In Memoriam (Racing People)

Way too early. Great memories especially the 1994 Gold Cup win aboard The Fellow. As always under hands and heels at the insistence of the owner. No doubt in my mind he’d otherwise have won in 1992 also when Maguire was like a dervish on Cool Ground and probably also 1991

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad news from Barbados - Emma (Ledbetter) McManus, wife of John, DIL of JP, died suddenly, leaving three children under nine Mammyless.

Just over an hour after her second winner of the day at Plumpton Zoe Davison has passed away in hospital.

Trainer Zoe Davison passed away following a long battle against cancer on Sunday, shortly after a double for the stable at Plumpton.

Brown Bullet and Mr Jack both won for Davison, 60, who was diagnosed with cancer four and a half years ago.

Paying tribute, stable jockey Page Fuller said: "She was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. She was such a great support to me and was crucial in helping me get going as a professional.

"She was so kind and generous, and you couldn't have written it today with the team having a double at Plumpton, her local track. It's very sad but at least she's at peace.

"The team have done so well to keep the show on the road and Zoe's strength has rubbed off on them. Hopefully they can keep it going in her memory. I'm so proud to be part of such a special team. Everybody has worked so hard."

Close friend Simon Clare said: "I saw her on Wednesday and she was so positive even then. She was an inspiration."

Khalid Abdullah. What a great loss to the sport this will be. I’m still trying to process the news to be honest.

Absolute huge, huge loss to the sport. Possibly my favourite owner of all time and trainers like Stoute and especially the late Sir Cecil owe him plenty

RIP to a true legend of the sport

Absolute huge, huge loss to the sport. Possibly my favourite owner of all time and trainers like Stoute and especially the late Sir Cecil owe him plenty

Echo this sentiment and liked that his horses tended to race without fear of what defeat might do to their value.

Hopefully there is a like-minded next of kin to carry on his colours and spirit of competition.

RIP to a true legend of the sport
Echo these sentiments, his horses guaranteed triers, too, racing wil miss him.

That's sad news. A few years ago shared a vet with one of his studs and vet told me he was seriously winding down his number of mares as none of his children wanted to carry on with the operation. Huge loss to racing and breeding.

I remember at the Irish 2000 Gns at The Curragh 1989.
Danehill was favourite after his Newmarket third and Prince Abdullah had three other entries.
The old saddling area was just beyond the parade ring and as I stood watching Danehill being saddled I realised Prince Abdulla was standing beside me.
One of his managers approached him saying he could enter the saddling area to be closer to his horse.
The Prince politely replied how he was quite happy where he was.
Even the fact his name was listed simply K Abdullah with no titles or other distinguishing features said it all.
What a list of champions he has entertained us with; Known Fact to Siskin and everything in between.
Rest In Peace

Seeing a horse in those pink and green silks always subconsiously upped my rating/bet assesment by about 5Lbs. There was an integrity and hope about them somehow. Whatever about his million Group wins I always most loved a bet on Stoute trained Juddmonte improver in those coulours in a premier handicap off about 98 on a sunny Saturday afternoon in high summer.

Last edited:
RIP Paul. One of the more flamboyant larger than life characters. He knew how to live a life that's for sure.

RIP Paul Haigh.

Also buried today was former flat jockey and trainer Peadar Matthews.
A classic winning jockey in the 1960s, he most famously picked up a ride for Vincent O'Brien on Friday May 13th 1977 on the outsider of three Ballydoyle runners, indeed the outsider of an eight horse field.
The race was the Royal Whip Stakes , the horse Alleged.
He set off in front and never saw another horse, Lester riding runner up Valinsky , the favourite.
This was a night when Lady Capulet won the Irish 1000 Gns on debut , Lester riding Lady Mere in the Sangster colours instead and later being defeated on Marinsky at 1/7.
When Alleged won his second Royal Whip in 1978, he was more of a household name and started at 1/7.
Lester rode him this night as Peadar watched on, in full knowledge that his win the previous year was no Friday 13th fluke .
Rest In Peace Peadar.

Back