Inglis Drever

sunybay

At the Start
After watching what Wilie horses are doing this season just wondering how many stayers this horse would have won if trained by Mullins or Nicholls.

The worst part of Hojos punishment must be watching what Willie Mullins is doing with his former inmates.

I see Felix Yonger's just won a Grade 2 at Naas. He'd already won, but was the only one of the four to run for Mullins of Wylie's to not have won a big prize so far. He's now won a Grade 1 and Grade 2 with Boston Bob, a Thyestes with On His own, the Bobbyjo with Prince De Beauchene and today's Grade 2 with Felix Yonger. In total, 7 winners from 10 runners. Top quality.

It shows that, whatever Howard did as a trainer[ not condoning him in any way] he must have had an eye for a horse as he was surely involved in the purchase of the horses?

Last edited:
I reckon with Wylie's chequebook I'd buy a few good horses.
Especially as he'd have potential vendors literally banging on his door. I like the (probably apocryphal) story of another northern trainer who phoned Howard to see if GW would like to purchase a recent impressive bumper winner that he had sent out. The trainer in question suggested £70k might be a reasonable figure. "Not enough!" replied Howard, and slammed the phone down.

Did I say "probably apocryphal"? Good. :whistle:

A lot more

Have I slipped into some parallel universe in which Inglis Drever was an unsuccessful horse? He won or was placed in 20 of his 23 hurdles starts for connections and won the Stayers/World Hurdle at 6, 8 and 9, missing the race as a 7yo. Since no 5yo has ever won and only one horse above nine, I don’t really see how anyone could have done much better with him.

I've always viewed him as a horse that overachieved rather than underachieved. There are better horses than ID who have achieved much less.

Last edited:
Spot on SteveM,

I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that Johnson didn't get the best out of some of the horses that Mullins now has.

But Inglis Drever was absolutely rock solid for years, including after coming back from a tendon injury.

Criticising Johnson is de rigeur at the moment, but he handled ID impeccably, I reckon.

Back