I Was Wondering...

Dylan Thomas will make much more money than what Authorized is gonna make in the next three or four years as a stallion. There is no way either Authorized or Manduro are gonna cash the same amount of money in covering fees ( including SH season ) as the son of Danehill.
Things might still change, but in my opinion, Dthomas is worth more than the other two.

Originally posted by Luis Martin@Jun 29 2007, 11:54 AM
Dylan Thomas will make much more money than what Authorized is gonna make in the next three or four years as a stallion.
That may or may not be the case, no one can say with any degree of certainty. It depends on the variables already mentioned.

The question is who is the most valuable. If they all went up for auction tomorrow there is no doubt Authorized would go for a great deal more than the others mentioned.

Hurricane Run won an Arc, King George, and Tattersalls Group 1 and “only” stands for 30,000 euro. Am sure High Chaparral retired for a similar price and he was a dual Breeders Cup winner, Irish Champion winner and Derby winner. Authorized has “only” won a Derby and Racingpost Trophy and has yet to beat his elders or win a 1m2f race.

I would be confident Dylan Thomas (an Irish Derby, Irish Champion Stakes, winner) by Danehill, a half sister to Queen’s Logic and blessed with great bone and confirmation will stand for more than Authorized unless Authorized does something very special.

Dylan Thomas is bound to stand for much more at Coolmore than Authorized will at Darley. This is no reflection of their respective auction values now though.

Darley would be able to offer breeders a son of Montjeu (who stands at Coolmore for EUR125,000) at a significant discount to Montjeu. How much of a discount is anyone’s guess.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 29 2007, 01:17 PM
a half sister to Queen’s Logic
erm, half brother to QUEEN'S LOGIC I believe - gay stallions don't fetch diddly....

DT does have a more commercial pedigree but as to MANDURO - he may well be the stallion who will will surprise everyone

How can Authorised be “worth more” than Dylan Thomas if he (an assumption) is not going to earn more at stud?

Because Darley is stupid and they will underprice the horse in order to make him more comertial and cover 210 average mares instead of 150 good mares ?

Originally posted by Songsheet@Jun 29 2007, 11:34 AM

Personally, I would have liked for her to have proven herself on the racecourse - she's unraced - and her siblings are good but not great and I'm a tremendous believer that if I'm going to pay good money for a stallion, it's the dam line that I want to see as being exceptional, because stallions obviously cover huge numbers of mares but mares get limited opportunity to prove they are producers - so when they do (like HASILI, FALL ASPEN, LITTLE HUT etc) then their sons are particularly attractive as stallion prospects.

So, in theory, would a horse like Holy Roman Emperor, despite his not having raced at 3, be more attractive to a breeder than Authorized, because of the comparative quality of his dam line?

Can't speak for anyone else, spacegg but it would certainly influence my decision. I just think stallions with dams who have proven to be good producers are more likely to come up with the goods but there's nothing written in stone about it!

But I don't support Coolmore's decisin to retire HRE just because GW proved subfertile - that was a nonsense - all stallions should have raced for two seasons minimum imo.

I think Storm Cat still has the highest stud fee. AP Indy and Sadlers Wells would be up there. All are getting on a bit now, though.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 29 2007, 01:11 PM
How can Authorised be “worth more” than Dylan Thomas if he (an assumption) is not going to earn more at stud?
As Luis suggests different stud operations will price their stallions according to what they are comfortable with and what they think the market will bear.

We should not confuse this with what the horse is worth. The only true reflection of worth is what they would fetch on the open market. These values fluctuate continually.

Storm Cat has the highest advertised fee at $ 500,000.

AP Indy is $ 300,000. Giants Causeway was $ 300,000 but is now private. Kingmambo is also private.

I would imagine you could get to Giant's Causeway for quite a bit less than $300,000.

Going "private" does not always mean charging more.

If Authorized were to be retired now, I think around £30,000 would be about right, but if he were to win the Eclipse and the Arc, £50,000 might well be the figure.

Ouija Board is now sucessfully in foal to Kingmambo now. If she produces a quality colt the mind boggles as to how much it would sell for at auction.

Is she back home yet? I know she had to spend 80 odd days after being covered in the US but I can't temember when that was shrug::

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Jun 30 2007, 11:13 AM
Is she back home yet? I know she had to spend 80 odd days after being covered in the US but I can't temember when that was shrug::
She was covered on February 26 so she should have been back around the middle of May.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 30 2007, 04:54 PM
Ouija Board is now sucessfully in foal to Kingmambo now. If she produces a quality colt the mind boggles as to how much it would sell for at auction.
Take the money and run - Sunline's first foal, by Rock of Gibraltar Sun... I think it's called debut at Australia's equivalent of Catterick or Yarmouth and finished well down the field IIRC.

Surely if both were up for auction Dylan Thomas (if he was not before hand) would be worth more than Authorized now?

Ive got a foal by Daggers Drawn and 1 by Hunting Lion (last crop) at home and both look smashing. i think daggers drawn does well for a cheap sire.

I'm hoping to send The mare who went to Daggers Drawn to Act One next year, he looks a stallion going places.

The other mare is in foal to Fraam (cus i got it free)

Of the expensive stallions I rate Selkirk highly and think most selkirk fillies come out good. I really wanna send a good mare to Manduro one day i think he will be the dogs. I'm not a fan of sending mares to Derby winners and wouldn't as they have a tendancy not to throw up anything, or they havent in recent years.

Okay too early to judge HC but since 1990 (13 offsprings) I can only think of 2 good stallions in Sinndar and Galileo and I think thats because there with the best breeding operation in the world (imo)

i prefer Dylan Thomas to Authorized now as i think Dylan looks the more natural horse and deffo has more speed.

I think Authorized progeny will end up wanting a trip and the fact he was a bit jarred up after sandown suggests they wont want races too close together.

Mind u i suppose if you send a mare to Authorized u probabaly wont be planning to run it 15 times as a juvenile.

Back