Ireland Officially In Recession.

I've been to Paris quite a few times also - I'm not sure how much it would cost in Dublin but 2 croissants and 2 coffee's (in shot glasses) near the Bois-De-Bologne racecourses came to 14,80.

Funnily enough the supermarkets seemed quite cheap - even in comparison to the UK.

Racecourse prices perhaps? I would think the standard Parisien breakfast in a cafe of coffee, orange juice, tartine w/butter and jams, and a croissant should not cost much more than 5/5.50 euro.

But, going back to Hamm's 10.17 posting, that'd be fair to say about any town or city where there is a big tourist draw, wouldn't it? You could take tea in Betty's Tea Rooms in Harrogate for a tidy old sum, as it's the visitors' thing to do, but a typical little caff round the corner would cost a third less. Same here in Brighton - you can eat out on the seafront or at one of the boutique bistros for a good 25% more than at troughs not near the sea or the theatres.

For most places on a visitor's map there'll always be tourist prices for their areas, and normal prices for those off its edges. I could eat fairly lightly in Carluccio's at one end of Jubilee Street here and get little change from a tenner, while the same amount would buy three people a large lunch at Tiffany's, the greasy spoon at the other end of a parallel street. But Carluccio's offers a modern bistro style to the chattering classes, while Tiffany's offers wipe-clean furniture and the local builders reading The Sun.

Anybody know the answer to this question form a mate?

Bazz,

I have a winning bet to collect from celtic bookmakers. Placed in bookies we used to go into close to Goldsmith Hall but now that shop has been sold to Powers. The shop in Naas is also shut down and I am not sure where I can collect. Their website has been taken down off internet so i cannot find locations of shops.

Do you know of any Celtic still open or can you throw a question onto forum about ways to claim or shops that are still open for business?

He is certain to be paid but give the clown a slap on the back of the head for waiting so long to collect:

STAFF at the five Celtic Bookmakers shops in Cork have yet to be informed of their futures.

It was announced on Tuesday that the betting shop chain has been placed in receivership.
Owner and former Fine Gael TD, Ivan Yates, said that the company's revenue had halved over the past three years.
The company employs 237 people at 45 betting shops in Ireland but it is hoped over 100 of those jobs can be saved.
The chain has a shop at Coburg Street in Cork as well as branches in Cobh, Kanturk, Mallow and Clonakilty.

Many of the shops will be sold, while others will close in the coming days, while the company has stated that all bets will be honoured.
Speaking to the Cork Independent, a staff member at the Coburg Street store confirmed all bets will honoured.
“If the shop closes, there will be a notice on the door with a number people can ring to get their money back. We have heard nothing yet about the shop closing.”
At its peak, Celtic Bookmakers was making an operating profit of €4m a year, but Allied Irish Banks appointed a receiver to the company this week.

The firm has bank debts of around €6m, along with rents owing to landlords.
Mr Yates has said he will take a break from his broadcasting job with Newstalk for three weeks to deal with the receivership; he presents the morning show at the station.
The company’s website appears to have been taken down and a further announcement is expected next week.

Is it just me or are things getting worse in Ireland almost by the hour. I have never witnessed a whole nation in such a state of absolute depression. Retail sales have fallen off a cliff since the middle of the second week in January!! Everybody is scared shitless of losing their jobs and our brightest young talent is leaving the country by the plane load! The world's economy is tanking out too with little signs of recovery - we look like being the first generation of human kind to be worse off than our predecessors. Where the fuck are we going from here??:(

Last edited:
Fully agree with you. I have never been in a worse position financially, and cant say im optimistic about any future prospects in this country. My wages and hours keep going down yet the cost of living stays the same, if not going up...im thinking insurance,car tax, esb, phone..its ridiculous.

It is costing me money to go to work, if i stayed at home and collected the social welfare id be better off...This isnt me going off on a rant, its a fact. Im doing more work voluntarily such is my position at work, that im working 40 hrs for less than the dole. Its f*cking depressing.

And now we have an election. More bullshit from more wankers with egos to satisfy.

A guy that i was in school with and shared a room with in first year in college is running in my area. This guy hasnt lived here since he was 18. He has been booted out of a political party for alleged misdemenours. He will argue any point for you to the death if there is a few quid in it for him. He is everything that is wrong with Irish politics. I cannot believe the cheek he has to put himself up as a candidate. He has no hope of getting in, but I really do feel there should be jail for people like him...

The dole queue punting the €200 a week on long odds on or bad ew sounds like fun. My wages are down €200 a month, my expenses are the same or higher. It's not as much fun as it used to be. I've offset the cost my not paying for the LUAS at a save of €60 a month. Any ideas where I can make up the balance?

I debunked to Leeds straight after college (nearly three years ago now). Luckily enough I've a stable job in a corporation with offices all over the world. I had always pictured myself living in England for two or three years and then coming back home. There's more chance of me going to Paris or New York or Chicago now than there is me coming back to Dublin (much less Meath) any time soon. I've a brother (carpenter) out in Australia and a sister thinking seriously of going to Canada if she doesn't get a job soon.

We'll survive though. We always have done.

Last edited:
And now we have an election. More bullshit from more wankers with egos to satisfy.

A guy that i was in school with and shared a room with in first year in college is running in my area. This guy hasnt lived here since he was 18. He has been booted out of a political party for alleged misdemenours. He will argue any point for you to the death if there is a few quid in it for him. He is everything that is wrong with Irish politics. I cannot believe the cheek he has to put himself up as a candidate. He has no hope of getting in, but I really do feel there should be jail for people like him...

Chap I went to school and played ball with, his Mother is a well known labour TD who is retiring (never guess who :rolleyes:) He's a sulky spoilt little bitch but his Mother was trying to pull a fast one to get him on the ticket and basically inherit her vote. Luckily there was uproar with the other heads looking for the nomination and he didn't get it. Basically they're all the same, labour haven been slating FF for years for being corrupt which they are and than one of their long standing TD's , a former Minister trys that. They can all go and shite.

I actually think he came out of this whole fiasco with his dignity mostly intact. History will decide whether he should have made better decisions with the information available to him, but I believe it was his own dedication to public service, and sense of personal responsibility that drove him on to make the last months of his life far less comfortable than they might have been.

I agree with Mel. He was nothing if not dedicated and should be remembered as a patriot. Another very sad day for the Lenihans.
R.I.P

Probably best to leave it at that for the moment.

Back