International Classifications?

I was a little bit surprised to see St. Nicholas Abbey get "only" 124, in what looked a very good year for juveniles.

It's quite impressive in context. As mentioned in the RP, it's half a stone higher than High Chaparral, Motivator and Authorised managed for winning the same race.

It's also interesting that the top three 2yos in the classification achieved their ratings at a mile or further. Here's hoping they all turn up at Epsom.

I'm intrigued at the difference in ratings between the ICs and RPRs at the end of last season.

RPRs seem to have had a rethink about the Dewhurst. They rated Beethoven 118+ at the time, with the others accordingly close behind. In their end of season summary, they've brought Beethoven back to 112 with the others off the list which cuts off at 110. RPRs have also gone low on Vale Of York at just 111.

I'll have a decko at the the 2yo ICs and put up a comparison with my own although some of the Irish and French form is less easy to compare with fewer 'common denominator' races in the form book.

As an aside, can it be concluded that since the average for the top ten 2yos is 118.6, quite a long way behind the average for 3yos and older horses, that the wfa scale isn't generous enough towards 2yos?

Last edited:
It's quite impressive in context. As mentioned in the RP, it's half a stone higher than High Chaparral, Motivator and Authorised managed for winning the same race.

It's also interesting that the top three 2yos in the classification achieved their ratings at a mile or further. Here's hoping they all turn up at Epsom.

Given the domination of Montjeu's and Galileo's surely this is a trend that is likely to continue.

I have never been a great fan of the horse Aqlaam and think he is vastly flattered at 120.

They rate STS 140 or 141 though don't they Gareth? So they use a slightly different scale.

Ratings are only intended as a guide so i'm just ignoring that guide when it comes to this debate! I just can't have Aqlaam anything higher than 120 but i'll agree that Goldikova is worth her rating - Thanks for the explanation.

I just can't have Aqlaam anything higher than 120 but i'll agree that Goldikova is worth her rating.

but if, according to your previous comment:

I don't compile ratings so pardon my ignorance

how can you make the Aqlaam claim? Or agree with the Goldikova one?

I suspect the big Timeform rating (RPR 125) was hit in the Moulin (sounds painful), usually one of the top mile races of the year, but I think it was a weakish affair this year. I think Timeform took a literal line via Oiseau De Feu.

I rated the JLM via Aqlaam to his previous best (121 in the Queen Anne), which put Goldikova on 132 plus whatever she had in reserve. This would be the equivalent of a 135+ rating for a colt, which would put her close to the top milers of modern times.

Do, you're right I don't compile so I can't really back my argument.

I'll rephrase it though. From my own race reading and form knowledge I would suggest that Aqlaam was a sub standard G1 performer. Translated to ratings, a sub standard G1 horse would achieve what kind of rating? In my own mind I believe Aqlaam was a decent G2 animal who managed to pick up a weak G1.

I rate that race:
Goldikova 135+
Aqalaam 124
Virtual 114

The Moulin:
Aqalaam 124
Famous N 121
Virtual 116

On that day Goldikova for me was better than Miesque or Bosra Sham (the best mares I have seen since I follow the sport)

Do, you're right I don't compile so I can't really back my argument.

I'll rephrase it though. From my own race reading and form knowledge I would suggest that Aqlaam was a sub standard G1 performer. Translated to ratings, a sub standard G1 horse would achieve what kind of rating? In my own mind I believe Aqlaam was a decent G2 animal who managed to pick up a weak G1.

It wasn't meant as a dig, Aragorn, more of an observation. Why not try going down the route of transferring your reading of races and knowledge of form into ratings. You might surprise yourself. Certainly your reading of Aqlaam is very close to mine!

Back