Inglis Drever put to sleep RIP

Ardross

Senior Jockey
The Rp reports he was put to sleep this morning after failing to recover from a serious bout of colic .

RIP Inglis - you deserved a much longer retirement - thanks for the memories of all those World Hurdles especially the last - roof raising defeat of Kasbah Bliss

Here's to one of the gamest horses that ever lived !

Never forget him coming off the bridle at half way at Cheltenham before storming up that hill and the emotion and affection of his connections, especially the lass.

Very sad news indeed. I was always fascinated by how badly he would travel and still pull it out of the fire. Great guts in a battle and we were hugely lucky to have seen him race so successfully.

Lovely, lovely horse, and a real shame for connections.

However, his lass was a pain, and an attention seeker, and took a little away from the celebrtions for me.

His way of racing, being wound up from a long way out, was great to watch. Him beating Kasbah Bliss was certainly the highlight of the 2008 festival for me.

Really sad news. To have been such a toughie on the track and succumb to colic so quickly in retirement is awful.

Lovely, lovely horse, and a real shame for connections.

However, his lass was a pain, and an attention seeker, and took a little away from the celebrtions for me.

His way of racing, being wound up from a long way out, was great to watch. Him beating Kasbah Bliss was certainly the highlight of the 2008 festival for me.

No need for that comment IMHO.

There's more than a bit of truth in it though! Jinny only took over the horse after he had won his first Stayers' when the his original lass (who had looked after him since he'd come to the yard) had left; she is devastated even though she left a few years ago. I'm gutted too; Drever was a sweet little horse and tough as teak.

(have to say, Im more than a little in agreement - but really feel for all his lads over the years - he must have been a dream horse to do)

RIP Drever - thanks for the memories

Was honoured to see him win all 3 of his Stayers titles. He was a wonderful horse who was a pleasure to watch. RIP Inglis Drever, but thanks for so many wonderful memories.

ingliportrait.jpg

Oh jeez - now you mention it (and now I think of it), what price we'll have the fame-crazed groom plastered all over the papers, and probably interviewed on Channel 4?!? Can't wait :ninja:

Last edited:
This was nice to see on the RP website. Let's hope Ladbrokes do the right thing and we have the Inglis Drever Stayers' Hurdle next March! :D

Cheltenham to honour popular Inglis Drever

BY DAVID CARR10.27AM 17 OCT 2009

CHELTENHAM will honour Inglis Drever with a tribute over the public address and a screening of his third Ladbrokes World Hurdle victory before racing on Saturday.

His former trainer Sir Mark Prescott has also acknowledged the 'great service' done to him by the popular hurdler.

Following Saturday's tribute, Cheltenham will consider the best way of commemorating Graham Wylie's stayer, who died on Friday, with one possible option being to name a race in his honour.

Cheltenham managing director Edward Gillespie said: "Let's think of the most appropriate way of honouring him. We will sit down with Ladbrokes, sponsors of the World Hurdle - because of his association with that race they would be the first port of call.

"The nearest comparison would probably be Relkeel, who has a race named after him, at a different time of year. It is always difficult with the Festival horses because there isn't that much room at the Festival in race-names but there are many other ways we have achieved in the past of paying tribute to horses, riders, trainers and others.

"Let's not be rushed into it - let's do it right rather than do it quick."

Sir Mark Prescott paid tribute to Inglis Drever on Saturday, whom he trained on the Flat before his highly successful jumping career.

He won four handicaps with the gutsy stayer before he was sold to join Howard Johnson for 110,000gns in 2003, and the trainer recalled: "He was a very good-looking yearling. He was always a delightful horse, always very easy, very straightforward - like most good horses he did it all himself.

"Obviously he did us a great service because he was a very useful horse, he was very unlucky to miss the cut by one for the Ebor which was his great day, and because he sold well, he started what has been a symbiotic relationship with Mr Howard Johnson and Mr Wylie whereby we have been lucky enough to sell them some nice horses like No Refuge and others who have done them well.

"I happened to watch one of his first hurdle races at Warwick and I have never seen a horse hurdle so quickly, that was the thing that impressed me. He just flicked over them, he never altered his stride for them.

"The rest is all credit to Mr Johnson and Mr Wylie."

Back