I Spy a Future World Beater...

Bar the Bull

At the Start
.....but I am wrong.

Can any of you guys remember horses that you thought would go to the very top, but who let you down.
  • I thought Le Roi Miguel would prove to be better than Moscow Flyer and Azertyuiop.
  • I tought that Second Empire would win everything as a 3yo
  • I thought Bernstein would be the same
  • I thought Davenport Millenium would be a champion hurdler

Appalachee was the big noise of the season when I started following racing. I assumed things would resume the following spring where they left off.

Arazi won a Breeders Cup Juvenile in the fashion of the horse in the Marx Brothers film A Day At The Races and I fully expected him to continue in that vein the following season. Then I wrote him off so completely that I was caught out when he won a Gr2 race at the Arc meeting.

Hemingway... although I don't really feel let down, just sorry for him.

Septimus could have been even greater, felt very sorry for him.

Kalaman

I had a tank on him to win the 2003 St James Palace Stakes and backed in him 3 of the other 5 races he was sent off favourite in his 3yo and 4yo career. His only win in that period coming in a soft Group 2. A truly frustrating beast he looked a world beater in my eyes. He was renamed Oriental magic after being sold to race in Hong Kong.

Ansaab

I'm still speechless as to how this horse got beat on Saturday by a slow boat from Watchman's who was 16/1 having finished 4th in Dundalk twice.

:surrender:

Barry Geraghty told me Clopf would be as good as Moscow Flyer and I foolishly believed him.

I was pretty sure that Dunguib was the second coming

Davenport Millenium struck me as a machine at the time

The Real Article isn't as good as I imagined either

MEMBERSHIP - although I went mad and backed him e/w at Ascot when he won, and I pocketed a 20/1 return, when I thought he'd gone off at 12/1.

Gearoid... er, yes, probably, if not definitely...

(Awfully pleased with myself today - £5 e/w on RAMONA CHASE, £20 back, £10 profit. Monster bet!)

Sang Bleu - never seen a horse lose 10+ lengths at the first hurdle and near enough get knocked right off his feet and still win a race, was an amazing debut effort to win the best hurdle race for unraced horses in France (won previously by Master Minded, Azertyuiop, Tell No One and Exotic Dancer amongst others). Sadly he isn't half as good as I thought he'd be.

I'm sure I'll be able to add a few more soon enough

If Galileo was about then I suspect Back In Front might be making an appearance on this thread...

Back