In Memoriam (Racing People)

Davy Hyland -Irish on course bookmaker-afraid of no one -took telephone number sized bets.He brought colour to the betting ring.Was always polite to me the few times I dealt with him.

Jonathan Irwin.
Son of a theatrical family he was reared by an Eastern European nanny addicted to gambling whose only English words were Gordon Richards.
When his parents returned home from tour they were amazed that their child's bank balance was always higher than expected !
Jonathan worked first with BBA looking after stallion nominations, then he was the face of Goff's when it moved to it's Kill premises.
Later he managed Phoenix Park racecourse when Sangster/Magnier /O'Brien bought it after the Gallagher collapse.
His wife started LilyO'Brien chocolates to fund the "Jack and Jill " foundation after the death of their son Jack.
I spoke to him once at a Breeder's seminar in Navan early 1989 when a student of Equine Studies; he was a kind man.
May he Rest In Peace

Agreed Eddie. He and Mary Ann O'Brien (wife) created a tangible and continuing positive diffrence to Irish society, albeit after their own traumatic experiences. I think the saddest words in the English language are 'palliative care for children.'

Thanks for that. Had no idea of the origin of Lily O’Brien chocolates or they were funding such a cause. I often buy them as they are delicious and now have an even better reason!

Johnny Tolton (101)
Limerick born groom of 1949 Derby winner Nimbus.
Bred by William Hill (the good Black and Tan), after his 2000 Gns win that year William urged his betting manager to lay Nimbus for the Derby as he was not not bred to stay the Derby trip.
Nimbus held on in a 3 horse photo finish ( first photo finish to decide Derby winner) by a head from Amour Drake with 2000Gns runner up Swallow Tail a head behind.
The result cost Wm Hill £250,000 but he was delighted to breed a Derby winner.
Johnny received a pair of glass tumblers 73 years after the triumph.
May he Rest In Peace.

Yeah this is the saddest news. I heard earlier this afternoon but was waiting for the official statement to be made by the IJF.

Keagan was a really lovely guy who I saw regularly down here in the West Country. Like many in the region he lived for his Pointing and when he rode his first winner at Dunsmore last season, he got the biggest reception from all his many friends and family down here. He then went on to record a treble over Easter and thoroughly deserved his success having ridden some pretty dodgy horses earlier in his career. He was a very popular guy who originally worked for Jeremy Scott and then Paul Nicholls (the yard are going to be in a very difficult place right now) and had been shortlisted for the Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards 2024.

Everyone I have spoken to is numb. We all know this sport has risks but when something like this happens especially to a young guy of 25, it hits very hard. There are so many safety factors that have been brought in over the last few years but tragedies still happen. RIP Keagan...you really will be missed.

Maureen Mullins (nee Doran)
A fixture in Irish Racing since she married Paddy over 70 years ago.
She, along with all her children rode winners trained by Paddy, some record.
As an Equine Studies student she hosted our class on a day visit to Red Mills factory and the to Doninga, where afternoon tea was served to all in the parlour, proper hosting.
The walls were filled with photos of the family members' success.
35 years later I still remember that evening in her and Paddy's company .
The meeting Lecky Watson Day is covered elsewhere but she retained that easy grace throughout her life.
Even our Cheltenham Taxi Driver liked dealing with her, she made people feel at ease and enjoyed the little things, which become the big things when we realise it.
She even had time for the guy who told her tell WPM to stop trying to make a jockey of David Casey before he broke the country !
May She Rest In Peace.

Trainer Mark Bradstock has died aged 66. He’s looked very unwell for a while when I’ve seen him Pointing.

Paddy Woods (93).
A lifetime spent with Tom Dreaper he was Arkle's work rider while the horse raced, even winning on him once over hurdles at Gowran Park.
Ted Walsh told the story how Paddy accompanied Arkle to Sandown when he won the Gallagher Chase in 1965.
Exercising the horse down the back straight ,they overtook the train travelling alongside ,allowing Paddy to quip how well the horse was , comparatively speaking !
Trained later, winning a Thyestes Chase with Kintai, who defeated Brown Lad in 1978.
His son Franny was a successful jockey emulating his father's Irish Grand National successes.
May he Rest In Peace.

An admission; When I see a headline announcing the death of an Irish racing person, particularly one of vintage years, I don't read the text. Instead I come on to the site knowing I'll find a more interesting tribute from Eddie.

An admission; When I see a headline announcing the death of an Irish racing person, particularly one of vintage years, I don't read the text. Instead I come on to the site knowing I'll find a more interesting tribute from Eddie.

I second that.

Back