Idea / Discussion ?

Songsheet

At the Start
There seems to be a rather large grey area on here with regards to what is considered to be spamming and what isn't - especially with regards to owning/buying horses etc and I was wondering if Col might now consider having a separate section for anyone wanting to advertise either shares for sale in racing prospects or, as in my case, being able to point out I've a homebred coming up for sale - all without fear of upsetting anyone because, of course, if they aren't interested they would be able to avoid that section.

My view would be if it was generally acceptable (a poll to determine?), then active membership on TH of, say, at least one year's minimum with a minimum number of posts (maybe 20?) from the member within the time frame would be required.

Then anyone wanting to follow the progress of the neds in question would be able to do so very easily.

Just a thought but it would sort of neaten up the Forum Horse Connections quite simply and quite a few of us do, after all, actively work in the industry, so it can be very difficult at times not to sound like we're spamming!!

I wouldn't be too upset by this idea... on the other hand we do have one or two sensitive souls on here.

Plenty of members are trying to flog a dead horse on a few threads, should they be moved too?

Songsheet, I'm sorry for any part I had in causing you to worry about being accused of spamming. I actually think some of the sensitivity to spamming on here is extreme at times and my mock accusation of you was an obviously unsuccessful attempt to illustrate that point.

I agree that we don't want people coming on here purely in order to sell something, but when a person's commercial activity is tied up in racing it's natural that they want to talk at times about their experiences and it's enriching for the rest of us to hear about them. Likewise, I don't see much wrong with people putting links to other websites as part of their signatures on here.

I didn't think the reference to a share or two being available in KIKOS, as an example, was spamming. When the members are well known, where's the harm in them mentioning that a promising horse has room for one or two more owners? It's not as if they're only going to buy an animal if people come in on it - they already have the horse, and I think it's nice if we know if there are shares available. Nobody is forced to buy, any more than anyone is forced to bet on the basis of someone encouraging punting on a certain nag. If we took it too seriously, nobody could ever say which bookie offered the best price on a certain entry, lest it look as if they were touts.

I'm with Krizon on this.

It's nice to be given the heads-up on available shares in a horse. Wouldn't call that spamming.

As many of you are working in the industry in one way or another, it's always interesting to know what actually goes on in all its different aspects.

Honestly, Grey, I wasn't aiming this at anyone!! I just thought that as there are at least one or two serious racing syndicate managers on here (and I have truly no idea if they charge / don't charge management fees - and it bothers me not either way!) and the forum has sort of been involved in a horse many moons ago, that it would just be easier if there was a section which was openly commercial and not under the general racing discussion section, which I personally feel may be inappropriate.

I personally also don't have any hassle with someone like Cantoris or Flame (or any one else promoting a partership, suchas IanR for example) being able to say they have bought, are going to buy, whatever - a Tb for this or that particular job and is anyone interested ? Similarly, one or two of us on here may have a yearling unsold for some reason which again might fit someone's brief - even via a forum member who knows someone who knows someone etc etc. By placing an 'ad' in a different section (open to anyone surfing perhaps ?), then traffic may increase to the site proper. We could always pay Col a fee of some sort if any member profited from a direct enquiry. It would honour-based, of course but I wouldn't have thought that to be an issue.

I do believe that you should have been an active member of the forum for a set period of time before you can advertise, though - others may well disagree!

It would just avoid any semblance of doubt about whether or not the poster was spamming.

...never join a partnership (unless you absolutely must)... there are as many different opinions as there are members... and of course everyone else will be wrong.;)

It's not as if they're only going to buy an animal if people come in on it - they already have the horse, and I think it's nice if we know if there are shares available.

:whistle:

I'm grateful to the powers that be for letting me put something up. That's how Grey joined in. I notice on betfair that Derbeyshire Racing get a lot of air time. I tried it on Betfair once and just about escaped with my life. Far more civilised here!

I think common sense is the way to go - take each case individually...if Songsheet, Grey, Cantoris etc put anything up I don't see anyone having an issue. It is like everything else - no need to react to an issue based on one or two silly comments from others when the vast majority couldnt care less! Less sections on this place the better.

Cracking idea. I'd be interested in a share in something on the flat despite it being about as sound investment as a Goldman Sachs sub-prime sold mortgage.

:) thats ok then GS - you can come in with my horse's next foal ;)

Im with Sheik - I'm a nosey bugger,and I filter out what Im interested in and what I think is a load of twaddle :)

as in my case, being able to point out I've a homebred coming up for sale - all without fear of upsetting anyone because, of course, if they aren't interested they would be able to avoid that section.

Two or three of our current members are in foal themselves apparently - perhaps we could amalgamate your breeding news with theirs?

Cracking idea. I'd be interested in a share in something on the flat despite it being about as sound investment as a Goldman Sachs sub-prime sold mortgage.

Once you've got it out of your system you'll realise that it's better to stake a couple of grand on something you actually fancy, rather than pour it down a bottomless pit on something you get sentimentally attached to... I'm glad I did it but wouldn't do it again unless I had totally written off the full budget from the get go.

Once you've got it out of your system you'll realise that it's better to stake a couple of grand on something you actually fancy, rather than pour it down a bottomless pit on something you get sentimentally attached to... I'm glad I did it but wouldn't do it again unless I had totally written off the full budget from the get go.

Totally agree actually - when I think of the money I wasted breeding Po, and what I could have bought if instead of breeding him I saved it all (not including the insurance money for all his injuries!!!) I could have gone to the sales and bought something that at least was keen to do the job....

Idiot that I am though,cant wait to go through the cash sapping,grey hair inducing experience all over again !!! :lol:

I'd say the latter was a better investment...

Anyone interested in some of the DIAMOND GREEN / SONGSHEET then ? :p Or for next year, a very nice ISHIGURU ex PETROVNA filly !

Just heard that FAREER is fine, probably be entered up in a Listed at Haydock over 7f and has also been entered up in further Grp 1s, so who knows...... ;)

Idiot that I am though,cant wait to go through the cash sapping,grey hair inducing experience all over again !!! :lol:

...it can get you like that can't it. A budget of about 50 grand with buy you a horse and hopefully keep it in training for a couple of seasons. You may be able to do it a bit cheaper but that's probably a false economy. Then unless you sell it you have to sort out what happens to it when it has finished its racing career.

On balance I'd rather have it all on SNA (for the Derby if not the Guineas).

Very good advice, but I am never listening. Been there, done that and loved every minute of it. Great fun having a big bet (if you can afford it) on something that wins, but nothing compares to your own horse.

If I ever have the funds again would be very nice to know that I could get in touch with someone on here who has something to share, lease or sell. Sounds like a grand idea! :)

Back