Horses We Like

Yes, he was a smashing horse, Clive.

Good to see him at Cheltenham parading with the other rehabilitated racehorses. He and War Of Attrition (forgotten what a classy-looking horse that one was) looked extremely well and both got really excited as they went down the horsewalk, thinking they were going out to race again.

Wonder Of Wonders, winner of today's Cheshire Oaks, has a bit of style about her. She carries her head a bit high but she seems willing enough. It took her a while to find top gear today but when she did she looked really good. As soon as she passed the post and Ryan Moore dropped his hands her ears popped forward straight away.

I think Roddy's Quattrocento deserves to be added to this list. A big bull of a horse, he should have been named 4x4 rather than 400. He's not the quickest, and hasn't got the sharpest acceleration, but he can maintain a good strong gallop. It's his jumping, though, that really stands out. He gains lengths on most of his rivals at every fence and makes very few mistakes.

I'm off to find his race on ATR's site, having missed it this afternoon. I'll be looking for an equine Sherman tank, by the sound of it - shouldn't be difficult to spot!

Just watched both of RO's - two very watchable races, as all the horses looked even enough until the last half-mile, when both of RO's just went forwards as if by magic, especially Mike. Smooothly does it!

Last edited:
I think Roddy's Quattrocento deserves to be added to this list. A big bull of a horse, he should have been named 4x4 rather than 400. He's not the quickest, and hasn't got the sharpest acceleration, but he can maintain a good strong gallop. It's his jumping, though, that really stands out. He gains lengths on most of his rivals at every fence and makes very few mistakes.

One thing I've noticed over the years is how well Peter Bowen's chasers jump - Always Waining just takes my breath away the way he jumps those national fences and Roddy's own Ballyvesey is another but it's noticeable in all the stables chasers, past and present.

That she's an alert type, I'd say, who enjoyed her outing.

backed dancing rain in oaks, and was of course mortified when murtagh started to make the running. then i saw her flicking her ears, and pricking them all the time. indeed, alert when they do it after line, and normally means something left in the tank as well. also means they enjoy what they do and take it all in. I love seeing in it in a horse.

Chaninbar - for pure character, talent and cussedness. You really do risk your money backing him as he may or may not decline to race, but when he does he is fairly decent.

I know he disgraced himself twice at Aintree before running a humdinger at Sandown, but on the second day he spooked going into the tunnel under the stands. I was standing only a few yards away and it seemed a genuine fright, rather than naughtiness.

He started so badly and suddenly that his bridle got pulled off. He was out a minute or so before the rest of the field, but then got further upset as one of the others needed to be let past in a hurry as it was dancing all over the place.

He's naughty and a big chance to back, but I do like him.

I've just run Race No.165 at Bath, and thanks to being poked up another horse's bum, only managed 4th from a good-sized and much younger field. I've won my connections nearly £630,000 over many, many years, with 16 wins, 25 seconds, and 24 thirds. I refuse to give up - I don't want my bus pass and if I conk out when racing, then, dear friends, that's the way - uh-huh, uh-huh - I like it. In fact, I insist on it!

Who am I? Haven't you guessed yet?

I am THE TATLING, of course!

Yes, another one for the list - although I know a good few members who'd have him on theirs, too. Adorable - still incredibly lovely (a fine head that wouldn't be out of place on a filly) and with legs that look more like 4 years old, not 14. The old boy ran so well, but his rider didn't find him the best spot - dithered about putting him onto the rail, decided agin it, and by then a few lengths were lost. Even so, he beat two-thirds of the field!

Won again today. It's one thing winning a veterans steeplechase over 3m or something, but to win at 5f at his age is ridiculous!

Back