In Memoriam (Racing People)

Virginia Kraft-Payson (92)
Owner of St Jovite, Irish Derby winner 1992.
One of the few people to put J S Bolger in his place and the only one to get him into a bar to celebrate a big race win.
Owned and managed her own boxing team as well apparently so was a tough cookie.
With a name like that she was neither short a bob nor a husband, she is survived by her fourth.
May she Rest In Peace.

( Reminds me of the old Maureen Potter gag;
" Her name was Virginia ;
they called her Virgin for short,
But not for long ! ")

Last edited:
Milton Bradley has died aged 88. He was probably the first trainer I ever met as I lived in the next door village to him and regularly saw his string on my exercise route around the lanes. My late dad was also vet for him (although his partner did more of the horse work) so we knew the family well. I never rode out there for him...actually because when I was younger his horses were berludy dangerous including a couple who jumped onto the railway line! And most of his tack was cobbled together with baler twine!

His fortunes seemed to take an upturn...there were rumours he’d had a win on the lottery (or perhaps one of his owners had) as there was a sudden injection of money into the yard. And of course he bought The Tatling who did brilliantly for him. Jason Weaver used to ride out there prior to coming to Newmarket and getting a job for Cumani.

Burt Bacharah who owned some very good horses in the US including Soul of the Matter and Afternoon Deelites.

Jim Lewis owner of Best Mate and Edredon Bleu amongst others at age 88. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently trainer Dave Morris has passed away. No other details bar seeing it on Facebook. Lovely guy too..very sad.

Paul Barber, Owner of Denman, See More Business and Clan des Obeaux amongst others, has died aged 80. Paul Nicholls openly credits him with being the reason behind his success and said he was like a second father to him.

Paul Barber, Owner of Denman, See More Business and Clan des Obeaux amongst others, has died aged 80. Paul Nicholls openly credits him with being the reason behind his success and said he was like a second father to him.

A sad loss. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad news about Paul Barber. A mainstay of Jumps owners pretty-much since I first started following racing. RIP.

I'm not certain but I've just seen on my local obituary that a Martin Tate has died aged 99 and it says donations to the injured jockey fund.

'He had the patience of Stonehenge with horses' - popular Cheltenham Festival gamble trainer Martin Tate dies aged 99

Notable horses he trained included 1978 Mackeson Gold Cup winner Bawnogues, 1985 Aintree Hurdle hero Bajan Sunshine and Flash Imp, who was third in the 1976 Champion Hurdle behind Night Nurse.

(Taken from RP 28 Jun)

Last edited:
Tommy Kinane (90)
Always associated with Monksfield Tommy was one of a family of 13 who along with brothers Danny and Christy became Jump jockeys and trainers.
He rode well into his 46th year , having a trainers licence at that stage also.
Well used to the rough and tumble of racing he once removed the bridle from an opponent's horse when the money was down on his fellow.
Tom Hogan tells me he still has a mark on his back from Tommy's whip after getting in his way in a race once.
Rest In Peace.

Helen McDonogh (82)
Wife of Dessie of Monksfield fame and mother of Declan "The Enforcer " Helen was some jockey herself, winning nearly 120 p2ps.
Won 34 on Just William, an Irish record for p2p wins by a horse at a time when four wins was the maximum allowed per season.
Rode Monksfield to his final win at Down Royal.
May she Rest In Peace.

Cody Dorman (17)
Cody's Wish, dual Breeders Cup winner was named after this young lad, who suffered from a rare condition.
He died on his way home from the races after getting some medical emergency.
Rest In Peace.

Cody Dorman (17)
Cody's Wish, dual Breeders Cup winner was named after this young lad, who suffered from a rare condition.
He died on his way home from the races after getting some medical emergency.
Rest In Peace.

OMG. That really has got me tearing up.

That’s desperately sad news. I thought watching him he looked really out of it compared to last year when he seemed aware of the situation. But awful for the family to have hit such a high and then be faced with that so quickly.

Back