Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce_Savage
  • Start date Start date
A colt cannot be a gelding. A colt means they are still entire.

For example, the Classic races are restricted to 3yo Colts and Fillies, precisely because gelded horses are not permitted to race because the races are designed to showcase talent for breeders. This means a gelding is of little interest!!

In the context of that whole paragraph - kri is right , if you read the whole paragraph rather than fixing on just that one bit of the sentence it makes sense.(providing I've understood it right!) she was saying that a 3 year old male can be a colt - he would also be a stallion if he's at stud, or he can have his knackers off and be a gelding.

I think the rest of even just that particular reply quite clearly shows kri is well up on the differences between the various names....

Swedish Chef, that has to be the post of the year!

You have me in tears, excellent!

A horse is simply a species: a gelding is a male horse which has been castrated at any age. A stallion is a horse which is uncastrated at any age, 2, 3, or 23.

Not quite (forget about generic terminology)… a stallion is an entire horse or colt that is sent to stud. If not at stud they would be an entire horse or colt, unless gelded.

Likewise mares (as opposed to horses... the technical term rather than generic) are brood mares if used for breeding.

Last edited:
If we forget about generic - do you mean genetic? - terminology, we might as well race zebras as they are, after all, equine. Sorry, Steve, much as I admire your knowledge, we will have to disagree on that. 'Horse' is a species of the equine set, just as is a tapir. (Racing those would be fun!) Let's get past wrangling about the word 'horse' in that regard, because whatever its breed or gender, that's the species.

For the purpose of Bruce's topic, however, Rory asked if he meant 'horse' as in an ungelded male - seeing how he picked MABAIT, an entire 5 y.o., as his topic animal, it would appear that that is what he means. Although we await his affirmation on that...

I like 'a girlding'! :lol:

Last edited:
If we forget about generic - do you mean genetic? - terminology, we might as well race zebras as they are, after all, equine. Sorry, Steve, much as I admire your knowledge, we will have to disagree on that. 'Horse' is a species of the equine set, just as is a tapir. (Racing those would be fun!) Let's get past wrangling about the word 'horse' in that regard, because whatever its breed or gender, that's the species.

In generic terms everyone (I hope) understands what a horse is.

But in racing vernacular the narrower, more specific meaning, of horse is a five-year-old male thoroughbred (entire) that is not a gelding.

This is regrettably not something for you to agree or disagree with dear lady, it just is.:p

Last edited:
I know that! I've already gone over it! Jeez, Trudi hasn't misunderstood what I said, and she's a vitnery nurse! Every race card I've read for the past X number of years says 'horse' where it doesn't indicate 'colt' or 'gelding'! A horse is an entire male racehorse which has passed his fifth birthday and can be any age thereafter. Yes, that's in the context of racing; however, the term 'horse' - racing, showjumping, showing, polo - refers to the species. That just is, racing or not. I did make a mistake earlier on in not saying clearly that an ungelded male is called a colt from age two through four.

Rory asked whether Bruce was referring to the racing-specific definition (again, something I've already gone over) rather than the general term 'horse'.

Are we ever going to get on with the topic, or enter this up for Groundhog Day?

Steve: insert final word here: ________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
I love tapirs, Troods - I have a toy one I couldn't resist buying from a fab toys shop! It's only the size of a newborn tapir, but it is adorable. I've only ever seen them in the flesh, yonks ago, in Chicago Zoo. I just went crazy for their flexy noses! And their teeth are almost round-shaped, like very large versions of a teething baby's... what's not to adore? :<3::<3:

Last edited:
KINGS TRAIL

9-y-o
(17Feb02 b/br h)
Sunday Silence (USA) (10.4f)
Santa Fe Trail (JPN) (Northern Taste (CAN)

I love tapirs, Troods - I have a toy one I couldn't resist buying from a fab toys shop! It's only the size of a newborn tapir, but it is adorable. I've only ever seen them in the flesh, yonks ago, in Chicago Zoo. I just went crazy for their flexy noses! And their teeth are almost round-shaped, like very large versions of a teething baby's... what's not to adore? :<3::<3:

and they are STRIPEY !!! what more could someone want....

tapir.jpg

:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

Last edited:
All I can ascertain is that in those two races Bruce has selected the horses (they both still have their wedding tackle) with the highest official ratings.
Safe to say Kings Trail isn't deserving of his current mark and is lightly raced these days.

Can't be too many horses to have ran on the AWT at Lingers that have won nearly 1.5 million in win and place prize money though as he has.

Just like MABAIT himself, I'm afraid. There'd be no point in gelding him now, but there's equally no point in him having those nuts.

There once was a pirate called Bates,
Who was known to be one of the greats.
But he fell on his cutlass
And now he is nutless,
And perfectly useless on dates.

Well, maybe that oldie should be updated to something like:

There is a bay horse called Mubait
Who ran at Lingfield Park on this date,
He's still far from nutless
But feeble or gutless
And bar that, there's nothing to state.

Back