In-running traders

krizon

At the Start
Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember which thread contained references to the use of laptops on racecourses, which meandered onto in-running trade, and then a question about whether in-running traders paid to use racecourse facilities, blah, blah. I know I promised someone I'd get back to them about those at Lingfield, anyway! There are only one or two most meetings, they have a specific place to use their laptops (it can't be anywhere, like in the brasserie or a bar, for example) and they pay £75 per meeting to do so.

(Bookies pay five times the amount of the day's entrance fee, by comparison, split between an entrance fee and a pitch fee - today the fees made a total of £85.)

Hope that helps whoever wanted to know!

Alternatively you could go to a sports exchange with SIS Turf TV feeds and a high speed internet connection, watch all meetings and pay £40 for the privilege.

To be honest I don't know - I guess the turf tv and SIS pictures may have a very small delay and also at the course you get a view of them going down etc... Don't know but I would go to an exchange... I imagine they are all using API software which these places have already...

Ah, so. Not an area I know anything about, tbh, Aragorn, so anything about it's news to me! I suppose they do have the advantage of nipping out to paddock-watch beforehand if they want to, but o/w I can't think of any reason to pay more, either.

If they are paying £75 for a room which is shared amongst 3 or 4 people then it makes sense otherwise it is an expensive way of doing it.

I bet they're doing alright though laying horses who fall before the other punters have chance to cancel their orders.... You could make plenty just by doing that...

There's no such thing as free money - just spoke to a in-running trader who was at Uttoxeter today - he laid 5-2 the last winner when he thought it had run out (thanks to Derek Thompson's commentary) and his mate laid £200 at 16-1.

You'd be surprised what they do - last year I was sat next to a guy who had £4000 at 1.01 on Brazilian Brush in a photo finish at Windsor - horse wasn't even involved in the photo - Mike Cattermole had called it wrong, it was Make My Dream.

Bloody hell. Catttermole has form in this regard. In December 2007 at Newbury he caused similar havoc in a race won by Khyber Kim.

No, they pay £75 each, not per room.

God, am I ever sick to death of race callers everywhere - Irish and British alike - bawling out that a horse has fallen, when it quite clearly hasn't. They've unseated, but they haven't even put their noses on the ground when there's a squeal of "And he's down! The favourite's down!" For ferk's sake - get it RIGHT. It's not too much to do as part of your paid job, surely, to tell the diff between a prop or peck, a slide or a sprawl, where the horse isn't 'down' at all, and an 'F' won't be appearing on his form.

I'm sorry but if you're relying on commentators not to make mistakes in order to make a living then you're asking for a hiding.

Might as well rely on jockeys! :whistle:

I don't rely on commentators to make my living, Gamla - I just assume that as they're paid professionals, they can do their job. The amount of miscalls is pretty dreadful - fallen horses miscalled or just plain missed, falls called when they don't happen, etc., etc. The litany of buggered-up calls seems endless these days. We can't even blame it on 'too much racing' as there are loads of callers to spread the racing around.

By your argument, nobody should rely on callers, jockeys, or trainers to make a living out of betting on racing. But clearly some people do, and I don't mean the bookies, who'll win the day whatever the odd clear-out is.

I don't rely on commentators to make my living, Gamla - I just assume that as they're paid professionals, they can do their job. The amount of miscalls is pretty dreadful - fallen horses miscalled or just plain missed, falls called when they don't happen, etc., etc. The litany of buggered-up calls seems endless these days. We can't even blame it on 'too much racing' as there are loads of callers to spread the racing around.

By your argument, nobody should rely on callers, jockeys, or trainers to make a living out of betting on racing. But clearly some people do, and I don't mean the bookies, who'll win the day whatever the odd clear-out is.

I agree completely Kri and I wasn't directing my comments at you, I just think it's incredibly slapdash if a professional trader is relying on callers.

If they are paying £75 for a room which is shared amongst 3 or 4 people then it makes sense otherwise it is an expensive way of doing it.

I bet they're doing alright though laying horses who fall before the other punters have chance to cancel their orders.... You could make plenty just by doing that...

Why don't you try it.I tried it once -the result was what should have been a decent winning day became a losing day.The experience was worthwhile because I know its not for me.

What would the delay be on the racecourse feed then? Virtually the same as SIS/TurfTV (if they are indeed the same!)? If not, would it be enough of an advantage to justify being on-course?

I think SIS/Turf TV is a second or two behind Racetech's on course feed?

Someone like Shadz might know the answer to this though.

It would appear so, I know of one guy who travels to a different track every day to do in running.

The original enquiry was from me, so thanks for the answer Krizon.

When you say Turf TV is quicker than SIS, how do you guage it, the level of delay between live and the betting shop pics? Just curious as they of course have different tracks so it's more difficult to judge than say C4 & SIS / Turf TV.

Back