In Memoriam (Racing People)

John J O' Connor (20),a neighbour's child who rode 6 p2p winners last season and unlucky not to have winners this season.
Grew up 3 miles from Hedgehunter's Summer residence and from a racing mad family.
Always had a smile and "fly or die " was his motto. Sadly killed in motor accident yesterday.
Jockeys at Leopardstown riding in black armbands in his memory.
Puts Many Clouds demise in perspective for a lot of us.
A top top man. R.I.P.

For regular visitors to Irish racecourses, particularly Leopardstown, (or the PP betting office in Cornelscourt!) Nick Coen will be familiar in face if not in name. Nick's favourite position was outside the weigh room where he was ususaly seen in conversation with a trainer, jockey or owner.

There was a tweet today from his employer, Pigsback.com, that he has sadly passed away. RIP. This photo was used on social media, so I presume I am not intruding in any private family grief by reproducing it here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nick.jpg
    nick.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.
Only spoke to him for the first time at Christmas, admiring his wheels.
He told it was Free Eagle and how INS sponsored him for a Social Media campaign.
Loved his racing and was a bright guy.
Rest in Peace Nick.

For regular visitors to Irish racecourses, particularly Leopardstown, (or the PP betting office in Cornelscourt!) Nick Coen will be familiar in face if not in name. Nick's favourite position was outside the weigh room where he was ususaly seen in conversation with a trainer, jockey or owner.

There was a tweet today from his employer, Pigsback.com, that he has sadly passed away. RIP. This photo was used on social media, so I presume I am not intruding in any private family grief by reproducing it here.

attachment.php

There was a minute's silence for Nick Coen this afternoon at Leopardstown.

Tony Geake, a great friend of Graham Roach and myself, and owner of Champion Hurdle winner Beech Rd dies at 80. His son Jonathan still trains with having settled with Toby Balding. I remember after Beech Rds win finding Tony on his lonesome in a bar, and together we celebrated properly.

One of our daughters used to live in the road in St Austell in Cornwall that the horse was named after, my memory was he owned a garage there.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of our daughters used to live in Beech Road, St Austell which was the road the horse was named after, my memory is that Tony Geake owned a garage there called Beech Road Motors.

Sad news indeed. A very good trainer and one of racing's more likeable characters, his frequent and successful visits to Ireland were always welcome.

I am very shocked to hear this, 61 is no age. I have very fond memories of Dandy and his association with Soba, and what a great character he was. He epitomised what racing is about with his celebrations when winning as a trainer, real joy and enthusiasm. Thoughts have to be with his family. A very sad loss.

Last edited:
Landed some touches with his runners was different class despite the snobbery that surrounds most of the racing fraternity,would have him over anyone training sprinters and getting them to run to their best rest in peace fella..

Back