Horses out for the season

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
I thought we should have a thread for this as I`m sure they`ll be a few. Starting here unfortunately

Tony O'Hehir

CAPTAIN CEE BEE, winner of the Supreme Novices Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival in March and 12-1 favourite for the Arkle with Coral and William Hill, is unlikely to run this season.

The seven-year-old was due to go novice chasing but his trainer Eddie Harty revealed that the J P McManus-owner seven-year-old had met with a setback.

Harty said: "Unfortunately, Captain Cee Bee has had a setback and is probably going to miss all of this season. There really isn't anything else to say at this stage."

Captain Cee Bee won three of his four starts over hurdles last season before being pulled up at Aintree in April when he was reported to have burst a blood vessel. He beat Binocular, also owned by McManus, when winning at Cheltenham.

Every year, around this time, good Irish novice hurdlers who we look forward to a lot over fences just disappear...often never returning.

Where's Nicanor?

Aran Concerto is due out this month or next month with Nicanor back in December.

Black Harry is another back in training and due out in December.

Well Chief was hardly battle-hardened when beating Kicking King in the 2004 Arkle on just his second run over fences. His previous win being a tuppeny-ha'penny affair at Taunton in February.

Mr Mulligan only had 2 runs too. You might even argue that Looks Like Trouble had 2 as well, given that he threw the towel in, in King George so early you'd be hard pressed to count it, and one of his others runs was little more than an exercise assignment in a 3 runner affair against Bouchasson. 3 to 4 runs seems to be received wisdom though, and assuming that Denman goes to the Aon first he would be trying to acheive something which has hitherto not been done of late. I'm increasingly starting to like the look of Neptunes Collonges a bit (based on a hunch at this stage) but need to dig into him a bit more.

I've got a feeling there's another festival winner that defended off just one run or even a seasonal bow somewhere, but for the life of me can't remember who or even what race.

Well Chief was hardly battle-hardened when beating Kicking King in the 2004 Arkle on just his second run over fences. His previous win being a tuppeny-ha'penny affair at Taunton in February.

and fourth run that year. Mr Mulligan had two previous runs. I'm sure if someone dug enough they would find a Cheltenham winner with only one previous run , like what is proposed for Denman but how many good horses have we seen wrapped up in cotton wool for Cheltenham and not perform.....lots. I can't have him in the Gold Cup after only one run and I'm a fan.

Back