Irish 2000 Guineas

Betfair prices at the moment :

Mastercraftsman 2.94
Delegator 4.5
Rayeni 5

If we knew Delegator acted on this sort of ground he would be looking a very attractive price.

Will heavy ground around a bend be a much stiffer test of stamina than the race at Newmarket on the straight track that was run at a good gallop throughout? He may well bomb out but I'm happy to pay to found out at 7/2.

Curragh mile is a fair bit stiffer than the Rowley Mile whatever the ground. The Newmarket Guineas didn't look to be run at anything more than a relatively pedestrian gallop for the first three furlongs or so.

I think the ground dictates, and the form isn't much help; pedigrees may be indicative however.

It could be between Rayeni and Recharge, with MCM also in the frame. As I backed MCM in the Guineas and lost I'm going for Rayeni (with a small fun combi RFC) - so now doubt MCM will romp in LOL

I don't fancy Delegator on this ground. Soul City will handle it, unlike some others - he's much better on Soft so far and rates the livliest outsider.

Are they going to be keeping fresh ground for the race? It's quite late in the afternoon

Hayes doesnt seem confident Recharge will get through the ground, but I have to think he will relish it. A son of Rebelline surely has to like it? He's my pick..

Delegator's price is tempting, the worries about the ground etc are well mentioned but nothing seems to coming from behind in that ground so Spencer will not want to give him too much to do.

It could be between Rayeni and Recharge, with MCM also in the frame. As I backed MCM in the Guineas and lost I'm going for Rayeni (with a small fun combi RFC) - so now doubt MCM will romp in LOL

I don't fancy Delegator on this ground. Soul City will handle it, unlike some others - he's much better on Soft so far and rates the livliest outsider.

Well I got the right four - but in slightly the wrong order :rolleyes:

Lovely run from MCM - didn't back him today, so as I said.... LOL.
Lovely horse, great attitude, and I'm glad to see him win

Last edited:
Training any horse to win a Guineas takes a lot out of them, and Manton has very stiff exposed gallops. I'm not surprised by Delegator's run today tbh and wonder if we've seen the best of him for the season already? Granted the ground didn't suit him; however I think he's going to be hard to place esp if he doesn't handle undulations at all - but surely he's been trained on hill gallops?

Another quality Group 1 winner from Ballydoyle that had a proper campaign as a 2 year old. Mastercraftsman already made his debut at this stage last year.

Never thought Delegator could win this irrespective of the ground.

The good horse won with a minimum of fuss. Shame they didn't have him ready for Newmarket, the "blunt instrument" would have given Sea The Stars a race.

Back