Horses out for the season

nor did Cyborgo.
Iris's Gift had 1 run.
as did Call Equiname
and Martha's Son
and Alderbrook (5 month break since his last flat run to his only hurdles start prior to winning).

Strikes me as the sort of stat that it pays not to be too dogmatic about.

Everyone will get to vote with their pocket.I Don't have the inclination to compile a list of horses that have been kept under wraps and have failed miserably, but here's one, sublimity.

Sheikh, you're the one who said that they don't win if they are not "battle-hardened". All the rest of us have done is to suggest that that isn't necessarily true.

Thanks Colin, I know what I said. I agree it's not necessarily true but I do believe that winning there off 1 or no previous runs is the exception.
I can't have Denman off one previous run.

Well I've gone off my idea of Neptunes anyway

Right handed - 1, 1, 1, 6, 1 = 4 from 5
Left handed - 3, 3, 8, F, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 1 = 4 from 12 which at face value looks doesn't look too good, as those 1's occurred in races he was entitled to get close or win. The first 5 figures however in the list relate to Cheltenham, and its difficult to think that a horse who hasn't made the first two in 5 previous attempts at the course, isn't trying to tell us something?

On the other side however, you might very well sign up to the idea that the 2007 renewal was a classy one featuring as it did two horses who would/ might have legitimate claims to be considered amongst the very best in history. In any other year Neptunes (off a less than ideal prep) might have been a winner?

To some extent I can't help wondering if Best Mate has half conned us into forgetting just how hard it is to defend a Gold Cup, and similarly, I'm struggling to think of many chasers who've regained the crown of championship race. Moscow Flyer's the only one that comes to mind, and that was arguably because he fell rather than any inate loss of ability (but let's not go there):)

There's enough statistical evidence to side against the front two at this very early stage, in addition to that which we have to regard as hunches at this stage. I'm inclined to think there's a few darker horses kicking around at fancy prices, but right now I can't identify them. Last years novices looked particularly weak (Tidal Bay apart) but I can't believe he's destined for a Gold Cup run without serious doubts appearing first in the Nicholls pair

On principal i don't see why it is not possible for a horse to have his first run of the season in late Jan early Feb and not being sound on GC Day. He is being aimed at Betfair Bowl this year as well so his conditioning shouldn't be an issue imo.

AL EILE has been ruled out for the season after suffering a setback at home.

Last seen out when winning the Aintree Hurdle for the third time in April, the eight-year-old also landed the Grade 1 December Festival Hurdle last Christmas.

“He unfortunately has a suspensory ligament problem and will miss the entire season as we'vedecided to give him the whole year off,” said trainer John Queally on Saturday.

“These things happen. We'll give him every chance of making a full recovery, but you never know with these injuries.”

MICHAEL BELL has been forced to ditch plans to give high-class Flat stayer Metaphoric, winner of a handicap and a Listed race from three runs on the level at Ascot in 2008, another jumping campaign this winter.

The Royal Ascot Racing Club's four-year-old won twice over hurdles in 2007-08 and finished fifth in the Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap at Cheltenham but has suffered a setback.
"Sadly he is not goingto go hurdling this year," his trainer said on Thursday. "He tweaked a leg at Ascot when he won his Listed race so we are not going to see him over jumps this season.

"He should be back in the latter half of the next Flat season. It is irritating as he was was on such a roll."

Edited...

Shame. Nick Williams did well with that horse. I didn't even know Nicholls had it.

Last edited:
You know it's amazing how many horses never come back at all, I came across Kim Fontaine the other day. He was a smashing horse, but has not seen a course since winning a novice hurdle at Thurles a few years ago. Mullin's mentioned in the Racing Post in a stable tour that he would be back along with a horse he had bought from France. Neither ever made to the racecourse. That got me thinking about other horses that were talked up and never made to a racecourse. Anyone remember the Ted Walsh talking horse - Monitoring? Bought as a Triumph hurdle horse and had a set back, was expected to run the following season. Never made it. There was whispers of champion hurdles with him.

Back