In Memoriam (Racing People)

Really sad to hear the news of Peter Beaumont's passing. Like Tiggers, Jodami was a real favourite of mine, not long after I started watching racing.

Michael Curran, the lad who looked after Golden Horn amongst others was sadly found dead at his house this week. Desperately sad.

Just saw it on twitter, tragic news, thoughts with his friends and family, RIP Liam

Last edited:
Aintree Chairman, Rose Patterson, wife of MP Owen Patterson has also died aged 63. She was found by her husband.

Stan Mellor. Jockey, trainer and just a wonderful man. Complete gentleman whenever I met him.

Thanks,Jinny
Saw him ride at Donny and Nottingham back in the day.
IIRC, he also held the record for number of Jump winners for quite a while.
RIP Stan.

Stan rated his Galway Plate win on Ross Sea, referred to by Art on another thread as one of his best rides.
Landed in Galway the night before trainer Phonsie O'Brien asked Stan what he wanted to drink. "Beer please "came the reply. "Beer is boy's drink; have a man's drink !" replied Phonsie, handing him a large whiskey.
Needless to mention the following day poor Stan was the worse for wear. Not having ridden the track before he stuck to the inside and let the horse do the racing !
Rest In Peace.

Coral Pritchard-Gordon, long term partner to Sir Michael Stoute has died aged 73. V sad to read. I never met her but she always came across as a lovely lady and played a huge supporting role in his life and career.

Rose Loxton who was a major part of the success at Ditcheat has lost her battle with cancer. A truly lovely and massively talented lady, she trained a few point to pointers and hunter chasers in her spare time including most recently Caid du Berlais. I had interviewed her a few times and she was such a generous person to talk to. She will be hugely missed by her many, many friends and colleagues and the Pointing world has lost one of its brightest stars.

Back