Horses We Like

Grey

Senior Jockey
A thread for horses who have gained our affection. They don't have to be champions, just characters. I'll set the ball rolling.

Fruity O'Rooney is not a star on ratings, but he is a very gutsy and endearing horse, and has a fine record around Fontwell, where he has now won three times this season.

He is about half the size of his opposition, who sit in behind while he sets off in front. It usually looks as if he only has the lead on sufferance until the race begins in earnest, but he digs in going around the bends and holds them off.

He's an adorable little chap, isn't he? Whizzes round, incredibly neat and tidy at his fences, seems to be taking it all in on the way (I can imagine him whistling a cheery tune), and gives his 20-strong following with Heart of the South a great day out.

I also love KINKEEL for similar reasons - I've lost count of what chase he's up to now - he's heading to completing 100 races - but trainer Tony Carroll assures me he really loves to race, so he's out just about every week. He looks like a little teddy bear, sits well back, jumps neat and tidy like FRUITY, and then steadily trundles his way (usually making his jockey work his britches off) past the losers to take a place or a win.

They're both horses I'd love to have for their honest qualities.

I like Siegemaster. He might be too good for this thread, but I really like him.

As honest as you like.

Runs in top chases all round the year. Pops up the odd time, usually at a nice price.

Carries weight. Stays. Can quicken.

Cool Roxy. He was fun to watch around Fakenham.

Probably at the top of my list just now is Carole's Legacy. I love her to bits.

Sarsfield's Sire - ran there on Sunday at Gowran in the second division of the bumper finishing third. He's an absolute beaut!!!:<3: He's one of the few four legged horses I've kissed....

Last edited:
Gwanako - loved the way the tiny little chap popped round Aintree to win the Topham in 2008. Unfortunately, he's been lumbered with tons of weight in chases ever since and I'm not sure he's ever quite recoved from ending up in the ditch in front of the Chair the following November!

I've just run Race No.165 at Bath, and thanks to being poked up another horse's bum, only managed 4th from a good-sized and much younger field. I've won my connections nearly £630,000 over many, many years, with 16 wins, 25 seconds, and 24 thirds. I refuse to give up - I don't want my bus pass and if I conk out when racing, then, dear friends, that's the way - uh-huh, uh-huh - I like it. In fact, I insist on it!

Who am I? Haven't you guessed yet?

I am THE TATLING, of course!

Yes, another one for the list - although I know a good few members who'd have him on theirs, too. Adorable - still incredibly lovely (a fine head that wouldn't be out of place on a filly) and with legs that look more like 4 years old, not 14. The old boy ran so well, but his rider didn't find him the best spot - dithered about putting him onto the rail, decided agin it, and by then a few lengths were lost. Even so, he beat two-thirds of the field!

KINKEEL has now surpassed his owner's tilt for him to complete 100 NH races as he's started in 102 now - although technically, with a fall in his first ever race, a PtP, and three naughty REFs in his NH career, he hasn't completed - just started. There ought to be another thread for longest runs - Michael Chapman's ORPEN WIDE would be a hot contestant, as would a number of the old-timers still busy on the AW throughout the winters.

Last edited:
I love Snowy as well, used to see him regularly at Musselburgh. Another favourite of mine from my local track (Musselburgh) is Sandwith, a really game sprinter who likes the track and rarely finishes out of the places when he runs there.

Mine has to be Always Waining he takes my breath away when I see him jumping those National fences - memories of Dessie. Persian Punch on the flat.

Not listed in the RP as having ran in one yet (not that that means anything).

Has an entry in a conditionals race at Huntingdon on Monday.

Where do you start on your favourite not so good horses.

I'll add Zimbabwe (the Nigel Hawke trained one),Spider Boy & Woodlands Genpower to the NH list.

Yes, Kri, The Tatling is a grand old warrior, isn't he, especially as he spent so many seasons running at the highest level?

Must put in a mention for the 10-y-o Dvinsky if we're talking durability - he's run in 179 races so far in his career.

Absolutely, Ven - Tats was a top boy, but apparently just won't let go of the buzz he gets - Milton says he gets so upset when a box leaves without him, that he has to run him to keep him happy.

Retired in his teens and now happily with a friend of Trudi's - SHARP HAT. Adored the dear boy, another who really didn't want to stop enjoying the buzz.

Crumbs - is it really that many for DVINSKY! He seems to be out every week and he sure does put in the effort. SPIDER BOY (as Arkwright knows from my adoration of him at Plumpton - the horse, not Arkwright!) is a huge fave of mine, plus THE HARDY BOY. Apparently, THB, in spite of looking quite small, mild-mannered and teddyish, is a real little gnasher at home and anything but sweet!

Al Lidderdale's rangy chasing mare TAKE IT THERE is a great ole gal, too - she is so not a pretty picture, bless her, but oh-so genuine.

Grey - what a nice topic - looks like we all have our secret sweeties, which have nothing to do with betting coups!

Great Wall Of China - 19 starts on the flat, sod all winnings but earns his living as the school horse of Ballydoyle and plugs the younger apprentices around Dundalk when neccessary.

I suppose he wasnt far off top class so maybe doesnt quite qualify for his, but monkerhostin is a horse i loved. Truely game and genuine and a terrific long career. You would have to have owned him, especially with that late flourish

Back