Horses to follow - Flat

Aragorn
They rushed Fleur de Cactus off to stud after her one win last year. They must rate her a bit as she has Redoute's Choice as her intended first mating. As a Montjeu half-sister to Fiorente's dam she must have a bit going for her..
With you on Liber Nauticus

My addition;-

Talent - R Becket: A New Approach filly who ran twice last year, winning once. Comes from a well-established family and a half-sister to the useful Skilful. If she can settle she may be useful at about 10f.

Not surprised, she's beautifully bred and must be worth a few quid but I thought they might want some black type. She looked good enough.

Cape Peron

Absolutely electrifying at Doncaster last night. Miles better than a handicapper looks out of the top draw.

Cape Peron

Absolutely electrifying at Doncaster last night. Miles better than a handicapper looks out of the top draw.

Yes, he looked terrific. Henry Candy was talking afterwards in terms of the Britannia. The handicapper will have his say - I'd predict a rise of 15lbs or so to the low 100s - but that wouldn't be sure to stop him.

Yes, he looked terrific. Henry Candy was talking afterwards in terms of the Britannia. The handicapper will have his say - I'd predict a rise of 15lbs or so to the low 100s - but that wouldn't be sure to stop him.

Cape Peron has been raised 13lbs to 100. Nobody who has seen his Doncaster performance will feel that winning off that mark is beyond him. If he runs in the Britannia he'll go off about 2/1.

I thought Rex Imperator ran very well at Donny yesterday on his first run for William Haggas. He travelled really well - as he often does - and took it up a furlong out, looking the likely winner but was caught by Diescentric. It was his first run over 7f and he clearly got the trip but he's only ever won over 6f and he clearly wouldn't be inconvenienced by dropping back a furlong. He'll go up two or three pounds for this but the Wokingham weights are already out and he'd run off 98 there, the same mark off which he impressively won a valuable big field handicap at Windsor last June when with Roger Charlton. He's 33/1 with Skybet and 25s is available with several firms.

Looking at a replay of the Dash and it might be worth keeping an eye on Long Awaited in upcoming sprint handicaps. He had very little room on the stands rail inside the last and Hughsie was very easy on him, finished 10th beaten 3.5 lengths.

Looking at a replay of the Dash and it might be worth keeping an eye on Long Awaited in upcoming sprint handicaps. He had very little room on the stands rail inside the last and Hughsie was very easy on him, finished 10th beaten 3.5 lengths.

Agreed .

Aragorn
They rushed Fleur de Cactus off to stud after her one win last year. They must rate her a bit as she has Redoute's Choice as her intended first mating. As a Montjeu half-sister to Fiorente's dam she must have a bit going for her..
With you on Liber Nauticus

My addition;-

Talent - R Becket: A New Approach filly who ran twice last year, winning once. Comes from a well-established family and a half-sister to the useful Skilful. If she can settle she may be useful at about 10f.

Great piece of advice Eleanora, but it does go to show how little trainers and jockeys really know about their horses, Mr Becket said on ATR today that the horse hadn't shown much at home and was being beaten by a 69 rated horse at home and Secret Gesture was by far the stable choice in the race. Hughes said the filly was skinny.

Yes agree SJ but Becket was only making the point she was a lazy worker. He wouldn't have run her unless he thought she'd give some kind of performance. Hughes was totally unimpressed there's no doubt. Bet he isn't now as she won well. Being such a sparely made filly will she put weight on with age or will she not stand up to a lot of racing.

New addition:-
Arab Spring - M Stoute: A Monsun colt and half brother to Glass Harmonium. Ran a nice race first time out at Newmarket and I'll expect him to follow up in a similar maiden before going on to better things.

I thought Rex Imperator ran very well at Donny yesterday on his first run for William Haggas. He travelled really well - as he often does - and took it up a furlong out, looking the likely winner but was caught by Diescentric. It was his first run over 7f and he clearly got the trip but he's only ever won over 6f and he clearly wouldn't be inconvenienced by dropping back a furlong. He'll go up two or three pounds for this but the Wokingham weights are already out and he'd run off 98 there, the same mark off which he impressively won a valuable big field handicap at Windsor last June when with Roger Charlton. He's 33/1 with Skybet and 25s is available with several firms.

The 33/1 has gone and the 25s is almost gone.

Just seen this. Agree completely Gus. 25's a maddive price when you consider what a target trainer Haggas is. Fact he went off at 28's a suggestion of how expected he was on Saturday. Could easily be among the first 4 in the betting on the day.

Have put up Arab Spring but realise now I'm offering nothing as the horse he lost to first time out (whom he'd beat next time) has franked the form somewhat. So only skinny prices I'm afraid (but hopefully good races) unlike the 11-1 and 20-1 of that other pick. Sorry folks.

This is the week to form a list of horses to follow.
I'm interested in Petrucci today. He's a half-brother of the last one I put up and is by Azamour and should stay 14f if needs be.
He runs in the Julian Wilson Maiden today for the first time and appears to have been passed-over by the stable jockey Moore which is probably saying something. But Stoute is putting up Fallon.

Don't expect him to win today but might have E-W possibilities but expect him to be a horse to follow.

Eleanora I can see why Moore passed up Petrucci, he's picked Horseshoe Bay who finished superbly FTO in the Autumn, held up in rear and only grabbed 4th but impressively passed the rest of the field in that race - marked it in my card and been waiting for him to come out again

Last edited:
You probably have the right one but I wanted to put upPetrucci as it might be easy to do so if he finishes3rd or 4th.
Good luck

Well he's entered for the Dante then stepping up for the Derby - with 100 others lol, but I've piled in on him today, but Petrucci taken note of thanks for that too :)

Rio Ronaldo (half brother to G Force) was very taking in a Windsor handicap on Monday. Had to be switched but still ran out an impressive winner. Hoping for no more than a 6lb hike.

Two Ballydoyle horses caught my eye over the weekend Kilimanjaro will win his next race and follow up his Dundalk victory -Hobart might struggle to win a maiden.

Two Ballydoyle horses caught my eye over the weekend Kilimanjaro will win his next race and follow up his Dundalk victory -Hobart might struggle to win a maiden.

Hobart a bad seventh at Killarney at 11/8 fav - has no tactical speed.

Hardstone is a horse that I have paid attention to since his 2yo campaign.For most of that time he looked useless,destined to be sent over hurdles.However his last 3 runs have produced 2 decent wins.It could just be that Johnny Murtagh has been incredibly patient with him -the Northumberland Plate was mentioned after tonight's win.

Back