Irish Champion Stakes Day

Guest_

At the Start
Aside from the Ballydoyle horses the only other confirmation I have heard is that Famous Name will be taking part all being well. Other than him I am struggling to see what else is going to challenge the Ballydoyle horses. We were treated last year to STS, F&G and Mastercraftsman!

Ground conditions are likely to be on the fast side of good as well with the forecast looking pretty good for the rest of this week and well into next week.

Matron Stakes, Kilternan Stakes and some classy maidens...always a great card.

10f talent is a bit thin on the ground this year if neither of the Abdulla horses come over .

I think Poet is coming over but I could see a very small field for this with half of them Ballydoyle horses.

Surely a non competitive race with FAG probably 1/3 Fav.

I know we've had this discussion on another thread, but reading between the lines I don't think it's a given that F&G runs. I think they might just be considering it for Rip (along with Cape Blanco). Probably wishful thinking on my part as I'll be there and would love to see Rip in the flesh (I've seen F&G umpteen times up the Curragh this year).

By the way, any significance in the fact that Dixie Music isn't entered in the Champion?

As Galileo says, it's a always a good day's racing

Last edited:
Irish Champion Stakes

Cavalryman
Fame And Glory
Fame Name
Poet
Rip Van Winkle
Twice Over
Beethoven
Black Quartz
Cape Blanco
Sea Lord (supplemented)

Matron Stakes

Pyrrha
Spacious
Straqberrydaiquiri
Alsalwa
Bethrah
Devoted To You
Gile Na Greine
Hen Night (supplemented)
Jacqueline Quest
Lillie Langtry
Long Lashes
Music Show
Rainfall

Kilternan Stakes

Cashelgar
Distant Memories
Grand Admiral
Great Wisdom
Nanton
South Easter
Vitruvian Man
Indiana Gal
Rose Hip
Noll Wallop
Await The Dawn
Carazam
Icon Dream
Steinbeck
Devoted To You

Is the track a worry for Twice Over? I have it in my mind that the likes of Newmarket and York might be more his type of tracks than Ascot or Leopardstown.

If Fame And Glory is given the ride Gal and SteveM have been banging the drum for since last year I think he could be very difficult to peg back.

For a laugh:

7/4 Twice Over
9/4 Fame And Glory
13/2 Cape Blanco
12/1 Sea Lord
20/1 Famous Name
25/1 Beethoven

A million the rest.

edit: Sea Lord to exceed rating of 120: 6/5

Last edited:
Fame And Glory will certainly start favourite but I can see Twice Over giving him a race under these conditions.

I would have Twice Over ahead of Fame And Glory in the market personally on 10f form.

I thought his run behind Sea The Stars in last year's race was bombproof - though I'm beginning to think I probably over-rated that run.

Anyone in the Tote Go Racing Club can avail of this offer -

"You can go to this top class racemeeting for only €10 (usually €20). In addition you will receive a FREE €3 betting voucher and a FREE tea or coffee for the Leopardstown Lounge where a tipster will be on hand throughout the day."

Free to sign up and time to do it if anyone is going.

Anyone in the Tote Go Racing Club can avail of this offer -

"You can go to this top class racemeeting for only €10 (usually €20). In addition you will receive a FREE €3 betting voucher and a FREE tea or coffee for the Leopardstown Lounge where a tipster will be on hand throughout the day."

Free to sign up and time to do it if anyone is going.

They even rang me up today to remind me of the offer....

Fame And Glory will definitely go off favourite on the day provided he is fit and well.

Unless of course Rip goes for this and leaves Fame free for the Arc trial. A lot will depend on the going I suppose. I think its firmish at the moment (which would suggest Rip rather than Fame to me), any rain due?

They won't want to put Rip up against Canford in the QEII if they secure the Canford deal (not that they would have before).

Last edited:
Unless of course Rip goes for this and leaves Fame free for the Arc trial. A lot will depend on the going I suppose. I think its firmish at the moment (which would suggest Rip rather than Fame to me), any rain due?

They won't want to put Rip up against Canford in the QEII if they secure the Canford deal (not that they would have before).

I think you have it spot on Steve, Rip will not want to meet Canford and anyway a mile looks too short for him this season. The only question is does Fame And Glory need a prep otherwise I cannot see him running.

Last edited:
Rip will stay at 10f IMO - there'd be nothing to gain from racing against a horse they've purchase and I don't think anyone would be that keen on taking on Makfi in his own back yard, not least Coolmore.

I must be reading the O'Brien quotes wrong...another one issued today.

""We'll see how the horses are over the next few days and then make plans. Rip hasn't done a whole lot since York whereas we've always had the Leopardstown race pencilled in for Fame And Glory and Cape Blanco."

Sounds very much to be that F&G goes for the Irish Champion - with Rip Van Winkle then dropping to a mile. The purchase of Canford Cliffs will not stop them running RVW against him - RVW is retiring at the end of this season - and if it did does that mean O'Brien will not take him on at all next season? Me thinks not.

Even Fame And Glory's return to action had Irish Champion Stakes prep written all over it.

Though maybe Ladbrokes know...

By Racing Post staff 7:36PM 30 AUG 2010
LADBROKES on Monday installed Rip Van Winkle as 11-8 favourite for the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on Saturday - and left outFame And Glory from their lists in the expectation that he will miss the race.

RELATED LINKS

In the absence of firm running plans from Aidan O'Brien, who trains both multiple Group 1 winners, Ladbrokes took the view that Fame And Glory would be more likely to head to the Prixde l'Arc de Triomphe in October, a race for which he is their 3-1 favourite. But in contrast to Ladbrokes, Paddy Power made Fame And Glory their 4-5 favourite, offering Rip Van Winkle 'with a run' only.
O'Brien could also choose from Irish Derby winner Cape Blanco, Beethoven and Black Quartz in the Irish Champion, but is unlikely to reveal plans until later in the week.
The prospect of fast ground at Leopardstown could be preying on O'Brien's mind, and on Monday the going was reported as officially firm, good to firm in places.
Tom Burke, manager of Leopardstown, confirmed that watering took place again at the Dublin track in light of a bright forecast for the rest of the week.
"We watered some of the track on Saturday and started again today and we'll take it day by day. The forecast is good right through to Saturday when there is a slight risk of some rain, but nothing of any great consequence," Burke said.
"We started watering the inner section where the seven-furlong races take place on Saturday and we concentrated on the wider section today."
Coral-Eclipse winner Twice Over, runner up to Rip Van Winkle at York earlier in August, is an intended runner in the Irish Champion as is Sea Lord, the Totesport Mile winner trained in Yorkshire by Mark Johnston and supplemented to the Group 1 contest at a cost of €75,000 by his owner, Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum.
Paddy Power installed Falmouth Stakes winner Music Show as 3-1 favourite for the key support race, the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes. Next bestis Lillie Langtry at 7-2, with Bethrah an 11-2 chance.
Bethrah has not run sinceMay when she won the Irish 1,000 Guineas but trainer Dermot Weld said: "The present plan is to run Bethrah provided the ground is safe and we'll see closer to the time how things are going with the ground."

Back