I Was Wondering...

LOL Chris to that last remark

Dylan Thomas has now won over 2 million smackers, that's serious dosh and he isn't finished yet
I think he is prob now the most valuable horse IN TRAINING which was the question, as his stud value must have risen again after today

There was a very interesting article which I may have mentioned on here in the last issue of Owner And Trainer interviewing Mike De Kocke. He is adamant that horses are still developing at three and don't reach maturity til 4 or 5 - in fact he barely works his 2 yr olds let alone races them - a policy I wish were the norm. I think DT is one of those relatively late developers.

Given his sheer size its not surprising DT is only peaking as a 4 year old. Mind you he was relatively sharp as a 2 year old as well.

He's been top class since his 3yo debut. Notnowcato (and a few other Stoute horse of the past) would be a better example.

Falbrav was the best example you could want of what a mature, sound 5yo is capable of doing over the course of a season.

I still remember Dylan cutting up a horse i used to look after called Royal Power at Leopardstown. We would have won that day but he completely mullered us.

I would have never thought after that race, he would go on to do what he did.

Mind you i never expected Royal Power to win the German Guineas and give Mick Channon his first classic winner.

Looking back that was actually a very hot race at Leopardstown.

I was there that day Chris, remember it well, some extremely raised eyebrows that he kept it in the stewards' room.

I was there that day as well....left the race course thinking DT was a bit of a dog...and he gave me that impression when he ran next in England as well. They were at the back of my mind after his two recent runs.

He's possibly one of those horses who runs much better when his confidence is up. For some reason - the opposition maybe! - he was full of it today. On a different level, New Seeker is like that - he's had his season mullered not only by by being run on bad ground but more by being used by Coley to train his Derby hope! [I pray his current rest will get his head back together...]

Agreed, Falbrav was a great example of a late maturing horse, ditto Electrocutionist perhaps? There have been a few over the last few years

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jul 28 2007, 07:41 PM
I was there that day Chris, remember it well, some extremely raised eyebrows that he kept it in the stewards' room.
i can tell you there was some severely raised language after having a 50 euro ew treble on Hard Rock City 9/2 , Royal Power 11/2 and Attraction 4/1 on course.

Mind you i do remember sitting in the bar by the parade ring afterwards from about 6.30 to 2 am , after we got news we couldnt cross that evening on the ferry.

To say we got pissed was an understatement. The best part being that we got hammered with a load of lads and lasses from the place Bono lives, begins with K but cant remember, it was a sore head in the morning for the crossing home. It felt worse when i got back to west ilsley and found the betting slip in my back pocket, it took about 4 months to get my winnings and what was annoying the bloody cheque was in euro's which made it bloody hassle to bank.

Thats the place

it all looked like a rough coucil estate until u got up the hill.

they said soem opther singer lived there but was always too pissed to remember who.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jul 28 2007, 08:41 PM
The Stewards got it right on the day though Gareth :D

An Irish Derby winner, dual Irish Champion Stakes winner, King George winner, and now an Arc winner by Danehill.....Coolmore can charge what they like now can't they?

Sure can, and it's such a good result really for keeping horses in training, which is good news for those of us who love to see top horses tested over a period of years, not months

Dylan Thomas is the last of the Danehills according to AOB who echoed Mr Tabor when stating it is unlikely they will risk anything happening to him on a racetrack in the future.

Back