Hows Redhead?

• Thread starter Thread starter marbler
  • Start date Start date
Brilliant; thanks [the only one I could see was in America]. They sell it at a local Tescos. Being a whippet she needs a high protein food. She's almost out of her Collards so I'll switch to it. At least I'll feel as if I'm doing something. Also going to give her organic turmeric [and take it myself as well]. Both she and I will be on a very healthy diet from now on. Although, I'm not going to cut out everything she loves to eat [not cakes and stuff, I hasten to add, but cheese and, her favourite rice which is a grain but not too bad a grain from what I've read and she only has it sometimes]. Have found a food called 'Taste of the Wild' which is grain free and my local pet shop sells it, so I'm going to check that out.

Last edited:
Its not nice, I remember wanting to bury my head in the sand but at least you know what you are dealing with, good luck :)

Vet said 'low grade with good margins'. Couldn't tell me more than that but it doesn't sound too bad. I think my strike rate with healthy pets is as bad as my strike rate with house plants; in another life don't want to come back as either.

oh that's sounds quite positive then :)

All we do now with Rosie is check her all over once a week, she goes back to the cancer clinic every three months for an ultrasound to check her internal organs etc but that's it, just a case of being vigilant now, she had a cancerous lump removed in October which turned out to be a different cancer to the first one, that was removed with no further treatment needed, good luck

All fingers crossed for you, Moe. As Helen has said, that sounds quite positive.

Have either of you considered flax seed oil? Although you do have to be a bit more careful with dogs as some are prone to pancreatitis if they get too many oils in their diet.

Dougal used to have ground flaxseed on his meals for a few days a month, especially after he had had chemo, to help his system clear away the dead cancer cells. It provided him with fibre but the oil in the powder also had the added benefit of keeping his skin and what was left of his coat nice.

There is a diet regime called the Budwig Therapy developed by a German biochemist called Johanna Budwig. Her diet regime is being adapted for dogs and cats with a fair degree of success, though as I mentioned before, you have to be a bit more careful with dogs as they do not cope with fatty foods so well as cats do.

Hope that is of help (oh yes - it's also very good for human skin, too!).

My thoughts are with you, Moe. Coping with the news and adjusting to dealing with a beloved animal with such a diagnosis is very much an emotional rollercoaster.

Last edited:
Thanks redhead. Someone on my dog forum says that her dog had a lump for two years; had it removed when he was 12 and went on to live to be 15 [same cancer as Hatties]. What is good to hear about that is that it is easy for the vet to be mistaken [I have to admit that I was feeling a bit let down by them] and that leaving it for several months is not as awful as it could have been with something else. Problem will be if more has to be taken out in the future as whippets don't have much skin to play around with, but I'm pretty hopeful that it won't come to that and grateful that I made the decision to have it removed when I did. Have been looking up her pedigree and found photos of two of her litter mates and [this is really weird] someone's dog on the forum has just had a litter by Hatties brother. If I didn't have a couple of holidays planned this year [that was the main reason for wanting to have the lump removed] I'd be tempted to ask for one of the puppies as I've always had two dogs before. Keep looking at the photos, though, and her brother [Thomas] is a stunner. She has cod liver oil every day; I could substitute flax seed for that [or alternate] as I take it myself sometimes. I'll get some tomorrow. Thanks x

Back