at Longchamp."

Thanks Cantoris - hadn't heard of Barry Lalor before this (unsure if he's related to Liz Lalor, or Dick Lalor for that matter).

Martin

Yeah I don't know Barry Lalor either. I think the McCutcheon family might have been involved in the syndicate that owned Maarek.

Thanks - McCutcheon had one run from Nagle's yard at Cork earlier in the week so interesting set-up, only other horses I know in her colours are the banks/XC horses she has (Lord Nellerie, Nhakira etc.)

Martin

Back